• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

b5 fans moan too much

DaRkEnEdStAr

Regular
b5 fans moan too much /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
stop complaining especially about the season 2 artwork !!!! my god man !!!! just watch the £$%&* dvd when it comes out and accept it !!! /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I am only praying that the disks don't come loose like with the season 1 set. Better packaging is my prayer.

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The season 2 packaging is technically a very poorly done piece of work. I'm not complaining because the artwork sucks, I'm simply critiquing the design. I've spent years studying design, and this one is dripping with faults. Season one was much better.

Will it stop me from buying/watching the DVD's? Not a chance.

[mr burns] You have made yourself a powerful enemy today DaRkEnEdStAr /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif [/mr burns]

Hey moaning has got us B5 fans a lot. We got season 5, dvd's, Crusade, and LoTR. Well maybe not the last two.

What's wrong with Crusade, it rocks. If given a chance half a chance, not 13 shows, it may have surpassed B5.

Cerberus

That cover is one of the worst things I've seen in ages, and I haven't moaned about the S1 discs, the novels or anything else in a long while, so let me please vent my frustration at this horrid thing here. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's not as if I'm going to go out of my way to tell people (who are not B5 fans yet but might potentially become interested in it) that they shouldn't buy the DVDs because the box artwork is horrid. And it's not as if I'm going to not buy the box because it looks like this.

And as Derian, I'm basing my "moaning" on my professional/educational background, as an art critic. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Sometimes one just cannot stay quiet over things this bad.

And as Derian, I'm basing my "moaning" on my professional/educational background, as an art critic. Sometimes one just cannot stay quiet over things this bad. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And for similar reasons, I have a hard time staying quiet on the subject of "ramming speed." /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If fact, I promised on rastb5m that I'd never bring it up again over there.

"complaining about the court is part of the game, John"

and i still LOVE the cover art lol, and i'm sticking to it!

And I still like the cover-art muchly too *joins LightNZ* /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Go Sheridan and Delenn - go Season 2!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've spent years studying design
Could you knock up a design then? No, really, please could you? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No critisism intended in the slightest, honestly, but I do dislike situations where people knock other people's work without offering alternatives. In general the response to this cover art has been negative rather than positive critisism (I think it was tygirwulf who suggested that the white explosion was replaced with space - the only positive comment I can recall).

Now I know that I'm unable to do better then the cover we have, but I do feel it can be improved. To address the imbalance can we try to focus more on suggesting alternatives rather then stating general dislikes?

The more talented folk could even post their concepts. That automatically means you'll get no such thing from me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yep, me neither. But then, I'm the critic, not the artist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what's bad. Which is why I don't even attempt to make art myself... if I had to look at something I did myself, I'd die of embarrassment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for possible "positive" suggestions:

(1) Change the colour into something a bit darker and not so "icy"
(2) Replace the pic of Sheridan by ... well, a pic of G'Kar semi-nude would always work for me but I suppose even a pic of a *well-drawn* Sheridan might help /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
(3) Change the layout into something else instead of the triangular one-in-front, flanked by others (not to mention the perspective is quite off... for the others to look *that* much smaller than Sheridan, they must be standing a lot further away!)
(4) Make both the yellow 5 and the blue Babylon lettering a bit darker/brighter, to stand out better (with 1st season set, you notice the logo a lot better than the 2nd season set)
(5) Oh, and *please* change Sheridan's hair! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Those suggestions good enough for you? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In my ever so humble opinion, even those little changes might help.

So I may be bad for not making suggestions, but that thing on Sheridans head is wrong! Kill the quiff!

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It doesn't take an engineer to know that a bridge was badly designed when it falls down. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, but there is a difference between making and critiquing. Like it or lump it, there is a difference.

my suggestion would be to have only three characters on the cover (if i could choose, they would be Sheridan, Garibaldi and Talia). this looks way too crouded i think.

and of course fire the artist heh- unless he or she is the same one from s1, i liked that cover, untill not long ago i thought they were actual photos, not drawings. in that case then give him/her more time to improve Sheridan and Delenn /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Having less characters would definitely be better.

Anyway, basically, I see two *main* issues with the cover, both quite easily improvable if you don't want to change everything: change the colours just a bit (I don't have a problem with the blue as such but it feels a bit too cold because of the whiteness, and is in too sharp contrast with the fire-hot glow of S1), and redraw Sheridan.

Wouldn't make it perfect but might make it at least tolerable.

Losing a couple of characters (which would take care of the amateurish, "I don't have a clue what to do with all the characters so I'll just arrange them like a triangle" layout) and tweaking the logo colours would be the next steps.

Hyp, the bridge could easily have fallen through poor construction rather than design. Too many mafia victims in the concrete supports or something /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is there a reason that photos aren't used?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back