• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Aurora" Starfury?

Valen2k1

Beyond the rim
\"Aurora\" Starfury?

I know the Thunderbolt is a type of 'fury, but I have heard the term "Aurora" applied to the other (I guess regular
smile.gif
) type Starfury. Is this canon?

I have also heard of a "Badger" type. Is this the one with missiles as seen in "Thirdspace"?

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

Re: \"Aurora\" Starfury?

Starfuries...

"TBolt" we all know...

"Aurora" is the class name of the B5-era "regular" Starfury; it can be outfitted with missiles in a sub-variant.

"Badger" is the two-seater version of that one, with missile mounts as standard.

Then there is the "Nova"; looks much like the Aurora, but was the newest fighter at the time of the Dilgar Invasion (2230).

"Tiger" class - a bit older but still around in great numbers in the Dilgar War, this one had only small maneuvering thrusters at the wingtips, and two big thrusters left & right of the cockpit for accleration...

"Flying Fox" an even older design, based on the...

"Aries" Starfury, the first one. It and the FF are both single-wing designs, look much like a SF cockpit, big thrusters left & right, broad & thick wings from them with manevering thrusters on the ends.

Pictures can be found in the old "Earthforce Sourcebook" of the now dead "The Babylon Project" RPG.

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

To answer the original question, most of the stuff made up for the Games is NOT Canon.

JMS was way too busy to go over most of this stuff in the detail that would be necessary.

BTW, the actual Starfury is not really a fighter craft per se. It's a power plant that was originally developed as a sort of "orbital bulldozer" for moving large, massive chunks of construction materials around.

The Fighter configuration takes the standard power plant (ie, the Engines and frame) and straps a Weapons Package to it.

The same engines that can move 10 tons of steel efficiently around a construction site make for a Very responsive spacecraft when moving only a few hundred pounds of pilot and weapons.

Not having to cope with Gravity allows all sorts of interesting uses.

This part IS Canon.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>JMS Speaks:
The fighters are the SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfuries, and B5 has four fighter wings, each with approximately 12 fighters.

There are various "weights" of Starfuries, some much more massive and impressive. The ones on B5 are light, fast, not overly complicated, and quick-strike machines. Another kind, which you'll see in the two-parter, has cockpits fore *and* aft, a two-person ship with much heavier shielding and armaments; the "Black Omega" version is made for top speed as an interceptor with advanced stealth components.

Black Omega Starfuries are *hideously* expensive, rather like Stealth Bombers. They have to be carefully maintained, and their existence isn't generally trumpeted. (Like the Aurora, for instance.)

They're not mainly a defensive system, but rather an infiltration unit used on black projects/covert missions. They're not really meant for an operation like B5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Black Omega Starfuries are *hideously* expensive, rather like Stealth Bombers. They have to be carefully maintained, and their existence isn't generally trumpeted. (Like the Aurora, for instance.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Aurora IS canon. I guess you can't get much more canon than JMS!
smile.gif

The powerplant thing makes sense. You see the rescue ships have Starfury cockpits, and I think the EA breaching pods have the same engine configuration, though I would think are MUCH bigger. Modular components make sense. Thanks!

------------------

He doesn't mean Aurora in that sense. He is talking about the top secret and expensive Black Omega Starfury. The Aurora is a top secret and expensive plane being tested by the US Military. JMS is just comparing the Black Omega to another top secret project of our day.

------------------
"So I went to see Ambassador Londo, First he wants the Shadows, then he doesn't want the Shadows, first he's in the war, then he's not in the war..."

Oh. I read it as (to paraphrase)"The existance of the Black Omega Starfuries isn't publicised like the Auroras..." meaning that the Aurora Starfury is the one that is more "advertised".

Maybe that's where people got the name from?

Thanks.
smile.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back