• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

At the very end... (SPOILERS)

JMB1138

Beyond the rim
...why was G'Kar going to Babylon 5? What is his position exactly? Does he live/work on the station again after returning from his voyage with Lyta? Granted, it was probably just an excuse to see the station again, which I have no problem with! Just curious as to why he would actually be going there.

------------------
-jmb

IMHO not that I wasn't happy to see G'Kar, but I thought that was the weakest part of the movie. G'Kar didn't really seem to fit into the story line at all. I did note he was referred to as "Citizen" G'Kar, not "Ambassador".

------------------
"We Centauri live our lives for appearances. Position, status, title; these are the things by which we define ourselves. But when I look beneath the mask I am forced to wear, I see only emptiness. And then I think of you. And I say to hell with appearances." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

Vacation.

I like the way G'Kar was treated by others: it's obvious they all know of his involvement in the Shadow War and his status as a high-echelon ISA governmental member.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

There was a line of dialogue about G'Kar attending yet another conference, this one on B5. And I'm not sure of his official status at this point. He was a founding member of the IA, but in 2262 he went off on his little jaunt with Lyta - presumably resigning all his offices. He came back in 2264, the movie is set in 2265. (Everybody was pretty busy in between with the Telepath War, so G'Kar's job may not have gotten sorted out.) I would guess that he's no longer Narn Ambassador to the IA (Ta'Lon probably still has the job, either on B5 or on Minbar), but more of a "minister without portfolio" in the IA government - an high-level troubleshooter with no specific duties. It would suit G'Kar's personality, and tracks with his later activities in the Centauri novels.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

It's simple, G'Kar's postion is that of...G'Kar. He does what needs to be done.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Probably had to attend another book of G'Kar signing in the Zocalo
lol.gif

------------------
Remember dear readers, you heard it here first. Off the record, on the Q.T., and very hush-hush - Danny DeVito as Sid Hudgens in L.A. Confidential

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
It's simple, G'Kar's postion is that of...G'Kar. He does what needs to be done.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
He came back in 2264, the movie is set in 2265. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to contradict the great JoeD but I am really curious how 2265 became the "official" date for when the Rangers movie takes place in. It is just that there are sources that seem fairly reliable to me that are being completely ignored and I wondered why.

Douglas Netter in his introduction to the show on SciFi's web site says "2264". It has been posted there since the site launched Oct 8th, 2001.

The program description in the TiVo says, "In 2264 a military group consisting of humans and aliens tries to enforce intergalactic peace."

Those are just two examples since they are easily accessible for me. I know that SciFi got Martell's name wrong so anything is possible.
wink.gif
Hmm, maybe the events happened on Dec. 31st, 2264 but still ... it confuses me why 2265 is constantly used? Please enlighten me.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
And the ship looking for them, would find it, find them, find us, find you. A brilliant cascade of cause and effect. Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else. --G'Kar in B5LR

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 21, 2002).]

I think the reason people use 2265 it because Crusade started in 2267, and JMS had mentioned that he planned Rangers to start 2 years before Crusade, so as to give a lead time if Rangers was successful that in 2 years, Crusade could become a series again, and run in real time with Rangers.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I think the reason people use 2265 it because Crusade started in 2267, and JMS had mentioned that he planned Rangers to start 2 years before Crusade, so as to give a lead time if Rangers was successful that in 2 years, Crusade could become a series again, and run in real time with Rangers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I not remember reading JMS quoted as saying that B5LR was set about 3 years after the events of "Objects at Rest" the penultimate B5 episode.

As S5 was set in 2262 this would actually place B5LR in late 2265.

Could be wrong though - it wouldn't be a first.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

It is, of course, very possible that the movie took place in 2264, while the series would start in 2265. Remember, the Gathering was in 2257 and B5 season 1 was 2258.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Of course, it could take place in December 2264, in which case it is still 2 years to 2267 approx.
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I think they wanted G'Kar there because he knew a lot about space from his travels with Lyta, and the Alliance probably wanted to tap into that knowledge.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Back to the topic at hand...

It would seem to me that since G'Kar and the others had just come through a serious battle with a relatively new enemy and had gained a lot of new information, that G'Kar would be going to meet with the head of Covert Intelligence for the Interstellar Alliance - I guess that's still Tessa What's-Her-Name. Y'know...Number 1.

Maybe President John sent him as a courrier and eyewitness to this new information.

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com

Seriously I see the whole last scene as something more symbolic than real. In my eyes, there's no characters at the end. Just the good old Katsula speaking to the new youngs actors. "Are you coming to this fantastic universe ?" and Dylan Neal to answer "Not yet. But hopefully in a near futur !", meaning, "we're ready, just waiting for the green light !". Who care what's G'Kar the character is doing in the station. The real thing is just Katsulas, like a father, explaining to the next generation actors that it worth it. A LOT. It's so typical to JMS to use his characters to explain something behind the camera.

------------------
---------------------------------
When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"
- Londo

So, it seems that the whole 2265 thing stems from making assumptions based on what JMS has stated previously and events that have already happened in the B5 timeline. Typical.
smile.gif
It is scarey how we can all debate events in B5 down to the month/year (which says a lot about JMS).

Well, I for one am sticking with the (late to very late) 2264 date for when the movie takes place in.
laugh.gif

Thanks for helping clarify that for me!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zathras:
Back to the topic at hand...

It would seem to me that since G'Kar and the others had just come through a serious battle with a relatively new enemy and had gained a lot of new information, that G'Kar would be going to meet with the head of Covert Intelligence for the Interstellar Alliance - I guess that's still Tessa What's-Her-Name. Y'know...Number 1.

Maybe President John sent him as a courrier and eyewitness to this new information.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An excellent point. If you had this new enemy just emerging, wouldn't you want to speak to someone who is influential with his own people (not to mention other allied worlds) as soon as possible?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I rather Liked the part G'Kar played in the movie. It allowed JMS to say things that needed saying much easier than any other character could have said them.

G'Kar does seem to have a new hobby:
Deflating Egos and Speaking Unwelcome Truths.

You have to wonder how many times a month he has to fend off an assasin.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

G'Kar was assigned the job of investigating The Hand. He seems ideally suited for it. He is tenacious, impudent, resourceful, and has the diplomatic chops and weight. But he is known to have been gadding about on his own, and has no apparent current connection to the Rangers. His trip to B5, apart from a conference, and debriefing by ISA security, could be to consider a few more doors open.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

Back