• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A problem I had with Crusade that I hope won't be repeated

Myrl

Regular
A problem I had with Crusade that I hope won\'t be repeated

The problem I had was with the lack of familiarity. This was probably part of the reason for its bad ratings and cancellation.

The show had nothing that could be recocgnized as Babylon 5. Other than: Babylon 5 itself. The uniforms sucked. The well-known aliens we all came to love weren't there. I think there was one episode I viewed that had a Minbari in it (playing a courier). That was it. The sets didn't look right either. It didn't have the comforting feel of a Whitestar bridge or a B5 corridor.

It was pretty much a completly different universe separate from the original series. It didn't have the same feal or style to it. Maybe this was their intention, but it didn't feel right. I felt jaded every time I watched it. Plus it had... Gary Cole as the Captain. (shudder)

Hopefully, LOTR will be good. The fact that they have Minbari, Narns, Drazi and Rangers in it on a regular basis is an improvement. The fact that Dylan Neal has coolness and like ability coming off of him just in the stills gives me comfort. The fact that it has G'Kar in the movie is reassuring by itself.

------------------
something witty and clever.. so laugh dammit!

Re: A problem I had with Crusade that I hope won\'t be repeated

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Plus it had... Gary Cole as the Captain. (shudder) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't wait to see the response from Gideonsmine.
wink.gif

------------------

Oh no, another person saying it was cancelled because of bad ratings... Here comes another 20 page recap of the events leading up to said event from Joe D. (Maybe he should keep that story in his clipboard so he can just paste it into posts every few days.

------------------
"So I went to see Ambassador Londo, First he wants the Shadows, then he doesn't want the Shadows, first he's in the war, then he's not in the war..."

Excuse me, I loved Cole as Gideon. He had that certain je ne sais quoi... he really fit the role very well.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

I'll keep my rage brief: "Crusade" was actually "cancelled" BEFORE IT EVER AIRED.

I don't hate TNT for that. I don't hate TNT for the fact that they even cancelled "Crusade" at all. It was not their thing, fine.

I hate TNT because they absolutely refused to sell the rights of a series they DID NOT WANT to anyone who might have a chance of making it work.

That is why I hate TNT.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'll keep my rage brief: "Crusade" was actually "cancelled" BEFORE IT EVER AIRED.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What she said.
smile.gif
The ratings on TNT were quite repsectable, the show averaged a 1.3 rating. On Sci-Fi it got a 0.8 and SFC considered that to be good. (Their top ten shows rarely exceed a 1.0, and are often below 0.7.)

If your complaint is that the show wasn't B5, all I can say is, "You're right. It wasn't supposed to be."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Alright, alright!...

It had respectable ratings.

...It still sucked.

And to be honest Cole actually started growing on me though a little way through. I think it was just the acceptance of defeat, though. As in, "just be grateful for what you got" no matter how inferior it is.

------------------
something witty and clever.. so laugh dammit!

I was quite wary when I first started to watch Crusade. I didn't like knowing that it had so little to do with B5...

I was sure I would miss the familiar characters (no, I didn't hate Lochley but the idea of seeing her in Crusade wasn't quite enough to make me dance with joy), I would gladly have seen the familiar races... I knew I'd only get to see the 13 episodes and thus there wouldn't even be a chance to find out how the story would go on.

So, I was quite prepared to be disappointed.

To my surprise, I liked it. Yes, I still missed the familiar characters (but I would have missed them as well if Crusade had never been made), but I grew to like the new ones. It was certainly interesting enough to make me sit down and watch every Saturday night, and I was sad when it ended - I wanted more!

Which is why I have high hopes for Rangers - not *too* high because I prefer to be just a little pessimistic and then be nicely surprised than to expect too much and feel let down afterwards.

Not only does it have the familiar races - and the movie has G'Kar in it! Yesss! Now that made me very, very happy!
smile.gif
- and a good-looking cast, who I am sure are also good actors (since JMS wouldn't have picked them if they couldn't act...), I have reason to believe that JMS can make a good, solid, fascinating story with great characters even if it's not B5.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Originally I believe JMS intended to have som common grounds between B5 and Crusade, but TNT wanted a new show so new viewers wouldn't be confused.

However, I missed the contacts which I felt should have been there. I always felt that Sheridan should have been in the first two episodes, he was the one who picked Gideon, and he should have interacted with the new Captain and crew an sent them on their way. Just a personal preference, and no one needs to agree with me
smile.gif

Also why was Lochley still Captain of B5 five years later?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also why was Lochley still Captain of B5 five years later?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? Ivanova was XO for 4 years, Garibaldi was Security Chief from 2257 to 2261; Franklin was Chief Medical Officer for 5 years; etc.

1. Maybe B5 is still a politically sensitive place, where many Earth Force people would be reluctant to be assigned?
2. Maybe the Captain serves at Sheridan's discretion (actually, we know this), and Sheridan hasn't found anyone he would prefer more than Lochley.
3. Maybe Lochley thinks she wouldn't get a better posting, and is happy to stay where she is.
4. Maybe, because B5 is a politically sensitive place, Lochley has damaged her ability to move up in her Earth Force career.
5. Maybe Lochley's career had already stalled? She says she was never given any illegal orders during the Clark years. That may mean she didn't have a "front line" job.

I'm not sure this question plays as well as "why is Riker still on the Enterprise?" After all, Lochley is a commanding officer, and in charge of a facility (B5) with many, many, many people...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Using Sinclair or Sheridan as a basis for comparison in terms of how long to expect a captain to stay in command of B5 is invalid. Their cases were especially unique.

Captain of B5 is a pretty important post. A promotion would make her an admiral or something. It takes a while to move up that high.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back