• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Another JMS Project?

bakana

Beyond the rim
I spotted this line over on the Wildside Press site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> J. Michael Straczynski, writer and creator of the Emmy Award Winning TV series BABYLON 5, and executive producer (along with Joe Dante) of JEREMIAH, a pilot for Showtime.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last I heard, JMS still wasn't free to tell anyone what was up with the Showtime project.

Has this changed, or has somone leaked the info?

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Note that that site only mentiones the pilot. It does not say anything about whether or not a series has been commissioned, which is the big question right now.

(It probably has, but we need official confirmation before jms can start talking.)

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited June 09, 2001).]

The last time I saw a post from JMS, he wasn't even mentioning the Title.

That's why I wondered.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

It was probably a bit of a leak. Jeremiah has been kind of an "open secret" for quite awhile now. When JMS and other SF writers did a panel discussion at the Museum of Raido & Television, both the program and the MoR&T website mentioned Jeremiah as his current project. And he spoke about it very openly when he was getting things organized with Joe Dante and writing the pilot script.

JMS even went so far as to reveal a detail of the original deal: namely that Showtime agreed to green-light the series based on an acceptable pilot script, without requiring that the thing actually be filmed.

Once he had a signed contract in hand, however, JMS was bound by Hollywood protocol not to say anything about the project until the studio and/or network made some kind of official announcement. But he has said that he has a show-runner's contract for a non-B5 project on "a major network", that he has to produce approximately 20 hours of material for the show (it isn't clear if the 2-hour pilot is counted in this 20 hour figure or not) and that production will start almost as soon as post-production is done on Rangers.

The only other "major network project" that we knew he had in progress was The World on Fire, the series he and Chris Carter all-but sold to CBS in 1999. Earlier this year, when discussing the "major network" show and a new B5 project, JMS referred to a "surprise third project" that he had been offered. I suspect that this was TWoF. But later he said he had decided to pass on that "for now" because he didn't want to spread himself too thin. (Launching two new television series, writing three or four comic books, an audio-drama and a feature film is a lot of work.)

So the only thing left that "That Which Cannot Be Named" can really be at this point is Jeremiah. (It has to be a project for one of the pay cable services because basic cable works on a different pay-scale. HBO and Showtime are considered "major networks" along with ABC, NBC, CBS and now Fox. The WB and UPN still aren't considered "networks" under the WGA contract because they don't produce 7 nights of original material, so they're covered by the syndication terms of the Miminum Basic Agreement, as was Fox until the most recent contract. Basic cable has another fee scale entirely.)

"TWCBN" cannot be a show for the broadcast networks because all of their pilot, series and mid-season replacement plans for 2001/2002 have already been announced, and there is no JMS project among them. (These things are given to advertisers and ad agencies well in advance so that they can buy blocks of commercial time on new and existing shows. This isn't an issue with the premium cable services, so they can announce their projects whenever they like.)

So the odds are that the other project is Jeremiah, but since it doesn't air until March 15, 2002 (per JMS) Showtime is probably in no hurry to announce it. Maybe they'll issue a press release when shooting starts ("right after Labor Day" according to JMS, barring an actors' strike.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Wow, JMS sure takes a lot on his plate at one time. According to the back cover of Casting Shadows, he writes ten hours a day...I'm afraid that he might burn himself out from over-working himself.
frown.gif

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>he writes ten hours a day...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That he does, 7 days a week, 363 days a year (364 in Leap Years.
smile.gif
) The only days he takes off are Christmas and his birthday.

But he's been doing that for years and it really has nothing to do with his current workload. He's always had multiple projects going. With any luck Rangers and Jeremiah will be somewhat easier than B5 and Crusade were. B5 was his first show as creator/producer, and he was still learning how to do an "arc show." There was also all the work involved in establishing the "look" of the universe and all the technology, background, etc. Crusade started off a bit easier (although he was still borderline exhausted from doing five straight years of B5), but then degenerated in all-out war with TNT.

Since he'll probably do a looser arc with both Rangers and Jeremiah he'll be able to involve a lot more outside writers, perhaps even put together an in-house writing staff like many shows have. I think passing up a third new series at this point was probably a smart move, but I'm reasonably sure he can handle his existing commitments. (He's also been approached about other comic books, but turned them down as well, for the same reason.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanova:
According to the back cover of Casting Shadows, he writes ten hours a day...I'm afraid that he might burn himself out from over-working himself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We're talking about Joe "There is no such thing as writers block" Straczynski. IIRC, he's been writing 10 pages a day since he was in his late teens. The main problem for him is physical exhaustion, and judging from his recent posts, I think he's leart his lesson.

(The fact that he won't be near the set all the time will probably also shorten his workday.)

JMS Enjoys the writing part of the job. It's the Aggravation of all the other stuff that wears him down.

He mentioned in several places that teh only reason he got into the Producing end ofthings is that it was the only way to keep other people from changing what he Writes.

He's said that, if somone offered him a "Writer only" job with a guarantee that no one else would be allowed to change his scripts, he'd take it in a heartbeat.

I like the story he tells at conventions about the London vacation they took where his wife insisted that he leave all his Writing Stuff (computer) at home. After a couple days, he started to go into "withdrawal", so he snuck out, bought a couple yellow pads and some pencils and started sneaking into the bathroom (after his wife fell asleep) to WRITE.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

I actually have some of the script of Jerimiah, in the hopes that it may be of interest to B5 fans.

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
That he does, 7 days a week, 363 days a year (364 in Leap Years.
smile.gif
) The only days he takes off are Christmas and his birthday.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and New Years (according to the Delrey books).

------------------
Be seeing you

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
I actually have some of the script of Jerimiah, in the hopes that it may be of interest to B5 fans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Assuming you actually do something with it
laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited June 10, 2001).]

I guess it's safe to assume, Antony, that if JMS can't even mention more than the name of this project, you can't exactly let us see parts of those scripts, YET. Right? Do you have any idea what you will do with them once this veil of secrecy has been lifted?
laugh.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I guess it's safe to assume, Antony, that if JMS can't even mention more than the name of this project<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMS is bound by Hollywood protocol and professional ethics. Writers do not publicly announce projects like this, studios do. (Sometimes the network may make the announcement, with the studio's permission, or they'll do a joint press release or conference.) Were JMS to do so he'd tick a lot of people off unnecessarily and get a reputation for not being a "team player" (which he's already fighting a bit thanks to the Crusade debacle) and someone who can't be trusted to follow the rules and keep confidential matters to himself. He doesn't need that kind of grief.

None of this is a problem for Antony. He just can't post direct quotes from the script without running afoul of copyright laws. I don't know to what extent these also limit his ability to paraphrase or post spoilers, but I'll bet that's one of the things he's looking into before he does anything with the Jeremiah materials that have found their way to him.

But there's nothing to stop him from confirming that this is, indeed, "That Which Cannot Be Named" (by JMS) or giving us a general idea of where they are in the preliminary planning for the pilot film, if he has that information.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Yup. And I'll note that it was spesific rumours being spread that did made SciFi decide to announce Legend of the Rangers.

If Antony posts just enough to make the studio (Paramount was the one backing Jeremiah) announce the project, i suspect jms will actually be quite greatful.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And I'll note that it was spesific rumours being spread that did made SciFi decide to announce Legend of the Rangers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumors that originated on this very site.
smile.gif
Thanks for reminding me, because that is a very good point. Once Antony had posted the shooting location, title and approximate budget (!) Sci-Fi and Warner Bros. really had no reason to keep a lid on things. Perhaps a similar timely leak will force Paramount's hand. (BTW, am I the only one who chortles every time he thinks of Paramount, of all people, backing a series from the pen of JMS?
wink.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Rumors that originated on this very site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>IIRC, the inital rumours came from Jerry Doyle (among others) at a british convention. I belive this site was created after SciFi confirmed them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back