• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

About this new urber race who make the shadows look like inscets....

BTW, a sort of related question... if I don't use the ALT code for the ü but the key at my keyboard, like this: ü - does it show up as the right letter for others or is it substituted by some box or whatever?

And to nitpick... of course, I should have spelled Übermensch with a capital ü.
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
Just FYI: Channe is right. Über is a german word that means "super", and in German grammar, can and is often used as a prefix to label something as "super". ( Übermensch translates literally into "superman", although the general meaning is more of what Kribu said.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it means "over" (above).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
So I got the literal translation wrong. Spoot.

Gimme a break, it's been at *least* 4 years since I've taken German :~)

Cheers,
--mcn
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's been 22yrs. for me.
crazy.gif

Go over to the Crusade Discussion (the new music thread) and you can enjoy a royal FUBAR of mine. My aural memory ain't so good.
blush.gif
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

LOL saw that one already, how dare you mix Chris Franke's music up with Evan Chan's!!! I mean, come ON!!!

Anyway, I only took German for a few years regardless, and was never that good at it. I'm still surprised I could remember it was called an umlaut :)

But hey, I like pretending I can contribute to conversations :)

Cheers,
-mcn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
http://www.b5lr.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000377.html

Always 5 steps behind me, eh Chris?
laugh.gif
Well, at least you're consistent.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I had the same doubts... I don't think it can be taken too literally since the comment is supposedly from the ISA POV. And the ISA had no real knowledge of the first ones true power. So their opinion on the subject is not worth much.
smile.gif
But the reason why I was concerned was because Doug said the same thing, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

And they may not stop the threat, merely slow it down (maybe by setting up a trap that locks them up in some kinda 20th dimensional jail)?
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite you.

Thing is, even assuming hte toned down theory is right, the shadows when 'playing' with the YR's were bitchslaping them without a problem, with the exception of the Minbari to an extent. The YR was only just hanging on and only survived because Sheriden was able to think his way through the puzzle and find the key to the whole war. If the shadows even with the telepathic limitations had been hell bent on killing everyone, they would have be able to do it without anyone realy able to get in their way. These guys don't look like they are coming out to play like the Shadows were....

And our heros have to fight them off in a Minbari war relic? This could be interesting, if they can win against these guys then logicaly the Shadows are not as powerful as thought
tongue.gif

------------------

I know I know
Maybe they'll imprison them in a sheet of glass and they can float around the universe....

Wait that sounds kind of familer.....

didn't JMS work of some superman comics...

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by giffy:
didn't JMS work of some superman comics...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope. He's never written any Superman. He's nuts about the character though.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

Maybe you're getting it confused with Spiderman. JMS writes that.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Quite you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I am quite me.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Thing is, even assuming hte toned down theory is right, the shadows when 'playing' with the YR's were bitchslaping them without a problem, with the exception of the Minbari to an extent. The YR was only just hanging on and only survived because Sheriden was able to think his way through the puzzle and find the key to the whole war. If the shadows even with the telepathic limitations had been hell bent on killing everyone, they would have be able to do it without anyone realy able to get in their way. These guys don't look like they are coming out to play like the Shadows were....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's when they had more ships than the younger races, this new race may only be using a handful of ships but are more powerful per ship than the Shadows.

I agree so most likely it's just promotion trying to impress the crowd who are new to B5. Like a sequel film, they will always promote it as bigger and better than the first... even if it is an exaggeration.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And our heros have to fight them off in a Minbari war relic? This could be interesting, if they can win against these guys then logicaly the Shadows are not as powerful as thought
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like they're gonna be equipped with character shields that exceed the enterprise.
smile.gif

No since the books are stated to be canon by JMS and the series itself had Sheriden spelling this out, that they were holding back. Like going from a chess match to a thumb wrestle when you really have a sattelite in orbit with a partical weapon aimed at your opponent.
laugh.gif
The statement is from ISA perspective who unlike technomages, don't know the potential of Shadow weaponary. So lets just stop that right here before you start repeating it in debates for years later.
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

LOL saw that one already, how dare you mix Chris Franke's music up with Evan Chan's!!! I mean, come ON!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I know. Certain people on rastb5m would have me shot for that.
shocked.gif

Let me just say, I am NOT a music major or a musician. My sense of artistry tends toward the visual, not the aural. I do know what I like (Pink Floyd to Sarah MacLachlin to Vince Guaraldi, Metallica to George Winston and Liz Story, Santana, Trisha Yearwood, Vanessa Williams, Gloria Estefan, Amy Grant, Diana Krall, Alan Parson's Project, etc.) and don't like (all rap, anything with excessive bass, all the "fluff" bands and perforners, InSync, Hanson, Brittany Spears, Christina Aguilara, depressing country & western, etc.), music-wise, but I have a hard time saying why, in musical terms. I like the music in the Crusade episodes more than the music in A Call to Arms. I'd have to go back and rewatch A Call to Arms, to tell you why though. The Crusade episodic music, especially the intro music is more catchy.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 27, 2001).]

I don't have favorite show music. Crusade music was wonderful for Crusade - it totally fit the mood of the show, just as Babylon 5's Chris Franke music was fantastic for that show. The only problem with Crusade's music is that the listening audience really wasn't ready for something that different on television, for the most part.

------------------
Channe, who lives for the One and dies for the peanut-butter pie
--
"The secret of writing: get your character up a tree, and throw rocks at him." -JMS

Über-race is i think an adaption from Übermensch, the superior race that Nietzsche talked about in "also sprach zarathustra", there is also a book with collected poems by Nietzsche called "Mensch und Übermensch"

------------------
"how dull it is to pause, to make an end,
to rust unburnished, not to shine in use"

I think it this case it was more taken from Online RPG slang, where "uber" (no umlauts) is used to describe a superior item or player.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> >> So how can we meet ANOTHER more superior race of aliens? Are they more
>> First Ones? Are they the Firstest Ones? Did they come from another galaxy?
>> Did Lorien forget to mention them?

I would point out that the universe is billions of years old. If someone thinks that we've met even a fraction of what's out there, someone is being extraordinarily foolish.

As to why Lorien might not mention them -- or the several million other species out there -- there's a logical reason which is implicit in what's presented in the 2-hour MOW.

>
>> I love JMS's work, but if we keep escalating the ranks of aliens we'll
>> eventually reach aliens of God-hood...
>
>> Oh wait, we already did that...
>

Every time we do something new, somebody says it's the end of the world... usually in a sarcastic way... until they see it, then they go "Oh, now I see what you were up to." This is more of the same. This happens every single time. I'm used to it by now.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine and don't send me story ideas) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back