• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anyone know where to get b5 books?

smile.gif
I am wondering where to get discount babylon 5 books. I would love to know where to go to buy a bunch of b5 books for my book shelf. Thank you everyone.

------------------
We stand at the crossroads, what we choose today will decide the direction of the world.

~Intothevortex

I don't know of anyplace offering huge discounts on B5 books. You can get the usual discounts from places like Amazon.com, and from Waldenbooks, B. Dalton and Books-a-Million if you buy their discount cards. (Which are well worth it if you buy a lot of books every year - I have all three.
smile.gif
)

A lot of the published B5 novels are out of print (the early ones, published by Dell Books.) They weren't very good anyway, only two of them (To Dream in the City of Sorrows and The Shadow Within) being considered a) at least partly "canon" and b) worth reading. The current trilogies from Del Rey Books are all worth reading, and are readily available.

Other B5 books like the Babylon 5 Security Manual and Jane Killick's season-by-season episode guides are still in print, but often harder to find in local bookstores. You might do better on-line. Ditto Andy Lane's two volume analysis of the show, The Babylon File. You'll probably do better with on-line dealers for those, since local shops would have to special order them for you anyway.

Some of the books that are no longer available in the U.S. are sold in the U.K. (not The Shadow Within, sadly) and you can order them from amazon.co.uk . Of course between the exchange rate and the shipping costs, they aren't exactly a bargain.

You can also put in requests for out-of-print and other used titles through Amazon.com and any number of on-line used book dealers. (Just do a web search on "used books" for a list.) This might save you a few bucks.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited September 30, 2001).]

Smile
smile.gif

http://www.uncomyngifts.com/Main/Recreation_Room/Babylon-5/Books_And_Magazines /Novels/index.html

And if you're ever looking for anything, go to www.google.com and look it up, I put Babylon 5 Books in the search engine and that was the second page listed....

And if by chance some aren't availible, copy and paste the ISBN of the book and go to www.bestbooksbuys.com or www.abebooks.com or www.bookfinder.com and search for them there....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

[This message has been edited by The One Who Was (edited October 01, 2001).]

Have you ever bought anything from them. I'm not giving out any credit card numbers without reasonable assurances they're a reliable site no matter how much I may want a book.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

Then contact them....

Uncomyn Gifts
P.O. Box 11841
Olympia, WA USA 98508-1841
Toll Free from the USA and CANADA: 1-888-UNCOMYN (862-6696)
Local calls: (360)264-7636
Fax: (360)264-7637
International Fax: 001-360-264-7637
International Calls: 001-360-264-7636

Now was that really hard Doctor.?
wink.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

No, not assurances from them. I'm talking about assurances from people who have dealt with them.

What, I'm going to call them and get, "no, we suck and we're cheats" as a reply.

I'm looking for a bit of independant info.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

Well, you should try http://www.bookfinder.com . Excellent search engine to find what people have in their stores and what's online. I just did a search for used Babylon 5 stuff and I came back with A LOT, so you should have no problem. Also, might I suggest E-Bay or Half.com?

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
No, not assurances from them. I'm talking about assurances from people who have dealt with them.

What, I'm going to call them and get, "no, we suck and we're cheats" as a reply.

I'm looking for a bit of independant info.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do what most people still prefer to do and "snail" mail payment by check or Money Order (It's easy traced or cancelled if you don't receive your goods)

Uncomyn gifts looks pretty legit to me and it's not a new site but no, I have not personally ordered anything from them....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

I have purchased material from Amazon.com and found them completely reliable. I also ordered 2 books from WHSmith inthe UK and had no problems. The books arrived in about 10 days.

------------------

Since you are asking about personal experiences with buying B5 books ... I have one to share. I just recently completed my collection of the earlier novels (before they get too outrageously expensive and impossible to find). I went through abebooks.com and half.com partially because of price and partially due to reputation.

Abebooks.com seems to only deal with legitimate booksellers (aka professionals) and they had a good selection last I looked. This is where the majority of the books were purchased from.

Half.com is a new experience for me and they work a lot more like eBay.com (aka anyone who wants to sell stuff can). I went through them for any books that I could not find on abebooks.com.

Both experiences worked out great and I had no problems with the CC transactions. The shipments arrived safely and the books were in good condition as well. The only (minor) issue with these used book services is that each seller is treated as a separate transaction ... including separate shipping fees.

To get around this, I just looked for sellers that sold as many of the books I was looking for and for the right price. Nothing that I have not done before on eBay.com so it was no big deal for me.
smile.gif

I have also had good experiences with amazon.com book finding services but I doubt it will be a bargain (I never did comparison shop so I cannot say for certain).

For more information, you can see my Babylon 5 site which gives you some handy links to these things:

The Abyss: Babylon 5

Good luck and let us know what your experiences are like!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Find what excites you, and do it. Follow your joy; the rest will take care of itself.
--J. Michael Straczynski--

The only place I know to get "The Shadow within" is from Jeanne herself, if she has any copies left.
It will cost you $5.50 plus postage but I think it is worth it.

Try E-Mailing her at

jcavelos@sff.net

The last time she came to the ISN board she did say that Del Rey were thinking of re-issuing all of the books but that it could be a couple of years down the road.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

Getting Shadow Withing from Jeanne costs $8.50, including the shipping/packaging. I got mine a week or three ago and it was in very good condition.

I thought I heard from her that she only had 30 left, and that was a couple of weeks ago. So if you want that novel, better jump on it fast, just in case.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Wow, I just did another search for The Shadow Within and To Dream In the City of Sorrows. Amazing what people will charge for really crappy copies!
shocked.gif

I feel pretty lucky for having found both of these books sold by the same seller for about $6 each.
wink.gif
Both of these copies were in fine condition (a few creases here and there) but they were perfectly suitable for reading ...

I would definitely take Jeanne up on her offer but only after making sure all other alternatives have been exhausted.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

Find what excites you, and do it. Follow your joy; the rest will take care of itself.
--J. Michael Straczynski--

Uncomyn Gifts is quite legit. I first ordered from them about five or six years ago (multiple sets of the Micro Machine packs, heh heh), and several times since then. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Another place to check out is The Everything B5 Store, located at:
http://www.rosebear.com/sfmore/babylon5.html

Their order turnaround time is phenomenal, and they even contacted me on a number of occasions when certain out-of-stock items came back in (one of which they tracked down for me personally...there're some mensches for you).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Leto II (edited October 05, 2001).]

If you want a good deal for Book #7: The Shadow Within. Jeanne Cavelos is selling extra out-of-print copies of her book. She is willing to autographed. You have to pay Full Price with the Price of the Protective packageing. That will only cost you only $8.50. I know its not cheep but its a good deal for getting those books.

If you want more informaion E-Mail her: jcavelos@sff.net

------------------
If you have an B5, crusade, or Rangers site and you want to join a webring join the Intersellar Alliace:
The Intersellar Alliance Webring
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

I don't suppose anyone knows off-hand if Jeanne is willing to ship books over to the UK?

I work in a bookshop and have tried everything I can think of, it's definitly out of print over here!

------------------
We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest...

I know Jeanne not only sent a book to England but also to Australia.
I do not know how much the postage will be but it might be worth while to check with her.
Here in Canada it cost me about the same as it would have normally cost if I had bought it at my local book store and I got an autograph to boot.
smile.gif

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back