• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Ray of Hope for Trek Fans

She can't, since if she does (like the rest of this Xindi thing) it will totally blow continuity, since it is clearly stated repeatedly during Kirk's time that Spock was the first Vulcan to join Starfleet.

Could you please cite episodes of TOS in which it is stated that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet because I can't remember?

Probably Romulan episodes? Maybe the one with the female commander that Kirk and Spock "play" when they steal the Cloaking device?

I've been googling for a while now, and the best that I can find is that it is never mentioned on screen that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet. It was something said in some Star Trek encyclopedia book and might have been something that Roddenberry held to be himself but never actually put it in an episode.

Unless an episode is dredged up saying definitely that Spock was first, I'm not worried about it.

Personally, I'm not worried about little details like that. (Well, sorry, but what I'd call a relatively little detail.)

I'm more concerned with the complete "we don't care about the Trek universe" feel that some of us fans have gotten from Enterprise. Not so much that they aren't sticking with everything from the previous series (we didn't moan all that much when the Klingons got a facelift, eh?). More that they are kind of pissing on the entire nature of what came before.

That's just bad taste. :rolleyes:

I concur Hyp...exactly. There are many instances that have illustrated this feeling...too many for me to recall really, especially given that I don't like the show and thus don't care to remember it...not to mention it's really forgetable. :rolleyes:

If I could find my ST Chronology it would help in pointing out specific facts and such, but overall, there is a complete lack of effort in the show to account for history and continuity...an almost seeming effort to destroy it and ignore it whenever possible.

ENTERPRISE was a show idea that handed ST to writers on a golden platter...a chance to delve into history and show us great moments in the universe's history that were only previously alluded to or mentioned...a chance to flesh them out. Instead they've wasted that opportunity, ignored the history that's even been mentioned, contradicted it at almost every turn, destroyed cultures in the universe with dumb ideas, and now have created a NEW major historical event that's never mentioned later instead of using the vast historical events we did know of.

ENTERPRISE to me, adds up to one big wasted opportunity. Sad really...such potential.

:(

CE

Right off the bat I will be honest and say that I have not watched much of Enterprise - four or five episodes per season, no more.

However, the impression I got from what I have seen is that this is just a run-of-the-mill outer space SF series, set at the very earliest time of human faster-than-light travel and exploration, with the Star Trek name slapped on it so that there was an existing fanbase to tap into rather than having to start from scratch.

I rather think that if it hadn't had the ST name on it, it would have died long before now.

I suspect the problem with Enterprise is that the produces did not want the show to have an arc. The original Star Trek did not have one. Unfortunately prequels automatically have one. The story has to go through certain points to feed the main series.

There is no need to go through the points in a straight line, you can go round in circles or even get lost and go to the pub. But you do have to go through the points.

The Temporal Cold War is an obvious reference to 1945 to 1990. Plenty of material there. The space race. The hippies. The Korean War. Men being conscripted to guard both sides of the Wall. Re-enactment of the Vietnam War - lets see Starfleet lose, something Hollywood normally covers up.

ST:TOS was influenced by the 1960s counter culture, which was in turn influenced by Buddhism from Asia. The big story of the 1990s was immigration from South America. Some salsa rhythms would have stirred things up a bit, instead of second rate WASPs (and WASP imitators) pretending to do emotion. Getting a stiff upper lip Englishman to show emotions may be a fun acting exercise but is not believable. Adding in some Aztec human sacrifice, now that would make the show really spectacular.

Well, here's the confirmation you've all been waiting for, it sounds like it definitely will one of those "It never happened" things. From SciFi Wire, notice the next to last sentence.

Fans Helped Renew Enterprise

Dawn Ostroff, UPN's president of entertainment, said that fan clamor was party responsible for the network's renewing Star Trek: Enterprise for a fourth season in a new timeslot, 9 p.m. ET/PT Fridays. "By the amount of mail and calls that we've received from loyal Star Trek fans, we have every reason to believe that the viewers will follow Enterprise to its new night and time," Ostroff told advertisers May 20 at the network's "upfront" presentation. "After all, this is a show that recently topped a USA Today poll, with 70 percent of the respondents voting for Enterprise to come back next season."

The new timeslot "is the same night and time where X-Files found its following and thrived for years," Ostroff added.

UPN officially picked up the ratings-challenged Enterprise, which had been "on the bubble" for weeks, meaning that its fate was uncertain. The network said that the new season will be "more action-packed, with spectacular special effects," and "will take Star Trek: Enterprise into further uncharted territory, while advancing last season's critically acclaimed storylines, including Vulcan Sub Commander T'Pol's (Jolene Blalock) blossoming relationship with Chief Engineer Charles 'Trip' Tucker III (Connor Trinneer) and mysterious twists in the familiar timeline ." The third-season finale of Enterprise, "Zero Hour," airs May 26 at 8 p.m.

There's nothing really to speculate: they didn't want an arc. It was trying to be a show about exploration. But because it was so poorly done, viewers abandoned it. The arc was a publicised re-vamping of the series.

I like how they're saying that the fans' wishes helped renew the show. Funny how it says nothing over the overwhelming consensus of the fans for the franchise to be turned over to new management.

Hear! Hear! Paramount, like B&B, hear what they want to hear from fans and ignore them when it suits them to do so.

Fridays are a death knell IMHO. And UPN knows that. They say they're doing it for the fans...why? To keep the few remaining loyal fans loyal. Quite frankly, SG has a much larger and more loyal fan base right now, and moving ST to Fridays will put it up against SG and SGA. Personally, I'll be suprised if ENT. survives much past the 100th ep.

CE

I keep hearing people mention this in regards to the Sci-fi channel, too. Just what is this process?

You can syndicate any show, can't you? Some are made in syndication (although I confess I don't really know what that means other than they aren't associated directly with one channel :confused:).

So what is important about making a few more episodes to reach a magic number, like 100?

Someone else may be able to give you a better answer, but, 100 is the magical number for Syndication. Daily Syndication is generally 5 days a week, so 100 episodes, = 20 weeks worth of programming, not really worth the effort of purchasing something to run in syndication if it won't last for 20 weeks.

Syndication basically means they've made all the money they expect to from the Networks, and now the individual TV stations can have their crack at running the heck out of it.

But I'm almost sure there was a relatively popular show that was on some years ago (possibly ST: TTG) which was syndicated from its very first day. :confused:

I remember reading something about it back when I used to get TVGuide.

TNG and DS9 ran in syndication only... very few shows do that (Andromeda, E:FC, and Mutant X were syndication shows, apart from the former two's final years).

But things change... and Voyager became the first network show, and Enterprise followed.

Some people on the rumor mill said about Enterprise returning to syndication, but it's fan boy crap. Things have moved along, and it won't happen.

At most, as colonyearth says voiceing the obvious 100 number, it'll go into re-run syndication past the magic 100.

But I'm almost sure there was a relatively popular show that was on some years ago (possibly ST: TTG) which was syndicated from its very first day. :confused:

I remember reading something about it back when I used to get TVGuide.

Sorry to have confused you with over-simplification. Using the overly simplified description I gave in my last post, the answer to your question is, they couldn't sell TNG to a network (IE: They'd made all the money they could from the Networks [IE: $0.00]). And DS9, just followed suit, since TNG was doing well in Syndication, I believe. Another reason for the 100, is 20 weeks gives time to build an audience and make it not so bad if an episode is missed here and there, (You can catch the episode next time through) and if someone catches a re-run show half way through the series, you're likely to keep them as a viewer through the next re-run cycle as well, so they can see how it began.

It's interesting to hear how the business is run. I begin to see why Patrick Stewart said he didn't unpack his bag for the first (what was it?) month or so, because he was convinced he'd be fired shortly. :LOL:

It sounds like Star Trek: the Next Generation was pretty shakey when it started. I take it there is usually more money involved when you make a show for a specific network, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Back