• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A bit of Bad news Re: Painkiller Jane

Well this is a first according to my agent and certainly for me. I am no longer in Painkiller Jane and here's why... it seems that there was a miscommunication between the Director and the Executive Producer that went something like this. Exce: "What about Mr. Grey?" Dir: "Yeah, um it's umm Z something..." Exec: "Zahara?" Dir: "Yeah that's it." But as it turns out there was a guy named Zoran which the Director had in mind but the Exec had me in mind. So I must have been in the top few choices but none the less I am no longer playing Mr. Grey. They have to buy out my contract but it's not about the money I wanted to be in the show! Ach Well, it only means something else will come along. So thanks for the well wishes everyone and take care. Alex.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. :( I guess the good news is that at least one of them thought you were cast in the role. I really wish you the best in finding something else though. Any chance this Zoran guy won't work out? If so, there's still the possibility.

Wow, that's aggravating.

I'd never survive in the tv/movie business; I'm too idealistic. My idealism says that when casting is down to only a few people as options, that those involved as high up as director and executive producer should bloodyass 100% know the names of the people they're talking about. It is their project after all. It's not like they're out buying a flower arrangement for so-and-so-in-accounting's company thrown birthday party and just point at a miscellaneous arrangement and say to the florist, "Eh, I'll take that one I guess."

I think the above may come off a wee bit too ranty, but hey, it sucks.

So sorry to hear that! Please remember to keep us posted when the next thing happens.

Jan

Better luck next time.

Lets hope that if they cannot say the names that they write them down.

Do you have business cards with your name and face on?

Unlike the young-un I'd proclaim "its me, it had to be me" :D So it's now been proved, casting directors NEED an IQ of less then 50 ;)They obviously didn't try the xcasting couch approach, though if you're amenable... :D

Actually something a little like this happened on the classic film The French Connection - except that they ended up keeping the "wrong" actor.

Fernando Rey, who played the Frenchman who masterminded the heroin importing business, was cast by mistake. During a meeting at his house, director William Friedkin wanted an actor he remembered seeing in Luis Buñuel's Belle de jour but whose name escaped him. The casting director, working from memory since he didn't have access to his files, said the actor was Fernando Rey. They called Rey's agent in Europe and made the deal on the spot.

It wasn't until months later, when Rey arrived at Kennedy airport in New York, that Friedkin realized he was not the actor he'd had in mind. He also learned that Rey didn't speak a work of English.

As soon as he got Rey settled in his hotel, Friedkin called the casting director, who realized he had confused Rey's name with that of the correct actor, Francisco Rabal. Friedkin considered firing Rey, but changed his mind when he found out that Rabal wasn't available and didn't speak any English, either.

I think B5 had a similar situation where JMS said, "Let's get so and so" but gave the wrong actor's name, or "Let's get the guy who did Movie Title and casting agent hired a different actor who'd been in the same film. If I remember JMS's account of the B5incident they also went with the "wrong" actor, probably because they didn't realize the mistake until they were about to shoot the episode.

Regards,

Joe

I think B5 had a similar situation where JMS said, "Let's get so and so" but gave the wrong actor's name, or "Let's get the guy who did Movie Title and casting agent hired a different actor who'd been in the same film. If I remember JMS's account of the B5incident they also went with the "wrong" actor, probably because they didn't realize the mistake until they were about to shoot the episode.

Yeah, wasn't it the guy who played Major Ryan in "Severed Dreams"? I seem to remember jms mentioning it during his commentary for that episode.

Well this is a first according to my agent and certainly for me. I am no longer in Painkiller Jane and here's why... it seems that there was a miscommunication between the Director and the Executive Producer that went something like this. Exce: "What about Mr. Grey?" Dir: "Yeah, um it's umm Z something..." Exec: "Zahara?" Dir: "Yeah that's it." But as it turns out there was a guy named Zoran which the Director had in mind but the Exec had me in mind. So I must have been in the top few choices but none the less I am no longer playing Mr. Grey. They have to buy out my contract but it's not about the money I wanted to be in the show! Ach Well, it only means something else will come along. So thanks for the well wishes everyone and take care. Alex.

Dude that sucks! Sorry to hear it! :( I hope something else will work out for you! :)

Yeah, wasn't it the guy who played Major Ryan in "Severed Dreams"? I seem to remember jms mentioning it during his commentary for that episode.

Correct. JMS was thinking of Everett McGill, who played Stilgar in Lynch's "Dune" and Big Ed in Twin Peaks. Instead, we got our old pal D-Day.

Well...the director is a buggery bollocky bastard then for not using you.

Good luck with the next roll Alex.

Well, Alex, I'd bet you'd rather have good luck with your next role. So, I'll wish you that! Of course, if you like rolls, I hope you enjoy some of them as well. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back