• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Alien Anatomy

Good explanation, Joe. It makes sense that we don't have three legs, our eyes in our knees, our nose on our butt, our mouth on our shoulder, arms coming out the front and back instead of the sides, etc.

Think about how many animal forms on Earth are similar. Wolves, bears, giraffes, cats, elephants, mice, and frogs are all very different in the way they live, get food, eat food, raise their young, etc., but they all have four legs, most have tails, all have two eyes (sometimes upfront, sometimes off to the sides, but always two for depth perception), and all but the frogs have two ears.

Birds come in all different sizes, but there are none that have both arms and legs, just two legs. Almost all birds have the ability to fly, and those that do fly, fly in mostly the same way--wings. There are no "helicopter" birds.

Also, it's not just Humans who are upright, with two arms, two forward eyes, and opposable thumbs. All primates are like that, and they vary in plenty of ways too.

My point is, certain designs just *make sense*.

Also, about the only way you could get non-Human "actors" to play non-Human characters is to use Muppets (even CGI Jar Jar Binks had a human stand-in). Pilot and Rygel make interesting, articulate, believable, and "non-cute" characters on Farscape thanks to Muppets. Because of the low B5 budget, however, I'm sure JMS couldn't enlist the help of Jim Hensen folks even if he had wanted to. I think JMS and the B5 make-up artists did just great with what they had to work with.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

[This message has been edited by Ninja_Squirrel (edited September 02, 2001).]

Your point about convergence is very adequate, Joe. Another good example would be marine vertebrates: fish, whales/dolphins and seals. Although they are of different origins, living a similar life has caused them to become similar in form.

---------

The Shadows and Vorlons with their numerous and flexible claws or tentacles are quite "safe bets" for sentient tool-users.

The difference seems to have been that the Vorlons developed from ancestors who either swam or flied in a dense atmosphere... and the Shadows from predecessors who walked or climbed in difficult terrain. Given the Shadows' formidable claws and spikes their ancestors probably didn't back away from a fight... while the early Vorlons may not have necessarily been predatory.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited September 02, 2001).]

thank you. that has been bugging me seince
laugh.gif

------------------

I sometimes wish I had eyes in my knees then maybe I wouldn't bump into so many things.
crazy.gif

------------------

Thank you, Joe. Not really the answers I had hoped for...but logical in perspective.

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Another Alien anatomy question.

How do Centari go to the bathroom. This discussion came up at a convention and we didn't come up with a decent answer. Any theories?

Oh yes, remember how different the male and females are.
laugh.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

You're assuming that the Centauri have a gentio-urinary system like Humans do, no? It is quite possible that they don't and that entirely different organs are used for reproduction and the elimination of liquid waste. I believe that is even the case on this planet with certain species.

Of course, it is also possible that they do have a design similar to Humans, in which case those might not be vests that Londo is wearing all the time, but rather the Centauri version of "Depends."
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

Of course, it is also possible that they do have a design similar to Humans, in which case those might not be vests that Londo is wearing all the time, but rather the Centauri version of "Depends."
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this is what Sci fi is all about....
shocked.gif
wink.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Londo did make that comment one time about Cartagia looking up women's dresses when he was a kid. It could be that there is a seventh organ that is more visably accessible from underneath a dress. If so, I wonder what that organ could be for.

The scary thing is that Joe just made the comment about how the urinary tract could be separate from the sexual organs. That makes sense.

Going with a combination of his comment and the tidbit I remembered above, it could very well be that that seventh organ visable from underneath a dress is a urinary organ. Even scarier though is that means Cartagia, even as a kid, could have had a thing for--keeping this G-rated--wee wee outlets.
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
frown.gif
If the Centauri have the internet too, I'm surprised Cartagia had time to try to become a god.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Londo did make that comment one time about Cartagia looking up women's dresses when he was a kid.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe Cartagia is just an extreme leg man.
smile.gif
Or he could just have a thing for female posteriors, something not unknown on this planet, either. (We're never told he was looking up the front of their dresses, after all.) Finally he might have wanted to check out their underwear to get ideas for his own wardrobe. Remember what Londo finds out about Cartagia during Na'Toth's escape.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

true, but how do we know that the centari urinary orgen is in the front?
(changing topics)
what do we know about minbari phyology???

------------------

[This message has been edited by crazy (edited September 05, 2001).]

To put it bluntly, Cartagia was an out-and-out pervert. He was on a huge power trip when we first see him - and there's every reason to suppose that he already had megalamaniac tendencies long before he became emperor. Some people [both women and men] do things that upset or distress other people, simply because they can. The status of Centauri women seems to be little better than that of property, and they wouldn't have had much comeback.
And yes, there was a scene where Delenn was talking to Kosh in his quarters without a breather. It was Chrysalis. Delenn comes into Kosh's quarters, and starts talking to him, then takes a gulp of air from the breather she's carrying. Obviously Minbari can survive for a short time in a methane atmosphere. Either Minbari have greater lung capaciity than Humans - or they're trained to be able to use their oxygen more efficiently. There is a scene in the fifth season - I can't remember the ep, where Lennier is looking for evidence of Centauri guilt in attacks that have been taking place. Lennier is running short of air, so he drops into a meditative state to conserve oxygen.
Minbari also seem to recover from illness and injury much faster than Humans. In
Rumours, Bargains and Lies, Lennier

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>overhears the Religous Leaders plotting to kill everyone on board the vessel they are on, but leaking poisonous fumes into the ships's air reclycling system. Lennier finds the leak, and saves the ship. However, exposure to the fumes leaves him extremely ill, damaging part of his lung, which is removed. Within a few hours, Lennier is up and about again. I've never had a lung removed - or even a portion of one, but I imagine that it would be fairly major surgery. </font></td></tr></table>

[I
Which raises another question. Delenn specifically said that they physicians had had to remove part of Lennier's lung.
How many lungs do Minbari have? Two like we do? Or just the one?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I sometimes wish I had eyes in my knees then maybe I wouldn't bump into so many things.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my case, that particular eye would either be black (forever) or bruised until of no use.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Thin air? Why is it always thin air? Never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-could-stand-lose-a-few-pounds air?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Which raises another question. Delenn specifically said that they physicians had had to remove part of Lennier's lung.
How many lungs do Minbari have? Two like we do? Or just the one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure, but even with a Human you would generally say, "He had part of his lung removed" rather than, "He had part of one of his lungs removed." Everybody knows we have two, so there is no need to say it. I think evolution favors the idea of more than one, just as it does with most things. Redunancy is simply good design, since it means that organism can survive and reproduce even if major body parts are damaged or destroyed. (Somethings, like the heart and liver, don't seem to lend themselves to this. It is hard to have two active pumps in a complicated hydraulic system, for instance, so evolution seems to have produced a single one and provided it with maximum protection. Probably why the second Centauri "heart" isn't really a heart at all.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Your point about convergence is very adequate, Joe. Another good example would be marine vertebrates: fish, whales/dolphins and seals. Although they are of different origins, living a similar life has caused them to become similar in form. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also include Icthyosaurs in this, very similiar in shape to fish and dolphins, depsite being reptiles.

------------------
"No, they never end as tales," said Frodo. "But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later - or sooner." - Frodo to Sam in "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol" The Two Towers, The Lord of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

[This message has been edited by Great_Dying (edited September 16, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back