• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A time when JMS missed on a humor attempt?

Recoil

Regular
OK,

For some odd reason I thought of this one the other night. A group of friends and I were eating at a restaruant and one of the guys was eating pretty fast, and a comment was made about how he eats. This reminded me of one of the Season 1 episodes (I dont remember which off the top of my head) but it involved Sinclair and Garibaldi eating in the mess hall.

Garibaldi makes a comment about "Hey, I've seen how you eat. Does the phrase Doppler Effect mean anything to you?"

OK what the HELL does that mean anyway? I know what the doppler effect is, but why does it makes sense there? It just seems to me that it was something that was supposed to be really funny, or witty but just....missed.

Can someone explain to me what he might have meant with that line? It was lost on me.

Or that the movements of the person eating was so fast that it either created red shift, or that the sounds were shifted in pitch.

It was like a lot of Garibaldi's jokes for me: I got it, and it was kinda amusing, but not laugh-out-loud funny (for my sense of humor).

It was like a lot of Garibaldi's jokes for me: I got it, and it was kinda amusing, but not laugh-out-loud funny (for my sense of humor).
Sorta like from Grey-17:

"Why is it always thin air? Why dont you ever hear about fat air, cubby air, mostly-fit-but-could-stand-to-loose-a-few-pounds air?"

I think I sorta get the explainations above about red-shift, but Im not sure why doppler is in there. Oh well. I think I get where he was trying to go with it. Should have tried a bit harder. ;)

If it was in Grail, and not in the first part, then I don't think JMS can be blamed for it.

I don't know if this counts as humor, but the *worst* line came from Lou Welsch, said, I think, to Jack the Aide: "Go ahead! Make my fraggin' solar year!"

Ugh.

I liked the part when he asked if Sheridan wanted to take 'a walk around the block'. I liked Welch and was kind of pissed off when he just disappeared.

I liked the part when he asked if Sheridan wanted to take 'a walk around the block'. I liked Welch and was kind of pissed off when he just disappeared.
Yea I wondered where he vanished too. He was in some early Season 2 episodes, but then Zach appeared in Spider in the Web and that was it.

I think I sorta get the explainations above about red-shift, but Im not sure why doppler is in there.

"Red shift" is a doppler effect. It is the exact same principle as the shift in sound pitch as a vehicle goes past you, only applied to light waves instead of sound waves.

Yea I wondered where he vanished too. He was in some early Season 2 episodes, but then Zach appeared in Spider in the Web and that was it.
I thought I read JMS say somewhere that the original intention was for David Crowley to take on the role eventually filled by Zach, but he hadn't wanted to do it, and so Jeff Conaway was introduced to fill the gap.

Having done that, Lou presumably became surplus to requirements and the character dropped out of sight.

Of course, as always, I stand to be corrected on that one.

:cool:

Lou Welch did show up once again in the Centauri trilogy (Legions of Fire), but that's about it. :(
Well yea I know about that, but not in the series anymore which is what we were talking about.

Garibaldi makes a comment about "Hey, I've seen how you eat. Does the phrase Doppler Effect mean anything to you?"

OK what the HELL does that mean anyway? I know what the doppler effect is, but why does it makes sense there? It just seems to me that it was something that was supposed to be really funny, or witty but just....missed.

Can someone explain to me what he might have meant with that line? It was lost on me.
Obviously it means that he eats quickly, though the fact of the matter is that Garibaldi doesn't have to make sense. How many times have you been caught talking a load of crap? :)

That's what was so cool about Garibaldi... his wry sense of humor. Sometimes he was funny, and sometimes not, but overall very likeable. The kind of guy I'd want to have as my best friend.

Joke:
My college floormates called him "Goingbaldi" ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back