• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anyone else got problems playing the S2 DVD's?

Lord Refa

Beyond the rim
Anyone else got problems playing the S2 DVD\'s?

I got the Region 2 version, ordered it from Play.com.

All discs seem to have some problems. While playing any episode or special feature, it stops for a second and then skips about 20 seconds. On most episodes, it does this every few minutes, sometimes even more.

Anyone else got these problems?

Re: Anyone else got problems playing the S2 DVD\'s?

No problems with the Region 1 DVDs.

(Yes, I know you have Region 2.)

I got my R2 set from Play as well. I'm about half way through and so far no problems with the playback.

No problems at all ? I can hardly believe that :)

I got my R2 set from Play as well. I'm about half way through and so far no problems with the playback.

Well, all 6 discs were loose, but I didn't see any scratches. I hope they have a good returns policy.

I had one scratched disc in my R1 set, so that it stopped right in the middle of the Delenn-Kosh-Sheridan conversation in In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum (it's being replaced).

I thought I didn't have any other problems, but watching A Distant Star today the disc stalled for about two seconds and then resumed without trouble. I'm beginning to wonder if the discs were rush jobs.

Well, all 6 discs were loose, but I didn't see any scratches. I hope they have a good returns policy.

Fortunately all my disks were securely fastened. Still if there are no visible scratches it's unlikely that the disks were damaged in transit (they may of course be a faulty production). Try them out in another DVD player and pay especial attention to the _location_ of the pauses/skips. If they are consistently on the same place your disk is damaged/faulty. If not it may be the players fault. It's worth checking this before returning a mail ordered disk since your replacement is probably not going to be any better if the player is having difficulty with the disk (my old DVD player - hooked up to a spare TV - often has problems with DVDs that my main player plays fine).

As for Play's return policy... I've never had to use it (despite 40+ orders, where several disk have arrived loose) but in the two cases that disks went missing in the post, they have responded well. You do have to return faulty goods within 28 days so keep that in mind.

I've got a really cheapo-crappo DVD player and I've had this problem on several DVDs (none of the previous B5 discs I'm pleased to say, but I haven't got S2 yet).

Higher quality players do not have the same problems with these discs so it must be a combination of crappy player and low quality discs.

Of course, if you have a really good DVD player then it totally blows this theory ;)

Thanks for the info guys! I will try to play them in another DVd player, since I DO have a crappy cheap player. Only problem is most of my friends also use cheap players (or playstations).

I already called Play.com, and I can return the item.

About the locations: they are consistent but seem to be about every 10 seconds. Sometimes it skips on one specific location, sometimes it doens't.
So I believe it is indeed a combination of low quality DVD's and a cheap players. I just hope I can play the next set...

No problems at all ? I can hardly believe that :)

No problems at all in playing them. I had two discs loose and scratched (not badly), but all played A-OK. :)

The only thing I noticed in mine it's region r1 btw is in The Geometry of shadows where Londo is bidding farewell to Refa and the madges are coming mine soundl holo sound effect but thankfully it only lasts through that one scene.Also no scratches on the other discs and no other playing problems .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back