• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5: LotR Comments and Series ??

kok

I heard that Sci-Fi where pretty satisfied with the pilot movie and had already approved the making of the tv series, but does anybody knows when will it first (tvseries) episode will premiere??

I live in Brasil and the (pilot) movie will take six months or more to reach here, so I download it from the net, kazaa to be more specific, nearly 900Mb in two files .mpg.

I got say, it appear that it will be a good movie, except for some cliche dialogs and the fact that the captain still maintain that profile "I´m better than everybody", Straczynsk is cursed by the success of B5 that he doesn't seen to repeat, even with obviously a higher budget in this new series.

B5: Legend of the Rangers is without any doubt a potentially good series, I really liked B5, but really hated B5: Crusade.

By the way, what do you guys think about Straczynsk put Mithology in almost everything that he does?? Does Liandra really needed to be a cursed ship??

------------------

Diego Warlock
kok_warlock@hotmail.com
-------------------

Childhood ends when
you know you gonna
die...

I'm afraid no decision has been made on a Rangers series. (Unless you know something the rest of us don't know!) We are letter-writing in hopes that it might help a bit.

JMS studied religion very thoroughly. I believe he said that is what really makes an atheist: to really study all of the religions in the world (or something like that). Yes, he uses a lot of it in his work. I wonder how much he'll use in Jerimiah (I won't be seeing it until/unless it is later shown on a more available cable channel).

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I heard that Sci-Fi where pretty satisfied with the pilot movie and had already approved the making of the tv series, but does anybody knows when will it first (tvseries) episode will premiere??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately the series has not been given a green light yet as the ratings were not as good as SciFi had hoped for, due to several reasons (mostly a football game) - or if it has, then the general public does not know of it yet.

So there is no way to say when the first episode would air - although I think it would take at least half a year *after* a series is approved.

Until an announcement, whether positive or negative (well, there won't be a big announcement if the decision is negative but we'll surely find out about it), all we can do is hope that there will be a series.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Maybe the folks at Scifi are sticking their heads in the sand trying to figure out what to do.
lol.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

JMS said the questioning and examining your beliefs is how you grow, not really the same thing.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
JMS said the questioning and examining your beliefs is how you grow, not really the same thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean about the Atheist stuff ? As I remember JMS said he was atheist in an interview or two.

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

Yes, JMS Does say that he is an Athiest.

He also said that he has read the Entire Christain bible. TWICE.

Which is probably more often (and more completely) than 99% of professed Christians.

JMS treats all Religions with respect, not because he is a believer in any of them, but because he believes that it is Rude to offer gratuitious insults to people for any reason.

Disrespect for someone over a sincere belief in anything is the ultimate rudeness.
Just because you belive someone is Wrong, is no reason to insult them.

You have to wait until that belief does YOU harm.
And even then, you owe disrespect Only to the person who actually Committed the offense.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited February 12, 2002).]

"Disrespect for someone over a sincere belief in anything is the ultimate rudeness.
Just because you belive someone is Wrong, is no reason to insult them.

You have to wait until that belief does YOU harm.
And even then, you owe disrespect Only to the person who actually Committed the offense."

This is completely UNTRUE. This is like saying "everybody has a valid opinion".

Not everyone has a valid opinion! Not every ones opinions and beliefs are to be respected. I have no right to treat everyones opinion the same!

CLEARLY, many people have stupid beliefs and opinions, for they are only as good as the reasons that support them! And it is my OBLIGATION to voice my countering opinion, if is that the case, to anyone who doesnt believe with me, so we may come to the truth! If I believe anything that differs, I must SURELY counter the opposition, in hopes of coming to the truth.

An offense must not do me harm as a precident. Furthermore, a presumed stupid belief DOES justify my disrespect for them. Not everyone is entitled to to my respect, for that is formed, if based on their beliefs, from their REASONS underlieing their belief, not the fact that, hell, *theyre humans too! they deserve respect for what they think!*

Anyhow, devils advocate here, kinda. But whatever.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:
And it is my OBLIGATION to voice my countering opinion, if is that the case, to anyone who doesnt believe with me, so we may come to the truth! If I believe anything that differs, I must SURELY counter the opposition, in hopes of coming to the truth.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would have every right to voice your opinion, present your arguments, yes. But would you also have to be rude and disrespectful while doing that?

Belief is such a strange thing. At least in my opinion, it's largely based on faith, not reason, thus it's hard to argue with valid reasoning.

I believe there is no God, no higher being, very many people believe otherwise. At the moment it would seem that neither side can present truly valid proof for their belief.

Should I as an atheist therefore disrespect what e.g. Christians, Muslims or Pagans believe - should I be rude to them because my beliefs are different than theirs? And should they be rude to me for thinking - believing - something they don't?

Voicing a different opinion is most often a very good thing, at least when it comes to matters of reason. Faith, however, is - to me - not a matter of reason but of... um, for the lack of a better word, faith. Sure both sides can base that faith on something but that's hardly enough to claim the other side is stupid and deserves no respect.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

I strongly agree with you Kribu. Even though i'm not the most devout christian in the world i'm still a christian. I have many, actually probally more, friends that are athiest than i do that are christian. The thing is though, that i don't have a closed mind about other peoples beliefs like most die-hard christians do. I'll speak my opinion and share my beliefs but if someone disagrees with me about them then no big deal. We might have a friendly little debate or two along the way but i'll still treat them with the respect that EVERY human being deserves as long as they don't do anything harmful to me. Given the fact that there are complete and total assholes out there, but most people will treat you with the same amount of respect that you give them. Remember the old saying "Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you."

Sinc
Jerome Easter

------------------
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One. We die for the one.

Just to be clear, when I said that I heard that Sci-Fi were pretty satisfied with B5: Legend of the Rangers, and that they may already had approved the series. I heard that in a news.server, I really don't have any inside information, but now since we are in the topic, aren't Straczynsk team in Canada working??? or they are just sitting there doing nothing while Sci-Fi may be trying to cancel the project??

------------------

Diego Warlock
kok_warlock@hotmail.com
-------------------

Childhood ends when
you know you gonna
die...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> aren't Straczynsk team in Canada working??? or they are just sitting there doing nothing while Sci-Fi may be trying to cancel the project?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you gotta look around this site some more. There's a whole forum dedicated to his next series, Jeremiah, as well as a whole other slew of work he's doing.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teekas Dragon:
I strongly agree with you Kribu. Even though i'm not the most devout christian in the world i'm still a christian. I have many, actually probally more, friends that are athiest than i do that are christian. The thing is though, that i don't have a closed mind about other peoples beliefs like most die-hard christians do. I'll speak my opinion and share my beliefs but if someone disagrees with me about them then no big deal. We might have a friendly little debate or two along the way but i'll still treat them with the respect that EVERY human being deserves as long as they don't do anything harmful to me. Given the fact that there are complete and total assholes out there, but most people will treat you with the same amount of respect that you give them. Remember the old saying "Do unto others as you'd have others do unto you."

Sinc
Jerome Easter

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Teekas. I too am a Christian, but I do not try to force my beliefs on anyone, nor do I want someone trying to do that to me. I respect other people's beliefs. I don't think that religion or lack thereof is a basis on which to judge anyone. In the chatroom I go to we have a few Christians, a couple of athiests, a practicer of Wicca, and some that haven't said what they believe and we all get along just fine.

As to JMS being an athiest and making references to religion in his show, I think he is just acknowleding that religion exists, but doesn't necessarily believe personally in what he has included in the show.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

It's only the religious extremists who are intolerant, but most religious people aren't extremists. As a person who isn't religious, I have to remind myself of that every so often!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> As to JMS being an athiest and making references to religion in his show, I think he is just acknowleding that religion exists, but doesn't necessarily believe personally in what he has included in the show. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Exactly it.
Religion is a Fact of Life and is not likely to go away in the next couple hundred years.

In fact, at one point, Franklin & Garibaldi discuss the fact that Franklin's religion is actually a NEW one that came about because of meeting Ohter Intelligent Life (well, the Centauri, but still...
wink.gif
).
The dialogue says that the shock of finding Proof that Humans are not Alone caused a lot of upheaval in Human religious thought and created a whole bunch of New religions and splintering of Old beliefs as people tried to reconcile "Humans as God's greatest creation" with the fact that there were hundreds of Other "Greatest Creations" running around the galaxy.

The one fact that is most obvious in all this is that JMS always treated Religion with respect.

Well, except for Garibaldi's scene with the "Holy Dagger".
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

At least it wasnt a 'Holy Hand-grenade.'

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Atheisim is not a belief. It is the lack of a belief or religion. As one I just wanted to clear that up.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

Hrrm...I know of an Atheist who would probably argue differently. A belief in nothing is still a belief.

I like what JMS did with religion in B5. He showed it in a number of angles and in a number of lights. There was one season one episode I liked alot (I forget the name) where each species was supposed to do a demonstration of their cultures religous beliefs. Sinclair invited a representative of every religion on Earth (presumably as many as he could find) to Babylon 5. The message was that there is no one religion, no one belief and that there is much diversity.

------------------
-- IceFire

I believe that was the end of Parliament of Dreams. I always liked that too.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Actually Atheism is a belief. People who are athiest believe that there is no God. Agnostic is more of a lack of belief. People who are agnostic don't believe there is a god, nor do they believe there isn't. They are just kinda unsure.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back