• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Amazon-Harry Potter

Quagmire

Regular
Like alot of things I was late coming into the HP books, not until after book 5 was released, so this summer I'm going to have a bit of a dilema. After someone convinced me to read the first book it was easy to go to a store and buy all five in one fell unobtrusive swoop. It wasn't a big deal and there was nothing to indicate I was some out of touch obsessive fighting with the kiddies over a book and I could remain a firmly closeted nerd.

Now comes the problem, when the next book is released I want to start reading it soon after. I'm not going to line up at midnight in the middle of a bunch of kids(creepy) and I'm not sure if the local stores will have the stocks to allow me to buy it in the middle of the next day or two. Has anyone here ordered these books online and if so when did they arrive in relation to the release date? For movies and such that I want right away I've usually just gone to a physical store in the past so I don't really know which websites are best at getting things in your mailbox on the release date.

It's not that I'm overly worried about what a checkout girl thinks it's just that I don't want to be this guy.

I imagine it'll be a lot more adults in queue at midnight instead of kids.

I think Amazon can deliver for relase date... but do your standard shops allow you to put a deposit on a copy?

I ordered mine from Amazon and they made an arrangement with UPS to deliver *on* the street date. The UPS guy was exhausted but as excited as any little kid to announce that he was delivering the new Harry Potter.

Jan

I usually order through amazon.com and they are right around the day they think they'll be delivering.

I pre-ordered the 5th book through Amazon and it arrived by 10am on Sat June 21. The midnight release was midnight 10 hours earlier. So, considering the big price cut through Amazon Pre-order, if you don't want to stand in line for midnight release, you really can't beat the delivery. I have already pre-ordered Book 6.

Good I'll preorder. Adults or no I'm not standing in line at midnight.
I'm of the mindset that the *only* thing I can justify waiting in line at midnight for is getting concert for a really kick-ass rock concert that you know is going to be sold out, or some special promotion like that.

Book, DVD releases, just dont seem to be that important or worthy of the somewhat nerdiness that such an event demands.

That being said _THE_ funniest/most pathetic midnight premier I have ever witnessed personally...was the midnight unveiling of the huge "Windows 95" operating system release. At the time, I was just out of college and working on the sales floor at CompUSA. I remember hearing about 2-3 weeks ahead of time that stores were going to be open at midnight the night before the release, just so customers could get Windows 95, and there were special sales and shit of course. I remember thinking "who the hell would actually wait in line to get a fucking operating system? Even if it is a big step from Windows 3.11...who really cares that much? I actually had the night off, so I didnt have to be there for it, but as I lived in an apartment about 2min away and was out with some friends, I figured I would stop by the store just to see how it was and chat with the guys who I knew were working. Well, I was really really shocked. There were like 8 lines that spread the entire distance of the store. The place was freakin PACKED. And as to the answer of my question "who would really go to this?" there were some of the most stereotypical nerds, hermits, albinos, and just about any other freak of nature you could picture there. A couple guys were even fighting over the last copy in one of the sale bins!

It was a sight I will never forget...amazingly humorous...yet predictible. Just what you thought you might see there, was actually there.

Regarding the midnight book release. Some of the readers, read so damn quick, they had picked up their book at midnight, and stayed up all night reading, and had the damn thing read before the 10am deliveries arrived from UPS, FED-X whatever.

Is standard shipping all you need to get the book on time?
:LOL:

Recoil is right, you know. ;)

I have no real idea, but I'd guess "no".

I'd guess in a case like this book, only those who pay for fast shipping will get it on the earliest day. The rest of us will have to wait an agonizing extra day or two. ;)

At least in my area, Amazon.com is amazingly quick with its delivery. But if expidited shipping weren't faster, who'd pay for it?

I'd hardly call it an addiction but why bother pre-ordering if you're not going to do it right?

A few extra bucks certainly isn't going to break me.

Pre-Ordering this far in advance should get you the book on street date. Pre-ordering close to the release date, you will most likely need to pay for expedited shipping in order to get it on the street date.

I didn't pay for expedited shipping on Order of the Phoenix, and it arrived on Street Date by 10am

List Price: $29.99
Price: $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details.
You Save: $12.00 (40%)

Availability: Pre-order this item now and we will make sure it arrives on or just after the release date of July 16, 2005

Cool

I may just eat the shipping since I doubt there is anything I want that's just seven dollars and wouldn't mind waiting for.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back