• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anyone else kinda glad to see Crusade gone?

Londonium

Beyond the rim
Now I know we were all very sad when Crusade did not survive, but the more I think about it, it's really better this way.
If Crusade had continued, LOTR would almost certainly not have been made, and assuming it goes to series, Rangers has the potential to be a much beter series than Crusade ever could have been.
Not to doubt JMS's abilities as a writer, but it seems to me that after a couple of years, Crusade would have run into a similar problem to Star Trek Voyager - the premise wasn't open enough to many different plotlines. The Excalibur's mission to save all of humanity was just too important for them to plausibly go on any significant side missions or plots.
Rangers is a much cooler and more open premise for a series. The Rangers, being not of any particular race or faction, can explore any aspect of the B5 universe. The possibilites for sideplots are practically endless.

In the long run, I think the cancelation of Crusade will be better for the fans than if it had stayedon the air. Of course, only if LOTR does go to series.

------------------

No. Each possibility gone diminishes the whole.

Crusade as it was... was enjoyable. Crusade as it should have been... would have been a very very welcome addition to Babylon 5. And maybe it will return in some form, given enough time and patience.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Nope. I'm not glad to see Crusade gone. It was just in its first season, and although some of the episodes weren't that wonderful, as a whole, it was interesting as hell and had a lot of potential. I loved most of the characters, and to this day I wonder what the Apocalypse Box was...

...I'd love to see Crusade return.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Besides, the plague storyline would have been resolved in some way by the second season - that's common knowledge. The plague was like Sinclair's missing 24 hours: just a way to get us into a larger story...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Absolutely, positively not happy to see Crusade go.

The cast was great, and I saw a lot of options as to how the story could unfold.

Never underestimate JMS. The man could take something that is seemingly unoriginal, and turn it into something spectacular.

------------------
"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant."
BlackStar's Messageboard | blackstar@welivefortheone.b5lr.com

I agree with both Lennier and Channe, and I'm very much hoping that Crusade might still be resurrected if Rangers proves to be a hit.

I liked what I saw, and I was sad to learn that those 13 episodes were all there was. It had potential - it was quite obvious already from those early episodes that it wasn't just about searching a cure, I loved the visits to other planets, and I really became fond of some of the characters.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

That's why I'll be watching Rangers with an interested, open mind. Because, no matter what JMS presents us with, there - I have a feeling that it's only the beginning of a larger story, because that's the way these things seem to be patterned to work in the B5 universe.

------------------

Yeah, first impressions are something that should not be trusted in the B5 universe.
No one is exactly what he appears...
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Ouch. not a lot of upport here.

I guess I do see some good points in what y'all are saying, but I still stand by my opinion that Rangers is a cooler premise than Crusade.

------------------

While I have to agree that it seems that Rangers has more interesting possibilities I was sorry to see Crusade end. I didn't particularly care for Crusade in the beginning but toward the end it did grow on me. And now that I have seen all eps 3 times I have to say I appreciate it more than I did first time around.

------------------
"Triple cypher...wine...women...song." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

Crusade had so much potential and having read the scripts it was just winding up when it was "dropped", so if Rangers is a success and made into a series hopefully part of the crusade story can be told from a different angle...

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Londonium:
but I still stand by my opinion that Rangers is a cooler premise than Crusade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What people have been trying to tell you is that you don't know what Crusade's premise was. I was as much 5 years of looking for the cure as B5 was 5 years of the crew solving problems for visiting aliens. The two unproduced scripts jms released already had the show heading down an entirely different path.

And the Crusade writer's bible spesifically mentions Voyager's problem, and notes how the show will "reinvent" itself down the line.

To me, what I know of Crusade (including the spoilers for the rest of season 1 and beyond) is far more interesting than what's been revealed of Rangers. However, I'm also pretty confident that as with everything else jms does, things are far more complex than will be apparent until we're well into the first season...

------------------
"The world is a cold, heartless place... It's hurt you and it's hurt me.
But no more! For now I have the power DiTillio - The power to end the world!" (hear it)
-- Jeremy, "Ragnarok and Roll", The Real Ghostbusters

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Londonium:
Now I know we were all very sad when Crusade did not survive, but the more I think about it, it's really better this way.
If Crusade had continued, LOTR would almost certainly not have been made, and assuming it goes to series, Rangers has the potential to be a much beter series than Crusade ever could have been.
Not to doubt JMS's abilities as a writer, but it seems to me that after a couple of years, Crusade would have run into a similar problem to Star Trek Voyager - the premise wasn't open enough to many different plotlines. The Excalibur's mission to save all of humanity was just too important for them to plausibly go on any significant side missions or plots.
Rangers is a much cooler and more open premise for a series. The Rangers, being not of any particular race or faction, can explore any aspect of the B5 universe. The possibilites for sideplots are practically endless.

In the long run, I think the cancelation of Crusade will be better for the fans than if it had stayedon the air. Of course, only if LOTR does go to series.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm.... Hell NO!

If Crusade had not had the stupidity of TNT to deal with, we could have had between two and three years of it by now, and it could be the springboard for Rangers.

BTW, Drakh really hit the nail on the head.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 07, 2001).]

No

I think fighting to rid

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Earth of Shadow tech </font></td></tr></table>

would have made for a great series.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Bah I am not glad Crusade is going it would have been a top show and it was for as far as it went...the show was about to change direction and I am still hoping we will one day see the rest of the crusade story..

Also I am moving this over to teh crusade forum now..

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

The Rangers, being not of any particular race or faction, can explore any aspect of the B5 universe. The possibilites for sideplots are practically endless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) The Rangers are very much part of a specific faction -- the Instellar Alliance...

2) Everyone's already mentioned the Crusade will reinvent itself thing.

3) Did B5 need sideplots?

-g

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Did B5 need sideplots? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean did B5 need side plots? It had tons of 'em. (like Londo's rise to emperor, G'Kar's transition from revenge-bent fanatic to benevolent wise-man, the Minbari civil war, the entire Psi Corps aspect of the series, to name a few)

These plotlines were indirectly, but not directly related to the main story arc of the series and without them it would have been boring.

Let me make it clear that I do not doubt Crusade would have been a GREAT show. My only point was that Rangers has more potential to be even GREATER

------------------

no one knows that... its yet to be seen
smile.gif
if crusade dose come back some day then we'll know for sure wont we
tongue.gif

i loved Crusade some "some" of the characters have that special magic that b5 characters are known for n i reallly believe i would of enjoyed it to no end.

BTW any one else think Crusade is a Galen story just like b5 was a londo story... im not sure but i got an inkeling that it could be

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power governments and tyrants and armies Cannot stand... The Centauri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

What do you mean did B5 need side plots? It had tons of 'em. (like Londo's rise to emperor, G'Kar's transition from revenge-bent fanatic to benevolent wise-man, the Minbari civil war, the entire Psi Corps aspect of the series, to name a few)

These plotlines were indirectly, but not directly related to the main story arc of the series and without them it would have been boring.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Londo's rise to emperor was part of the Shadow plotline -- about G'Kar, you may have a point. By S2, B5 hardly had a less important purpose than the Excalibur -- save all sentience from the Shadows -- yet JMS mananged to throw in interesting stuff there.

-g

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cleron:
BTW any one else think Crusade is a Galen story just like b5 was a londo story... im not sure but i got an inkeling that it could be <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup
wink.gif

It's kinda obvious that Galen is one of JMS's more significant characters -- he shows up in Crusade and the Centauri Prime trilogy, and the Techno-mage trilogy focuses on him -- and, although I don't know if he ever says this directly, I always suspected one of his favorites...

-g

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back