• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Alien Vs. Predator

Glacophane

Regular
I think we've discussed this before, but now its official..Alien Versus Predator is shooting (no pun intended) for an August 6th, 2004 date. Its starring Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova and Lance Henriksen.

I'd be surprised if this movie is any good, as it's being directed by Paul W Anderson; possibly the worst director in Hollywood at the present time. He gave us such gems as Mortal Kombat, Soldier, and Resident Evil. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if this movie is any good, as it's being directed by Paul W Anderson; possibly the worst director in Hollywood at the present time. He gave us such gems as Mortal Kombat, Soldier, and Resident Evil. :rolleyes:
That and the severe lack of "star power." The only actor/actoress I have even heard of in the list you mentioned is Lance Hendrickson. Granted I think hes a good actor and I really liked him in that series "Millenium" and he has been around forever (he was in Terminator back in the day) but he is far from a superstar caliber like Arnold, Danny Glover, Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerrit, Michael Bein, and Bill Paxton, who were all in previous Alien and Predator movies...

It's an interesting premise and the whole "vs" thing seems to be the next logical step after Predator 2 (when we saw the Alien head in the Predator ship). But, bearing in mind the people working on this movie, I'm not expecting great things.

Well, despite Anderson having a less then perfect track record so far, not ALL of those movies were crappy. I thought Mortal Kombat was a pretty good movie. The second one, not so much (not at all), but still. And Resident Evil.... I liked it somewhat. Not bad enough to make me scream for his head on a stick, but not exactly what I wanted in a RE-based movie. The rest is up in the air at the moment.

That and the severe lack of "star power." The only actor/actoress I have even heard of in the list you mentioned is Lance Hendrickson. Granted I think hes a good actor and I really liked him in that series "Millenium" and he has been around forever (he was in Terminator back in the day) but he is far from a superstar caliber like Arnold, Danny Glover, Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerrit, Michael Bein, and Bill Paxton, who were all in previous Alien and Predator movies...

Lance Hendrickson, Bill Paxton, and Michael Biehn were all part of James Cameron's gang. They all appeared in Terminator, and when Cameron got the job for "Aliens" he brought his friends with him. Tom Skerritt has NEVER been a "superstar", and Sigourney Weaver's only role prior to "Alien" was a walk-on as one of Woody Allen's girlfriends in "Annie Hall". I believe she was paid $350K for Alien, and sizeably more for each successive sequel (including the shitty 3 and 4). Even Arnold was still building his career at the time of "Predator", following success in the "Conan" films and then "Terminator". Soon would begin his long list of flops and misfires. Danny Glover's star status was also on the way up at the time of Predator 2. I'm sure he saw the job as an opportunity to stop sharing billing with Mel Gibson.

Alien vs Predator is an idea that's been on the books for as long as... well, Freddy vs Jason. Both franchises are owned by 20th Century Fox and combining the dormant Predator and disintegrated Alien franchises seems like good business sense, but they'll want to make it on the cheap. If you have a good premise, and hopefully a good story, you don't need a superstar actor. Cutting back on actor salaries frees up more for set design and effects. This is a film they will probably try to do for about $90-100MM, which is impossible if you have those $20 million dollar actors walking around.

Jurassic Park was a huge hit despite decidedly B-List actors BECAUSE of the premise and those razzle-dazzle FX.

Besides, today's unknown just could be tomorrow's superstar.

Back