• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B4 prop for sale on eBay

Lyta

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2116228576

For sale from Fiona Avery and the authenticity verified by JMS himself.

My favorite part of the listing:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Note: Given that this comes directly from Babylon 4, Seller cannot guarantee the temporal stability of your home should you introduce this item into your dwelling vicinity. Ebay and seller assume no responsibility if your home suddenly disappears a la Babylon 4 one day!

[/quote] /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Geez! That is way more money than I can justify paying for such an object. No matter how much I would want it. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

If I didn't have better places to spend that much money (like a house), I might try bidding on it. However, I am sure it will end up being way out of my price range. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I wouldn't pay anything more than $10 for that. It's a piece of painted plywood!

[/quote]

So is the "Mona Lisa" when you come right down to it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyway, this is a unique piece of painted plywood, and it is autographed by JMS. I just wish I had the wherewithal to bid.

Regards,

Joe

That $10,000 thing was a joke. I'm just a poor college student, but I wish I had that kind of money to spend. If might see bidding upwards of $200 or so, but even that's pushing it. Whatever the case, I probably won't end up even trying to bid anything on it.

There was a Crusade prop up for sale on e-bay recently, which got to $270. That didn't meet the reserve, so it's back up again now, with a Buy-it-now price of $1,000.

As someone who follows prop collecting and owns several replica items, I would guess the reserve on that is probably 500, maybe even as high as 1000.

The original (no kidding) captain's chair from the original Star Trek series is up for auction this (or next, I forget) week. Check out how high that sucker goes!

I wish I had the cash to bid on that B4 item-it's unique, it's legit, and easily identified in the episode.

I saw that on the news (about the Capt's chair from TOS Star Trek). Did you hear that the guy who originally owned the chair actually hooked up things in his house so that he could control them from the captain's seat? I can't remember what they said he controlled from there, but apparantly the original owner got good use out of it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I know, that's all I can see when I look at it, as well! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

But what the heck. Free enterprise, and all of that. Personally, if I were to blow a wad of cash on something, I'd pick the captain's chair from TOS Star Trek. At least it can DO something. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm with Lyta on this one, though: I'd rather but that kind of money into a house.

The Mona Lisa is art. It was made to be art. It is art. This prop is something the prop department of a (low-budget) TV show slapped together to decorate a wall during a shot. It's plywood. Yeah, it's signed by JMS, but it's still a piece of painted purple plywood.

I'd rather have a script signed by JMS. One that he wrote of course (which is like 98% of them /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ).

So is most of "Babylon 5", Channe, but we love it and many people wonder why we're so crazy over it and spend any money on it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

But I understand your point - I also understand those who want it. We each collect what we want and are willing to pay what we deem justifiable. I personally wouldn't go after this - I couldn't easily afford nor am I that interested. I do admit it would be cool ... but I think I'd be more willing to actually make the replica myself - buy the wood, cut it, paint it, etc. I'm more on the making-the-art than buying it anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I want a script.

But even signed, I wouldn't pay extreme amounts of money for it. I just don't understand that part of the fannish psyche.

Sure it's just painted plywood, to some.

To some, a script is just a bunch of paper with typing on it.

But to others, a script is a prized and treasured memento or collectable. So are set items or props from a particular show.

Original set items and props are extremely rare, one of a kind items that hold their value over time. They are basically investments since the prices they command are typically so high. For instance, original series Trek props can fetch tens of thousands of dollars. The captain's chair is expected to go for several HUNDRED thousand. (Personally I feel it belongs in the Smithsonian, but what do I know? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )

The prices are why I don't have any original stuff. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I have some decals that were MADE for Crusade but never used, that's as close to anything original I have.

But basically it boils down to whatever floats your boat collecting wise.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back