• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A disturbing, but necessary post

The best known (to me anyway) example of this sort fo problem was a woman who went around to various US Conventions impersonating the Author of several popular Trek novels. She was able to get herself treated as a Guest (free hotel rooms, meals, included on panels, etc.) for a couple years until she was found out. Evidently she went so far as to promise an Editor a Book. When the editor contacted the REAL author (who lived in England) and asked about the "promised" book it all came out. The real author hadn't been in the US in several years.

The imposter evidently heard that she'd been exposed because, last I heard, no one had seen hide nor hair of her since.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited August 23, 2001).]

"Titan" is the name of the magazine company on the show Days of Our Lives..

I'm skeptical as all hell, and I've been responding to the actors as if they actually were the actors, for once, once I read Dylan Neal's affirmation of his posting here on the site.

Yay! Thank you very much, Antony - we really appreciate it.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

*resists the temptation to say something that would probably be read wrong by everone else anyway*

but, ya, thanks Antony.
smile.gif

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

http://www.kellishaver.com/webring - technomage webring

Antony,
I seem to remember Joe DM had another poster USING his name..and it caused quite a strife for him...

But I guess, I am an old bat...cuz I really have learned to take things at face value. I assume people are going to lie..and I assume that people are going to tell the truth.

I can't even count the number of times I have been in the b5lr chatroom, and have told people my age. I am not a teenager...and I am a woman..and the impulse to not divulge my age is something I do struggle with. And I suppose I could lie about it. Some people say I post like a young 20 year old...and they 'assume' that I am. When I mention that I have GRANDCHILDREN...Then they really want to know how old am I..

What I am saying is, we spend so much time in real life with real life issues. Yes, you do have people that are greatful for your detective work...however, from reading your posts..it sounds like you took a great deal of time to find out said information.

I can only imagine how much time out of your day this website takes up. And not to mention the newsletter you put together.

I have stated before that you gravitate toward the perfection side of things. NOT THAT THAT IS A BAD thing..just that it takes a great deal of time to get things to be perfect. It is good to have a high standard. However, it is not good to let other things slide because of one thing.

I am very sorry that it troubles you about Raider. But, I have to ask...if you didn't want to know the answer, then why ask the question. We have to know that not all answers are positive towards us. And that not answers we will graciously accept.

You didn't do anything wrong by seeking the truth, matter of fact, that was quite nobel of you. But being nobel isn't always sheek. There is a phrase that 'nice guys finish last'...there is lots of truth to that.

I just want you to be happy with your quests. As for others being deceptive, welcome to the world of the internet.

------------------
War doesn't determine who is right, just who is left.

Sassy, you make good points. I didn't want to become captain Ahab over this. But this was important on so many levels. Not only was he feeding a lot of stuff into the forums, but he was also speaking to me personally. He was offering me a writing role on this magazine. I do freelance work, so to me that was important, I'd loved to have done that. But I of course wanted to see if it was for real, and was always wary. That's why I was monitoring it all. It was part and parcel.

I didn't spend a lot of time on it, just a long duration, waiting for it to play out. I just brought it all to a conclusion recently, when I could trap him with his own words.

As to perfection... I don't think I'm even close with B5LR.com! I've been a bit sloppy of late. Yeah, that bothers me. But I'm spending more time in the 'real world' at the moment, not something I regret.

And I'm now off to the gym, something that is occupying a fair amount of my time.
smile.gif

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

Antony, offering someone a 'fake' job...eeek! you are right, that does cross the line..

And I have to disagree with you about B5lr not being anywhere near perfect!! You have an excellent site..and it is well managed and you have excellent moderators to assist you...plus the crowd you attract is AWESOME!!

SO PHHWEY on B5lr not being PERFECT!!
smile.gif
All the info here is WONDERFUL!!! It is like a one stop shop!!

and you are a vegan AND work out at the gym???
shocked.gif
HMMM...MUST see a photo some time!! A FULL BODY PHOTO!! must see! must see!! (sassy wipes drool from her mouth)
laugh.gif

------------------

Thanks Sassy. I am, I'm sure like many people, my own worst critic. Always have been, always will be. I also see (in my head) all the things I have yet to do.
smile.gif

I'm a vegetarian, and yeah I work out 5 times a week. Buuuuut.... you're got the entire wrong image. I'm quite a bit overweight too. Losing the weight gradually, but it's made me a lot fitter going to the gym. I'll give you a pic in about a year's time.

Plus I avoid photos at all costs.
laugh.gif

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."

That's the big problem with sitting in front of a computer all day long, isn't it Antony! Good for you, you are doing exactly what doctors have been trying to get people to do for decades: lose weight the right way, very slowly and through healthy eating and exercise.
smile.gif

About your "Ahab" comment. I personally appreciate a good monitor, in more ways than just routing out someone posing as someone they are not. If you have the information that someone is misrepresenting themselves and some ficticious product (or job) I'd think it is necessary to expose the fraud.

I'm glad there is someone who knows enough about the business to spot a fake. Otherwise, I'd still be very doubtful that the "actors" are who they say. (Well, maybe after the online article, I would have believed Dylan Neal!)

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

(sassy writes in her date book...one year from now.....)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sassy:
(sassy writes in her date book...one year from now.....)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One year from now.... what?
crazy.gif

------------------

One year from now, Beefcake a la Antony.
wink.gif

*Ro makes note to keep on Sassy's good side...*

tongue.gif
Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Oh, I get you now! I thought I'd missed some B5 inside joke! Yea, Antony is really being a model of health there. He's going for the long-term solution, not the fad stuff that will knock you out, ruin your heart and other vital organs, etc, etc.

Especially with all of us in sit down jobs, that exercise is crucial. I'm glad I have to lecture on my feet (I hate overhead projectors, I use the blackboard). Otherwise, I'd be sitting all day long! Ouch!
shocked.gif

------------------

Not having a car helps as well.
smile.gif

I put on 10 kilos in four months when I went to Norway to study - strange place, strange food, depressed, really homesick at first, that sort of stuff - and it was tough getting it off again.

I wasn't really overweight (62 kilos at the worst, for 166 cm of height) but it annoyed me when I came back home for a holiday and the first thing people said - before even saying Hi! or something like that - was "oh, you've put on weight".
crazy.gif

Walking helps. I started walking to school instead of taking the bus (3 km in the morning, 3 km in the afternoon), and I've tried to keep up the walking ever since that time. So I'm back to normal now - not trying to achieve that extreme slimness of a 16-year-old but I feel pretty comfortable with myself.
smile.gif

Otherwise I'd spend all my time sitting at the computer as well... and I'm far too lazy to go to the gym (and with my erratic schedule which can demand very long days at the office if there's a deadline coming, I don't think I'd find a good time for it anyway).

...what was the original topic of this thread, again?
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

The thing is with my weight, I "wear" it well. I mean, I'm obviously overweight. But I don't look anywhere near as overweight as what I am. I'm 6ft 3, which helps . So whenever I tell anyone my weight, they're like "Nooo, you can't be." So that's kinda good... but it also means I have more to lose in numbers.
smile.gif

My fitness level has increased amazingly, very proud. And I'm starting to get proto-muscles, as I called them. My friend loved that term. My triceps have come along well, and my anterior deltoids are odd... I keep feeling them, I have muscles! *g* Biceps I'm working on now.

My hamstrings are the strongest, I'm using 70kg on them now. That's about... 140lbs, I think.

I'm looking around for a bike again now, not many in the ads though. But bike is next on my list!

I am scaring myself right now, I'm so focused.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AntonyF (edited August 30, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back