• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Story forever untold?

Recoil

Regular
I'm not really posting this to get anyone's opinion of what they THINK is gonna happen. I am more interested in if anyone has heard JMS specifically comment on this anywhere. Perhaps he will address this very topic somewhere (if he reads these boards) because I am sure I am not the only person wondering this.

I have been watching Crusade of course, and was mildly impressed at first. As more episodes aired I did start enjoying it more. What REALLY peaked my interests however is what everyone has been posting, JMS included in places, about the direction that the series would have taken. The plague almost being a backplot sounded fascinating. My question is will Crusade be forever one of those stories that never gets told, or is there plans for a series of books to be released in which the story of Excalibur and crew gets revealed? Just curious to know if we will ever REALLY know what happens, or was meant to happen if the series would continue. It would be a shame to have that great story locked up in JMS's head. Im sure people want to know what happens.

Anyone heard anything?

------------------

Well there a 2 big gaps in the B5 chronology that are missing....the teep war...and the rest of Crusade.

I suspect that eventually we'll find out one way or the other what happens to the Excalibur.

All we know is that the plague would've been cured(my guess that would've happened probably in the second season..just a guess)
and then they would've gone a different direction.

As far as I know JMS has never revealed what would've happened. This is a good sign that he plans to get that information out there. Otherwise he just would've told everyone by now.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

Of course, we can only hope that Sci-Fi might want to continue the story...keyword, hope. Its doubtful I know, but I for one would love it if they did.

invalensname

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because its the one thing no one's figured out how to kill, yet."
--Galen, 'Crusade'

Well I read something posted recently that JMS said Rangers(not the telemovie but the actual series...if it happens...which it probably will) wouldn't go into production until a year from now...

Right now Rangers will be JMS B5 universe priority. He doesn't have the time to start a new season of Crusade and launch a whole new series up.

The only way I could see Crusade continuing on Scifi would be a set of Telemovies or a miniseries.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"

JMS was asked point-blank if the new Rangers film and possible series meant that Sci-Fi had given up all thoughts of doing Crusade. He said "No."

"Rangers is a B5 project based on the B5 ratings. Crusade is its own project and it hasn't even aired on Sci-Fi yet." (at the time of his post.)

More recently, when asked about his workload and his comments about being burnt-out while struggling to get Crusade 1.0 off the ground, he said that he is well rested, will not be writing every single episode of a television season ever again, and is more than capable of executive producing a couple of TV shows - ask folks like Joss Wheldon, David E. Kelly and Dick Wolf have routinely done for years.

He's had two excellent chances to tell fans, "Crusade is dead. Time to move on" just in the past week or so and he has refused to do so both times. Granted he's already committed to one other series ("That Which Cannot Be Named") in addition to the highly-probable Rangers and if TWCBN isn't "Jeremiah" then he's got a third show on the fire. (In addition to three comic books and a feature film that he's writing.) Crusade could put him in the position of having four TV series on the air at the same time by the 2002/2003 TV season. But that's hardly unprecendented. Does the name Norman Lear ring a bell? How about Aaron Spelling? Grant Tinker?

Anyway, if JMS isn't prepared to declare Crusade dead, I'm certainly not going to do it. Especially when B5 and Crusade are beating some of Sci-Fi's current prime time shows in the ratings. Why wouldn't they want two original shows from Babylonian? How many syndicated stations ran TNG and DS9? Why did UPN give Buffy a firm order for 44 episodes and a promise to do 22 episodes of Angel if The WB cancels it before the current contract runs out?

"Faith Manages"

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

its alredy known for a fact that the plague is cured

sleeping in light.... the last ep "sorta" is set 19 years into the future zack was stationed at earth "witch was were the card went" n then came back to the station "where sheridan found him on his "sunday drive" that alone proves that its cured

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

I agree, Joseph. As long as JMS does not specifically say, "Crusade is dead," I am going to consider it still alive. Just on extended hiatus.

------------------
We say atoms are bound by
weak attractors.

Why not admit the truth:
The universe is held together by love.

Michio von Kerr,
Wayist physicist,
CY 9942

I wouldn't rule it out...but I'd be surprised if it happened.

In any event WB does still have the sets for the show in case anything ever happened.

We'll just have to see.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>its alredy known for a fact that the plague is cured<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. Is there anyone who doesn't know this? Hell, we knew the plague was cured at some point from "Deconstruction", long before the deal for Crusade was ever made. Which is why most of us knew that the show wasn't going to be about finding the cure.

Thought experiment: Try to imagine that B5 had lasted only 13 episodes. Quick, what was the show about? The Minbari surrender at the line? The mysterious Vorlons? The Missing 24 hours?

And as JMS himself wrote before the show aired, "How many people thought we were going to go five whole years, have the Excalibur pull up to a dead Earth and have Gideon say, 'Gee, I guess we should have found this cure a couple of days sooner.'?"

The plague was the way into the story, the situation that sets the heroes in motion. It wasn't the story itself.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited April 29, 2001).]

yeah..when I think about the show continuing I think about what's gonna happen with the characters. I'm not worried about earth at all.

I'm curious how they'll do it...but only curious.

And have B5 stopped at 13 episodes I wouldn't have cared since the first 13 B5 episodes weren't as good as Crusade's 13.

------------------

My thoughts on where Crusade was going:

- the Armageddon Box (or whatever it was called) is actually an insane Vorlon soul eg- Kosh in Sheridan

- More Earthforce corruption, maybe Bureau 13? I think that this is the main line of the rest of the series.

- Drakh, maybe. More likely, some other bad guy pulling the strings (see #2 above)

Will we ever see them? I'd like to- I'm enjoying the Crusade reruns better on Sci-Fi than on TNT. Somehow, the second viewing enriches them, especially with the one they aired tonight about healing other's emotional wounds. Sorry, I suck at ep names...

------------------
You get more with kind words and a two by four, than with just kind words...

JMS stated in an interview that a cure to the Drakh plague would have been found sometime early in the second season. He said that the plague was just to get the show off the ground.

It was to have eventually led into the main story arc of a conspiracy within EarthGov involving what was left of the old PsyCorp. Bester's character showed up in one of the 3 unfilmed scripts.

Someone once speculated, about a year ago, that the Telepath virus and antidote that Bester stole from Edgars in the 4th season of B5 would play a role in the plague in Crusade. Bester supposedly said that the virus was of 'shadow origin'. I don't know about this though.

Just a thought...

Max Eilerson

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>JMS:
Shooting the 20 hours involved in The Other Project will take us through January, maybe into early February. If Rangers goes as a series, we'd probably start shooting in February/March. We've even discussed having crew going from one project to the other, and just rotating between them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now I don't know much about making TV shows, but does having a crew taking part in two shows mean that the shows are on similar subjects?

------------------
"Our ratings in the UK are just fine. It's just the English sci-fi press, or what passes for it, that hates us. And screw them anyway." - Zack Stenz, Andromeda staff writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Now I don't know much about making TV shows, but does having a crew taking part in two shows mean that the shows are on similar subjects?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Electricians, camera operators, costume people, etc. all do exactly the same jobs whether working on Westerns, SF, cop shows or medical dramas. Makeup and SFX are obviously more demanding on an SF show, but anyone doing SF makeup will have been trained as a regular makeup artist first, and therefore be able to work on a "straight" drama as well. I wouldn't read too much into this. The "other project" could be just about anything: The previously announced Jeremiah for Showtime, the almost-bought-by-CBS World on Fire, or something else entirely.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

Oh well!
laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by SwiftBiscuit (edited April 25, 2001).]

Back