• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A triology of triologies

Happy Bastille Day, Everyone!

We've now had two complete triologies out: Peter David's Centauri Triology; as well as J. Gregory Keyes' Psi Corp Trioloy. We've also have two installments of Jeanne Cavelos' Techno-Mage triology.

Myself, I had a real problem trying to put them own!

Any favorite arc so far? Any least favorite story?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Out of the trilogies, I've only read the Centauri Prime one. I loved it.
laugh.gif

I can't really say I had a most/least favourite arc in that trilogy... I thought the books were all good, and the 2nd book - Vir & the young technomages - turned out to be a lot more interesting than I had expected.

And I cried at the end of book 3. Death scenes usually do that to me...
blush.gif

I'm not particularly interested in the Psi Corps books but the Technomage trilogy sounds very good. I think I'll wait until the 3rd book comes out, though, before I get them - besides, by that time, I'll have forgotten all the spoilers I've been reading (I can never resist the temptation of a black box!
tongue.gif
).

------------------
"What would you say if I told you that Councilor Du'Rog had hired someone to kill me? Someone close to me?"
'Ambassador, with all due respect, if it *were* me, you wouldn't be here for us to have this conversation.'
-- G'Kar and Na'Toth, "The Parliament of Dreams"

On a somewhat related topic, The novel "The Shadow Within" is nearly impossible to find. I was wondering what it would take to get a reprint of this book.

I would think you would have to get Warner Brothers approval, as well as the authors, but who else? Would a petition to get a re-print have any effect? I'm sure a few of the people here are looking for the book, including JoeD.

------------------
"I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. That's the problem back home. Folks have been conned to thinking they can't change the world, have to accept what is. I'll tell you something my friends. The world is changing every day, the only question is who's doing it."
-- Rev. Dexter in Babylon 5:"And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"

I managed to get through the CP trilogy once... I have been having problems getting through the first book of the Technomage trilogy... but my Psi Corps trilogy is worn out. I have read the first two at least 5 times each and the last one probably 3... with many trips back to read certain passages (especially Bester speech at the very end).

Terann

------------------
Teeps rule; Mundanes get spaced

Revere the Founders
Obey the Vorta
And don't poke the Jem'Hadar

I liked them all so far (haven't gotten a chance at the second TM book yet - these things take a while unitl they get to me here in Austria)

That said, the Psi-Corps was not so much a trilogy in the sense of a storyline spread over three books like the Centauri was or the TM seems to be, but rather three books from the same sub-part of the B5 universe... you know, the first about how the Psi-Corps came to be, the second about Bester's life before that first mission to B5 and the last about Bester's life after the telepath war just before he was finally cought (and a few notes on the rest thereafter).
I still liked it, though I'd have prefered it to be declared as stand-alone books in the Psi-Corps storyline (which would mean they could go ahead and slip in a few more; like one about the telepath war if they fail to get that one on-screen...)

Centauri books - great. No need to say more.

Technomages... jury's still out. Will see...

------------------
What do you want?
ShadowShips!

Well, the technomage trilogy has been my favourite, but coming in a very close second is the centuari prime trilogy. I haven't gotten around to reading anything beyond the first book of the psi corps trilogy... I hope the other two are better. The first was good, but also quite slow, I thought.

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

From what I've heard about the Psi-Corps trilogy, I ought to read the 2nd & 3rd books, but the first book was so slow, I couldn't finish it or even make sense of it. Maybe I should skip it and read the next two anyway.

The CP trilogy is also a bit slow in parts but good enough overall. The payoff at the end of the 3rd book makes it all worth it. In fact, it was hard to put the 3rd book down. The whole trilogy has so much to do with the "lost years" of B5 (between season 5 and WWE2's flash forward) that it's just as crucial to canon knowledge as the series itself is.

I plan on getting the 2nd Technomage book soon. The first one dragged quite badly for me. It was insightful about the powers and methods that technomages employ. On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about those powers and methods. They seem almost too powerful. But, I'm reading them mostly for the story and out of hope for Crusade info, so I'll give the 2nd book a chance.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

The second tech book is more action packed.

I've now read all of the released trilogies and have to say my favorites range from latest to earliest.

The Centauri was the thing not covered in the series I most wanted covered.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

I had extremely high expectations for the Centauri trilogy. I wasn't dissappointed, but I wasn't floored either. The whole thing with Londo's wife was cool.

I had low expectations about the Psi-Corps books; I don't know why. They were generally pretty good.

Haven't started the Technomage books yet.

Just got "Dream in City of Sorrows" in the mail, will go read it now.

Which other books are considered canon?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

The Shadow Within is mostly canon, about seventy percent. Don't ask me what that means, I don't know which parts aren't canon. I guess anything that does not mesh with the series is out but I don't know what else or what that would be.

It's the one fiction book left I have to find.

------------------
Bus

The Centari books were good - I really wasn't expecting to like them, but was pleasantly surprised. I couldn't put #2&#3 down.

The Psi-Corp Trilogy was . . . informative.

My favorite is the Technomage books. The first one is packed with detail, which really helps to understand the characters and other elements later. The second one, I couldn't put it down. It moved much faster, mainly because the characters had already been introduced and described in great detail, as was other basic background information.

I watched "A Call to Arms" again the other day - it was so much better after getting more insite on Galen & the technomages.

------------------

Interesting to see other people's reactions to the books. Most of the comments I've read put the Psi-Corps books last among the trilogies, especially the first one, so it nice to see someone with the opposite take on things. Just goes to show how subjective all of this stuff is.

I also found the first Psi-Corps book rather slow going and a little confusing, especially given the number of characters who are known by more than one name. But I found the background information it provided very useful, even if neither the plot nor the narrative thrilled me.

I thought the second book was better, because Bester is such an interesting character. The third was the best of all, but again more because of the material covered than because of the writing itself. It wasn't bad, just not exceptional. I'm not sure how successful any of these books really is as a novel, apart from B5.

The Centauri books suffer from similar problems. Peter David does a very good job getting the characters right, for the most part, but he makes a number of mistakes in chronology and he's not what I would call a literary stylist. He's most successful with the first person narration, because he gets Londo's way of speaking down in print so well. Purely as a writer of prose I think he is half-a-step below John Gregory Keyes.

Jeanne Cavelos surprised me with the first Technomage book. I hadn't read any of her other stuff, but I've seen very mixed reviews of The Shadow Within and the fact that she edited the early Dell novels (which are almost universally condemned) gave me pause. But I think it is the best of the books so far, the one that someone who had never seen the series could most easily read and enjoy. Haven't picked up volume two yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I guess that with books like this, I'm rather going to be pleasantly surprised than too disappointed, since it's not *literary excellence* I look for but entertainment and content - answers to questions.

If I want great literature, I'll pick up something by Jane Austen.
smile.gif
Or Jules Verne, who was a great storyteller. Or Oscar Wilde, whenever I feel like reading *beautiful* prose.
smile.gif
Not a Sci-Fi TV series tie-in novel.

If a B5 book is both entertaining (and the characters sound more or less like themselves) and at least moderately well-written, then I am quite satisfied.
smile.gif

I suppose that once withdrawal really hits in, I might perhaps consider giving the Psi Corps books a try as well. It's a good thing to be warned though - if, as many of you seem to think, things get better after book 1, I will at least know to read on, should I find the beginning boring.
laugh.gif

------------------
"What would you say if I told you that Councilor Du'Rog had hired someone to kill me? Someone close to me?"
'Ambassador, with all due respect, if it *were* me, you wouldn't be here for us to have this conversation.'
-- G'Kar and Na'Toth, "The Parliament of Dreams"

i would like to read some of the books but which book(s) should i try first? should i begin with the psi corps trilogy or with the centaury trilogy
i really don't know

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cygnus:
i would like to read some of the books but which book(s) should i try first? should i begin with the psi corps trilogy or with the centaury trilogy
i really don't know
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, which set of characters interested you the most? Arch-creep Bester and the Psi Corps? The tragedy of and possible redemption of Londo, Vir's underground, and their planet -- to say nothing of watching the Drahk? Through B5 and Crusade, we knew very little about the Techno-Mages; but the two available novels are opening up a whole new prespective to us, plus a different look at the Vorlons and Shadows.

I would go with the characters or story line that you find most entertaining. Myself, I've enjoyed the Techno-Mage books the most, followed by the Centauri triology. I have to confess I'm kind of annoyed that we sat through three books on telepaths, and we still know very little about the Telepath War! But you could be different.

Whichever you choose, happy reading!

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited July 15, 2001).]

Well the Technomage books would be the easiest to find and probably the cheapest. Both should be at your local book store which avoids the issues of delivery charge, the wait for delivery, and putting credit card numbers on the internet. They aren't rare yet so you won't have to pay more than the cover price(about 6 or 7 bucks).

------------------
Bus

Kribu makes an excellent point- these books aren't fine literature. I treat them like I do an encyclopedia: I read it to see what happened.

The Centauri books were most interesting to me because I was hooked on Londo and the Centauri. Of course, I also was dieing to learn of the final fate of G'Kar. Though I don't get why

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> He was on Centauri. I mean, of all people to send down to spy on the Centauri, why a Narn? </font></td></tr></table>

Maybe my memory is just faulty.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

He wasn't

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>sent. Sheridan relied on G'Kar to get the info for him, no questions asked. G'Kar decided the best way to get it was for him to go himself. Sheridan couldn't know how G'Kar was getting it because it would comprimise his postition as president, being illegal and all. That was what the conversation about G'Kar being John's right hand man, or just his hand, was about. He could do for the president, or king, needed done but could not do himself. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Bus

The most serious problem with the early books was that JMS was too busy at the time to give them as much attention as he did the later books. They were written while most of the Story was still unfolding and the authors didn't have enough Source Info on what was Canon and just Who the characters really were. They had to rely on what they had seen on TV. And, considering the way some stations moved the show around, some of them missed critical episodes.

I think some of tehm tried to get Tapes from Warner, but found Warner less than cooperative. The movie & TV industries tend to take Books rather lightly.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Hmmn I loved all of the books in teh trilagyies I have read so far.

I do not really understand why so mnay people are not fond of the first book in the psi corp tilagy I personbally liked the first and 2nd book better then teh 3rd in psi corp trilagy..

I loved hearing about Besters parents and Lyta's female decendants and one male from memory.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I like the link betweeb the Bester's blood family and Lyta's blood relative't also and who they hung with a tight nit group, Also the different in Lyta's ancesters..many secrets and we learn the past much of how badly the teeps were treated and the rise of psi corp and learn about Vorlon intervention etc yum </font></td></tr></table>

I also loved Centauri tilagy had so many great elements exciting.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I love seeing two of Londo's wive's and Vir's games with Mariel(and Galens spell of love)..Tomov is a classic...Vir's growth as a character and a Centauri...the Cloister Mage's..Vir being a hero...Blowing up the Shadow Base9the one that makes death clouds in dull feild)..Durla me shut now </font></td></tr></table>

And well the technomage tilagy so far is excellent I have no finished 2nd book yet sop no comment yet..

The great thing is you can read basically any trilagy first no prob
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back