• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Books..

FreeBaGeL

Regular
I think there might have been a post about this a long while back, but I searched for a while and couldn't find it.

Basically, with TMoS now gone, I'm looking to keep some form of the B5 world kicking, and figured I move on to the books. Couple questions:

1. From what I've heard, the ones to read are "The Shadow WIthin," "To Dream in the City of Sorrows", the Centauri Trilogy, and the Technomage trilogy. Any particular order that's better for reading them? Also "The Shadow Within" is about the Icarus' trip to Z'hadum, right? So is it really worth spending the time to read?

2. Anyone know of any good place to find them. Amazon has most of them but only sells them in singles. Anywhere that has a good deal on say, an entire trilogy for a discounted price or anything?

Thanks in advance.

Well, The Shadow Within is good because it tells a lot about Morden and Anna that we don't know from the show. It also gives you an idea of what happens to them after they are turned into Shadow agents or whatever.

The Shadow Within is also about Sheridan's first mission as commander of the Agamemnon, the Sheridan's marriage, Kosh, the nature of the Vorlon transport, and an attempt to sabotage Babylon 5. I'd read it.

Because all the novels cover somewhat overlapping periods of time there are only three pieces of advice I would give you: 1) Read Shadow before the technomage books because Jeanne Cavelos wrote all four novels and characters introduced in Shadow return in the technomage volumes. 2) Read the technomage books before you read the Centauri trilogy, both because they come first chronologically (the Technomage books run from 2257 to 2261, the Centauri books start in 2262) and because characters from the former appear in the latter. To Dream can be read pretty much anywhere you like.

Since you didn't mention it, I would also highly recommend the Telepath trilogy if you want to understand that part of the B5 unjverse. The books cover a period from the mid-22nd century, when verifiable Human telepaths first emerge into the population (right at the same time we make First Contact with the Centuari) until 2281. Many fans have picked this as their favorite of the three trilogies, although I must confess it is not mine. I found the first book a bit of a chore to read in place, because I kept getting lost in the multiple aliases used by members of the telepath underground, but it was wroth the effort. The second two volumes, which focus on Bester and more familar events, were more to my liking. BTW, don't expect to find out much about the Telepath War here. It takes place off-stage, in between volumes 2 and 3, and is referred to, but not discussed much, in the final book.

Sorry, I've only seen the books slightly cheaper than Amazon here and there, and no special deals on the trilogies. (Overstock.com has the books for $5.49 each with regular shipping for a dollar in March, which is less than Amazon.

If anyone wanted to read the books in more-or-less strict chronological order I guess the list would look like this:

Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi Corps
Strange Relations: Bester Ascendent *
The Shadow Within *
Technomage 1: Casting Shadows
Technomage 2: Summoning Light
To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Technomage 3: Invoking Darkness
The Centauri Trilogy: Legions of Fire
1. The Long Night of Centauri Prime
2. Armies of Light and Dark
3. Out of the Darkness
Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester

* Strange Relations and To Dream in the City of Sorrows both coves a period of several years, so technically the events of The Shadow Within take place in between (or even during) chapters of Strange Relations. To Dream has a framing story set in late 2261, while the bulk of the narrative takes place in 2260 and early 61, with flashbacks to 2259. So it and Strange Relations overlap at several points - and both overlap with parts of the first two technomage books. Short of sending a reader from book to book (and back) in mid-chapter, the list above is about as chronological as one can reasonably get. I think. (Now waiting for someone to point out some obvious error I've made.)

Regards,

Joe

The trilogies; 'Shadow Within' and 'To Dream in the City of Sorrows' are the best. The other tie in books that came out you can easily miss.

The only annoying part of 'Shadow Within' that I thought was unecessary were the parts that involved B5, Delenn and Sinclair. They added nothing to the story and I felt they were only added because someone decided that there had to be a B5 scene as it was a B5 novel.

Nope. I would edit them out if I could.

I wish they'd write more. I enjoyed the books almost more than the shows. I'd read The Shadow Within before reading the Technomage trilogy.

deaded,

I don't think it's a case of writing more or not - more a case of someone being interested in publishing them. IIRC, there was some concern at Del Rey over sales of the trilogies, which seems to be borne out by the fact that they didn't want any more B5 books once the trilogies were "in the can", so to speak.

If they had earned Del Rey massive profits, they would surely have been breaking down WB/JMS' door to get them to do some more. The fact that they didn't probably says all we need to know at this point.

JMS did recently mention possible new books, but didn't say whether or not that was dependent on TMoS. New books in the B5 universe will be much easier to sell on the back of a big screen movie release than they will in isolation, so it may well be that these will not see the light of day now.

Cheers,

deaded,

I don't think it's a case of writing more or not - more a case of someone being interested in publishing them. IIRC, there was some concern at Del Rey over sales of the trilogies, which seems to be borne out by the fact that they didn't want any more B5 books once the trilogies were "in the can", so to speak.

If they had earned Del Rey massive profits, they would surely have been breaking down WB/JMS' door to get them to do some more. The fact that they didn't probably says all we need to know at this point.

Well, Del Rey did almost nothing to advertise/market them. Their advertising budget must have been on par with the weekly allowance of one of the employee's kids. :p

If you had not been active here or elsewhere on the web, would you have even known about the B5 books? They had no display units in stores, no ads for stores to put up on their display windows, nothing. The books were almost always buried in spine-on view on the shelves, sometimes (like in Barnes & Noble) in order by author, not by TV show name. Who's going to find them that way, the people who already know the authors or people perusing the shelves in a comprehensive fashion.

If I hadn't been active in the B5 online community, I'd have never known about the Del Rey B5 trilogies, or the Dell nine or the novelizations. Hell, I bet there are B5 fans who are not active online, who still don't know those books exist.

DelRey always seemed to treat the B5 books like they were obligations, like they were obligated to publish 'em, but that's all they were going to do. JMS has even called 'em "stealth books." His comments are right on the money.
Stealth Books

Looking at all to the above, how on Earth is that going to ever add up to massive sales? To expect massive sales from something like that is to be 100% delusional. :mad: :devil: :rolleyes:

KoshN, I can see how zero publicity might have something to do with it ... although being in the uK rather than the US, I wouldn't have a clue as to how much or how little publicity Del Rey did for the trilogies on your side of the pond. Over here, they were no better or worse publicised than any other TV tie-in novels - although our local Waterstones store did have a display unit for the Centauri trilogy out for quite some time once all three books were available.

The B5 mag also give them quite a bit of a push, including printing excerpts in the run up to publication (until the mag too died of course).

Channel 4 in the UK actually did a reasonable job of pushing the original series of novels - I was well aware of their existence, even though I wasn't online at the time. Just a pity the early ones were pants really. I bet quite a few people gave up after 3 or 4 poor ones and never bothered to read The Shadow Within or To Dream in the City of Sorrows, expecting more of the same.

KoshN, I can see how zero publicity might have something to do with it ... although being in the uK rather than the US, I wouldn't have a clue as to how much or how little publicity Del Rey did for the trilogies on your side of the pond.
They did almost nothing.

Over here, they were no better or worse publicised than any other TV tie-in novels - although our local Waterstones store did have a display unit for the Centauri trilogy out for quite some time once all three books were available.
Amazing! I'd like to see a picture of that.

Here is the closest thing I ever saw in the US to promoting any of the B5 trilogies.

"Final Reckoning" in face-on display at one WaldenBooks.

closeup

How B5 books are usually displayed in bookstores.

closeup

The B5 mag also give them quite a bit of a push, including printing excerpts in the run up to publication (until the mag too died of course).

And that magazine was often hard to find over here in the US. Not all of the big bookstores even carried it. Borders didn't. Some Barnes & Nobles didn't. WaldenBooks didn't. B.Dalton Booksellers didn't. The bigger news stand stores in my area didn't. The only place I could semi-reliably find it was at Barnes & Noble at The Pointe (Robinson Township on the Parkway West, in the Pitsburgh PA suburbs).

Channel 4 in the UK actually did a reasonable job of pushing the original series of novels - I was well aware of their existence, even though I wasn't online at the time. Just a pity the early ones were pants really. I bet quite a few people gave up after 3 or 4 poor ones and never bothered to read The Shadow Within or To Dream in the City of Sorrows, expecting more of the same.

I never saw them advertised over here in the US, and only came across them by accident in a bookstore. From that point on, I looked for them.

I only became aware of any B5 books when I got a flyer from the Science Fiction Book Club and they had the PSI Corps Trilogy. Then I joined here and found out about the other books. I made sure to get them all. Except for that I never saw any other advertising for them.

The only annoying part of 'Shadow Within' that I thought was unecessary were the parts that involved B5, Delenn and Sinclair. They added nothing to the story and I felt they were only added because someone decided that there had to be a B5 scene as it was a B5 novel.

I enjoyed the B5 sections. It gave us a glimpse into the earlier relationship (pre-Gathering) between Sinclair and Delenn, and the attitude toward the station in the years before it went on line. It didn't feel forced or tacked on to me.

Regards,

Joe

Over here, they were no better or worse publicised than any other TV tie-in novels

Same here. Which is to say that they also weren't any better or worse advertized than 99.9% of paperback originals published in both countries. Virtually none of it gets advertised - which also happens to be true of about 98% of all books published, period.

Books (said the guy who used to work in bookstores) have generally not been advertized the way other products are. Until the advent of the big chaiins like Waldenbooks and Barnes and Noble you never saw television advertising for a book, and rarely heard radio or even saw newspaper advertising outside of the book page or book review supplement. Even today it is only the expected non-fiction best-sellers and the handful of perpertually best selling novelists who rate an actual advertising campaign. The Star Wars novels have gotten a little press (more the novelizations than the originals) but the Trek books get very little support from the publisher.

Genre fiction (and this appiles to mysteries, romances and westerns as much ast to SF & fantasy) mostly sells to browsers, dedicated fans who walk through the paperback aisles checking out the colorful covers and the jacket copy. There isn't any point in spending any money to promote the stuff most of it is utterly disposable and advertising it to people who aren't already fans is a waste of resources.

What they could have done - but which is probably too "outside the box" (or maybe too politically incorrect) was advertise on the damned DVD sets. Or even gotten some kind of mention in the special features. Unfortunately WB owns a publishing company and even though that group chose not to publish the B5 books, the fact that they compete with Del Rey may have been enough to prevent any kind of cross promotion.

Regards,

Joe

Unfortunately WB owns a publishing company and even though that group chose not to publish the B5 books, the fact that they compete with Del Rey may have been enough to prevent any kind of cross promotion.

:me looks for banging head on brick wall smilie:

Guess Harlan Ellison was right ... the most common elements in the universe really are hydrogen and stupidity.

I enjoyed the B5 sections. It gave us a glimpse into the earlier relationship (pre-Gathering) between Sinclair and Delenn, and the attitude toward the station in the years before it went on line. It didn't feel forced or tacked on to me.

Shall we agree to disagree on this one. What you saw as background, I saw as padding. I felt it broke up the narrative flow.

Each to their own opinion. :)

Genre fiction (and this appiles to mysteries, romances and westerns as much ast to SF & fantasy) mostly sells to browsers, dedicated fans who walk through the paperback aisles checking out the colorful covers and the jacket copy. There isn't any point in spending any money to promote the stuff most of it is utterly disposable and advertising it to people who aren't already fans is a waste of resources.

I've seen cardboard displays for genre books in chain bookstores (WaldenBooks, B&N, etc.). Also, I don't exactly relish browsing through racks and racks of SF paperbacks in spine-on view, especially after a long day at work and my eyes are really tired. It all looks like a terrible, jumbled mass.

Shouldn't the publisher at least be trying to reach outside the ranks of those who are already fans?

Or just a 10 second commercial during the airing of the TV show would at least make the fans AWARE that there is such a thing. I found out by accident and then came here to find out more.

Latest posts

Members online

Back