• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Accuracy of EarthDome Geneva

Hi everyone,

I was watching some B5 episode where they show images of Earth Central in Geneva. In fact, they were quite accurate. On the background, there is a mountain that really exists. It's called the 'Salève' and a lot of tourists go there to have a view over Geneva. Also, you see a huge waterfountain. That fountain is called the 'Jet d'eau' and it reaches a height of 140m. Funny that it still exists after more than 200 years! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I have been to Geneva it is a lovely city as well as the country Switzerland I would love to return there if the opportunity aries again

I'm not suprised. They usually went to great pains to have accuracy in B5 in everything from CGI to medical stuff. Very comendable. Most of entertainment gets so much crap wrong these days, it's nice to have a fantasy that's based in reality /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The fact that B5 could be that detailed and still be on budget.

It really boggles the mind.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

But how often have you seen it work? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

We really were lucky to have B5. Very, very lucky.

This illustrates one of the reasons why I like B5 and got hooked on it so quickly like I did. B5 doesn't look fake. The attention to detail and making things look real is just great. It looks realistic enough to look like a pretty accurate picture of how things could look in 260 years.

Well if they were right about Geneva what about San Diego? It's gonna blow people, get outa there. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I didn't like the new Minbari look in LotR, the old one was great and they shoulda stuck with it.

It's pretty amazing they could make it look as real as they did with the budget they had to work with.

This has been mentioned before (probably by Joe D /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ): have you ever noticed how the people and aliens in the backgroud of the shots seem to actually be DOING things? That makes the atmosphere much more realistic to me at least.

They are not just crossing from stage left to stage right or visa versa.

And that episode which was an ISN broadcast: remember how there were people "mugging" for the camera? Or whatever they call it when people act like idiots because they are on camera in the background. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It all adds up and helps us suspend disbelief, as they say. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Hypatia says: have you ever noticed how the people and aliens in the backgroud of the shots seem to actually be DOING things? That makes the atmosphere much more realistic to me at least.

Yes I have, and I agree with you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It seems like a real, thriving place, not some fake set.

That's the magic of CGI, it allows you the freedom to do so many realistic effects quickly and relatively cheaply, rather than just do a single matte painting and use it week after week as "different" locations and hope no one will notice.

It's all the little "atmospheric" details (like the background extras and the accurate mountains) that really help sell the scene.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back