• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Plot hole? (spoilers)

CaptJodan

(Forgot to put down, possible spoilers!!)

While I am not new to the B5 univsere, or this site, I am new to posting here. (what better time, eh?) This perhaps isn't the best way to start off with a nitpick, but I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this.

First off, I'd like to say that I enjoyed the movie very much. The music was superb, and I thank the Great Maker to going back to Chris. I have faith that if it does go to series, it will be a great series. JMS isn't known for great 2 hour movies, but this one, in my opinion, was not bad.

As for the plot hole....is it just me? Minbari ship, made my Minbari, crewed mostly by Minbari until perhaps the last 2 crews that served aboard her. And the medical bed was flat. Do not Minbari think this to be bad luck? I mean, some might say that they are adapting to other races and how they sleep, but on board the White Stars the beds were always angled. Was this a mistake or did I miss something important?

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

[This message has been edited by CaptJodan (edited January 20, 2002).]

Sure, the sleeping beds were angled, but the medical beds? I dont remember seeing any Minbari medical beds before in b5. Maybe I am wrong about that though. It just makes sense that a medical table would be flat, it would be easier to examine someone.

------------------
--Shibby

If I remember correctly the bed was slanted and the minbari didn't have flat beds because of health reasons that they were able to deal with by the time of s2-s3.

------------------

Well there are two times I remember (offhand) in B5 where we could ASSUME (but not really truely confirm) that it was a medical situation for a bed.

First, when Lennier stopped the Religious caste from killing everyone on the ship with the posion from the fuel system. He was lying in a bed, presumably in a medical area, and it was slanted, though it could have been recovery.

The second was more telling, perhaps, with Marcus and Ivanova. "I got the bed just how she likes it, nice and flat. They didn't want to" He said about the Minbari. "They think it is bad luck" or something to that effect. I just figured from those two examples that the beds would still be slanted for medical purposes. Obviously I could be wrong, it might be easier to do it while it's fully horizontal, but I just thought that was kinda shady.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

It may be bad luck to sleep flat.
I would have thought that operating on someone at an angle would be more tricky than if they were flat.

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

Operating at 45 degrees would be possible, but far from practical.

But as we all surely remember, Minbari beds on White Stars were... guess what... adjustable. Ivanova got it leveled out, but the bed refused to stay that way.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 20, 2002).]

CaptJordan, I think you are right. But it would be horribly impracticle. I think Marcus said you adjust to the slanted beds through practice and meditation, or something like that. Well, if you are horribly wounded, won't you likely lose control of this skill? And wouldn't you lose control of your legs and slide to the floor?

Minbari doctors would have sick bays with all these wounded patients hidding the floor **thud***.
blush.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

ummm...
wasn't the bed flat when Delenn was almost killed by the soul hunter?

wasn't the bed flat when Lenneir's bed flat after he saved Londo?

it can't be all that bad for them.

------------------

Those were human beds in Medlab, though.

------------------

I noticed the slanted bed thing too.
I'm really not one to nitpick though
smile.gif

------------------
No choice, no choice at all.

I'm with you all the way, CaptJodan.

Overall, I thought that the movie was great. I watched it live, then watched it again at work on video (I work the night shift where nothing happens, so I have time to do those kinds of things
wink.gif
). It's just that I kept finding inconsistencies which aren't really that important in the long run, but, for a ravenous B5 fan like myself, they stood out like the proverbial sore thumbs. The flat medical bed was one of several inconsistencies that I found in the movie.

*Note* - I do realize that what may seem like inconsistencies now may be explained later if the show goes to series, so I'm not all that worried about it.

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com

it would be kinda funny that the cause of all the problems on the cursed ghost infested ship is . . . a non-slanty bed
laugh.gif

------------------
We require no signature.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back