• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

a Cinescape book review of book 1 of the Technomage trilogy

Modane

Regular
from Cinescape
BABYLON 5: THE PASSING OF THE TECHNO-MAGES BOOK 1, CASTING SHADOWS
Jeanne Cavelos elevates the art of the TV tie-in

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Thursday, October 25, 2001

By: CHRIS WYATT
By: Correspondent

Author Jeanne Cavelos could be doing a lot of things with her considerable talent. Originally she worked for NASA as an astrophysicist assigned to the Astronaut Training Division at the Johnson Space Center. With credentials like that, you’d better believe that she’s got the know-how to think up some pretty amazing hard sci-fi plots. But there are many NASA eggheads with volumes of science stored in their gray matter—that doesn’t mean they necessarily have the imagination to incorporate that knowledge into a decent story.

Well, Cavelos isn’t just another egghead. After finishing her work for NASA, she let her love of science fiction bring her to Dell Publishing as a senior editor. While at Dell, she ran the genre books division that created the Abyss horror imprint—an achievement that won her a World Fantasy Award. So Cavelos’ work experiences prove that she’s got the science and the imagination. That still doesn’t necessarily prove that she can write. No, her amazing experiences don’t prove it… her novel does.

Ninety-five per cent of the time, the TV tie-in field is the quick and dirty realm of genre publishing. It’s not art; it’s not thought provoking; it’s a few characters that you know from TV/Film. They can’t change much during the course of the book, because they can’t end up any different than they are on the show. You can’t put them in any kind of believable jeopardy, because all the readers know that they won’t die; they have to be back on TV next week. Cavelos, however, avoids these tie-in pitfalls through her deft plotting and superior character choices. She expands an area of the BABYLON 5 universe that allows her a great deal of leeway—the Techno-mages.

Galen, a Techno-mage apprentice, watches stars fall from the sky, heralding the arrival of the full mages to his home planet. If all goes well, Galen and his fellow students hope to pass through the intensive initiation rites and become full mages themselves. However, events take an unexpected turn when rumors tell of an age-old race that has mysteriously reemerged after having not been heard of for more than a millennium. Galen and his beautiful companion Isabelle are chosen to investigate the terrifying tales.

Cavelos’ spellbinding prose deftly crafts the central mystery of the story without letting the tone become too harsh or overbearing. Comic moments do exist and are well placed to punctuate the action. While Cavelos’ dialogue at times seems a little stilted, it does make a major impact in terms of the characters’ overall likability.

This novel can definitely be recommended to fans of the BABYLON 5 novel series. Furthermore, readers who were fans of the show, but who haven’t ever picked up a tie-in novel, will be well advised to begin with this one. Those who haven’t seen much of the show might want to avoid this book, however, since the Techno-mage culture is so detailed and vivid, it might be hard for non-fans to get into.

BABYLON 5: THE PASSING OF THE TECHNO-MAGES BOOK 1, CASTING SHADOWS

Grade: B

Author(s): Jeanne Cavelos

Publisher: Del Rey

Price: $6.99

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

I agree. Book I was an excellent tie-in, albeit some of the beginning went into a bit more detail than I cared to read.

Book II tops Book I, though.
laugh.gif

No review for it?

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
- Captain Matthew Gideon, The Needs of Earth
Rising Star

I didn't see one. This review was just posted though. I'm sure they'll review book 2 soon.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
I agree. Book I was an excellent tie-in, albeit some of the beginning went into a bit more detail than I cared to read.

Book II tops Book I, though.
laugh.gif

No review for it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

32 days 'till Book 3 The Passing of the Techno-Mages "Invoking Darkness"

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I thought Book 3 was due out on November 1st. Has there been an announcement saying it would be delayed?
frown.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I thought Book 3 was due out on November 1st. Has there been an announcement saying it would be delayed?
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

November 27th was always the day. Back when they were giving only the "month" both November and December were bandied about.

Invoking Darkness (Babylon 5: The Passing of the Techno-Mages, Book 3)
by Jeanne Cavelos

This item will be released on November 27, 2001.

Mass Market Paperback - 368 pages (November 27, 2001)
Del Rey; ISBN: 0345438337

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 26, 2001).]

I too thought it was November the first but someone else brought up the end of the month. I asked Jeanne and she said it was definately November twenty seventh and it was still on schedule.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

I may not be remembering correctly, but at the end of the first book the author's e-mail address was there.

Have many of you e-mailed the author?

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
- Captain Matthew Gideon, The Needs of Earth
Rising Star

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
I may not be remembering correctly, but at the end of the first book the author's e-mail address was there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have, but way before that. I emailed her her back before the first Technomage book came out. Got my first reply 10/31/2000. She's stops by rastb5m now and then.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Jeanne's a very nice and friendly person, and I agree, book II is even better than book I, which was, in and of itself, amazing. She's definately one of the best modern sci-fi authors I've read in a long time.

One thing I do disagree with about the review, though. I have friends who are into sci-fi but have never seen B5 and who have become quite hooked on the trilogy. Jeanne provides enough background information and depth of character, that you don't have to already be familliar with them to know them and enjoy the book.

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

[This message has been edited by Derian (edited October 28, 2001).]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have talked to her several times by E-mail and got my autographed copy of "The Shadow Within" from her.
She stops by the ISN board every now and then to answer questions about her books.
She seems like a very nice lady with a great sense of humour.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

Latest posts

Members online

Back