• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A big invitation Down Under

Oh god!!! Angelsummers eek!!! I am watching season five right now on TV. Um...I don't know what's going to happen hehe...so please not too many spoilers
wink.gif

I know there are some B5 fans on the east coast of OZ...hopefully they can help you hook up with some west coasters.

Am I the only kiwi posting regularly here?

------------------

The Sci-Fi Channel is... well, it's a mixture of good and bad.

The Good: They show things that would normally been burned by regular networks long ago - fairly good shows like Quantum Leap, Earth 2, Babylon 5. They also are the only place you can see the great show Farscape. Also, without the Sci-Fi Channel, there'd be no Legend of the Rangers and no prospective new series. The Minbari, Centauri, and Narn would have died with the last airing on TNT, and the only new stuff would be bad J/D slash fanfic. (UGH!)

The Bad: Their original movies are sometimes pathetic. They keep on showing things like "Viper." They focus on bad horror movies no one wants to watch, like Alligator, Alligator II, Cherry Falls, and Return Of The Cliched Absolutely Dumb Find Me A Bucket To Puke In Slasher Movie.

This would be the worst time for the Sci-Fi Channel to get it's collective pants in a tizzy. If they don't pick up B5LR, there might not be a future for our favorite universe.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

Whoops!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sorry about the spoilers. I think I gave some of the game away for you Zoriah. My apologies.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
But then, its almost common knowledge that Buffy is going to die anyway.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

laugh.gif
But don't worry. They're just changing networks from WB to UPN.

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

Just FYI, Optus has B5 Seasons 1 & 2 being played once each week. THey are apparently in negotiations for season 3. Course I already have most of season 3 but hey
tongue.gif

------------------

I've never seen Buffy, but -

What is it that makes Buffy such a good show for you folks? I could never figure it out! From the ads, it looks so derivative.

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 04, 2001).]

Channe:
Thanks for the info on Sci-Fi... despite their pitfalls, they are better than anything we have Down Under, and by the sounds of what Zoriah has said, just east of Down Under too!

What makes Buffy so GREAT!?
That's a really good question. I was like you with Seasons 1 & 2, I caught a couple and thought 'trash teenage angst ridden crap'. Then... Season 3 came along and I was hooked.

Buffy is unlike anything on television today. You have a hopeless in love semi-blonde bimbo dealing with growing up, relationships, family, school, and graduating to University.

You have a dynamic cast of characters that each fits a stereotype then shatters that stereotype, showing the world that you can't box people... it just doesn't work.

It deals sensibly with issues such as grief, homosexuality, loyalty, friendship and fear.
It has so much going for it. Joss Whedon (the Creator and main writer) is brilliant.
It's very hip, written in a very modern and trend setting kind of way, and the acting is actually pretty good.

It has a definate indefinable quality.

One of the things I like best is you have a literal superhero lead character who is so full of fault that she successfully portrays the many aspects of growing up in a poignant and direct way. She doesn't adjust well just because she's beautiful and can kick the crap out of anything, and she isn't consumed by boring oh so overdone moody broodiness like that dreadful Dark Angel sulky, pouting, Buffy wannabe.

It's a great show. That's it! The directing is often genius, the writing above par, and the editing is feature film quality in the later episodes. It has earned it's place in television history, but is unfortunately advertised as a horror version of Dawnson's Creek... *vomits and convulses* Um... no offense Dylan!
blush.gif

Zoriah:
Yes... I love Buffy! If I ever grow up I want to be her! *laughs*
Spike is adorable, I love the character, sensitive dead guy at the core who wants to be the 'Big Bad' Vampire. He's great!

You are going to LOVE Season 5! It's so full of sadness! BUY KLEENEX NOW! Oh, you won't believe what is in store for you!

I'd so love to spoil it... but I won't! It's just a kick ass season.

Angel Summers:
That last episode of Buffy Season 5... I physically leapt out of my chair and screamed! My ex-boyfriend who lives with me and my other housemate could not believe I was so involved with the episode.

I cried my heart out!

That last scene was beautiful... it went straight to my heart! Buffy is just IT.
What a fantastic way to deal with the inevitable.

I have no idea what Season 6 has in stall... but wow!

And what about Glory! I love Glory, she's the best villian since the Town Mayor.

Raia:
Who could forget Tassie! I lived there through a good portion of my childhood and teenage years! I'm seriously scarred by the experience, but I still have a soft spot for out island state.

Unfortunatley I haven't heard of the Aus B5 Fan Club.

I'll look around, because I just might want to join. If I find anything out I will put up a post!

Antony:
THE NEW SITE IS FANTASTIC! You've out done yourself! When I came online tonight (dreadfully early hours of this morning - I have the day off work tomorrow!
laugh.gif
) I was totally taken by surprise. It looks truly excellent!

Okay everyone, I will stop my hyperactive ramblings!

Dean... it's late... ready for some more whisker trimming!?
wink.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
Sheridan: "It's... damn inconvienient!"
Delenn: "The truth often is."

Heh heh... I'd start watching, from the way you make it sound, but I don't have UPN. Durned cable system.

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

Hey Satai delenn, you don't happen to be in Perth do you? Guess not. I happen to love blondes and also happen to NOT hold the misconception that blondes are bimbos.
wink.gif

Ah well, at least we both love Buffy and B5. I catually started to like Buffy at the end of Season 2. You know the one where she *ahem* lost her virginity to Angel and he ended up turning into evil Angelus. You know what else touched me? When she had to send Angel to hell KNOWING he was already cured and there was no choice.

WHY CAN'T THEY HAVE CROSSOVERS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!

Sad to say because of the network change, they can't though the script can still refer to each other.

You're not the only one who did something like scream out when Buffy died. What did I do? I reached out and hugged the nearest person to me, which regrettably turned out to be my male American housemate who hasn't seen Buffy before. God, the next few days he looked at me like I'm gay or something.
laugh.gif

SMG isn't the greatest actor but if the show doesn't win an Emmy soon, I'm gonna curse the whole of Hollywood with the help of Willow and Tara.
mad.gif

Gotta go. Maybe we'll meet someday, along with any B5 fans in the same continent. Even if the Ranger cast doesn't come, doesn't mean WE OZ B5 fans can't meet. Well, I'm a Malaysian but as long as I'm in OZ, consider me part of Australia.

------------------

Yes everyone come to Australia as we have plenty of land and it is coming up to summer here so its cold drinks
wink.gif
,beaches and parties
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

As I begin to freeze my toes off as the weather gets colder and colder. Snow, anyone?

------------------
-Aeschylus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitestar90:
Yes everyone come to Australia as we have plenty of land and it is coming up to summer here so its cold drinks
wink.gif
,beaches and parties
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I truly love the idea of a B5LR get together it's just we all must agree for it to be held in Sydney
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Karanthas.... In The Beginning was on Nine at about one in the morining early this year... it was very easy to miss... I was the only one of my friends who found it (but I told them in time for them to sit up and try to watch their tape of it while the tv version played.... sadly for them I'd borrowed the tape *weg*
laugh.gif
).

SataiDelenn (and to all interested Aussies)...
the Aussie B5 club website is here
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~babylon5/
as far as I can make out on a quick scan it is Melbourne based... which is where I found the flier (in some scifi fantasy bookstore in Swanston St that I was dragged out of far too quickly).... since I'm going to uni there next year that doesn't bother me... I hadn't looked into it too much before cause I knew it didn't have a Tassie branch....

oh yes... yay for Buffy.... I'm still left speechless from the final
frown.gif

Can't wait for next season.... whenever it gets here
cool.gif

------------------
I have not lost my mind... it's backed up on disk somewhere!

Zoriah... smile happily at your wonderful achievement!
laugh.gif
Look, you've started a meeting place for every Southern Hemispherer to come and gossip! It's great!

Plus we get to flirt with Dean... my main reason for checking in daily. Can you tell I'm single?
crazy.gif

I don't know many guys who go for 30 year old women who are sci-fi nuts! The moment I mention it on a date their eyes glaze over. Which is fine, most of the men I have found lately prefer to talk to my... erm... assetts. *looks Heavenward* Great Maker send me a man who knows where your eyes are!

Anyway, Zoriah... *HUGS* for creating such a warm environment!

Angel Summers -
No, sorry, I don't live in Perth! I'm an East Coast girl in Melbourne, and probably old enough to be your mother! *laughs*

You're right, we blondes are not bimbo's, but it is an aspiration and goal for many of us!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

When I went back to catch up on S2 and S1 of Buffy after getting hooked, I really thought it took off when Angel and Buffy did the lurve groove and he went evil. When he killed the teacher... Miles' love interest... I have to admit, I went all teary and cried again! My man at the time thought it was decidedly pathetic that I sobbed at television shows - particularly anything sci-fi. He didn't know what to do with me when I watched the last two B5 episodes. I sobbed all the way through 'Objects and Rest' (? or is it 'in Motion') and 'Sleeping in Light'! What can I say, I love a good story!

Like you too, I'm a bit unhappy there are no Angel/Buffy crossovers. I keep believing they will rethink that choice. Warner Brothers was insane to give up Buffy!

In regards to SMG, I really think she's gotten better with each season. Her acting was very standard and uninspired in the first three, but around four it seemed she became more serious about her craft. But I have to admit she can do no wrong in my book! *laughs*

They DO deserve an Emmy!

Whitestar90 -
Yeah! Party time in the great Southern Land!!

Channe -
You'll be here soon, young lady! (Great Universe I sound like my mother!!)

No more snow and cold for you. Canberra gets VERY hot in our Summer - averaging temperatures in the mid to high thirties with the odd touch into the fourties. That's in celsius, I have no idea what the translation is to farenheit.

Just take a trip down the south coast at that time, and dive into the ocean, you'll be fine!

While in Melbourne at La Trobe, our temperatures are pretty much the same during Summer, but it is a different kind of heat. You just go down to St Kilda and throw yourself into the Bay to cool down. My advice... avoid St Kilda (many many wierdo's) and take a trip arond to Williamstown Beach, or up to Brighton or Beamauris. Nice Bayside beaches. If you can drive, and get transport, even better is Portsea and Sorrento down on the Mornington Penninsula. Great beaches, fantastic food, and one side you have the Bay, if you like just swimming in calm waters, the other side you have Bass Strait, if you want some crashing waves and surf.

You're going to love your time in Melbourne!

Deviot -
No!! No I tell you!! *slaps wrist* Not in Sydney! MELBOURNE!
laugh.gif

Raia -
Thank you! Guess who will be checking out that website!

So you're coming to Melbourne! You are in for a treat! Who knows, depending on which Uni you end up at, I could be teaching you!

Scary huh! Yes, even University Lecturers love Babylon 5.

If you love hunting through Sci-Fi stores, there is a brilliant one on Burke Street, just up from the mall, and down from the Village Centre and the Hoyts Cinema Complex. I think it's called 'Mind Games' but am not certain. It's very easy to miss as you walk up the hill from the mall, but with perserverance you will find it. It has three levels of stuff on everything sci-fi and gets imported a lot of magazines we never get to see, like the Star Wars Insider. It also has a great range of comics - yes, I love comics and collect them, pathetic I know, but I refuse to grow up - and if you like action figures and video's, they're the place to go!

I actually have not found the sci-fi shop on Swanston. Next time I'm in the city I will be hunting it down!

Also, if you don't like Melbourne City (which very few locals do *laughs*), go out to St Kilda, to Chappel Street, and go to the Jam Factory. Nearby is a great little specialty store called 'Alternate Worlds'. It has sister shops sprinkled around Melbourne, but I think the head store is in Chappel Street. Nice staff (lousy service because they're always talking sci-fi with some customer, and forget the world exists while doing it), and they sell some very great collectibles, back issues on comics, and get all the latest imports from the US.
I haven't found them in Chappel Street yet, they just moved there after packing up store near where I live in a neighbouring suburb... GST bit their bums and they had to find cheaper rent.

I do know from the owner of the shop that they have located to Chappel Street, either in or near the Jam Factory Complex. You can't miss the Jam Factory, just walk down Chappel and you'll run into - if you don't get lost shopping on the way!

Now, hopefully I have given you enough to do when you wag school over while staying in our beautiful city!

I should work for the Tourism Department!
tongue.gif

------------------

SataiDelenn -

Out here in in the Land of the Yankees the men aren't any better. Other than a friend of mine who's a fan (to annoy his girlfriend we make the sign of the Triluminary to one another when we part), I mention sci-fi to eligible men and their eyes glaze over or wander... there's the kind of thought that once you reach your mid-to-early-twenties you're supposed to give up your infatuation with the stars and start looking down to the ground like everyone else. Pshaw! I'll keep on trying to catch Cygnus in my hand...

Really, keep me in your prayers. Right now they're poring over my application in New York. I'll go batty with anticipation before late January, when I find out.

More about SMG - One of the things they always told us in the program I'm about to graduate from is that everything we do at this time in our lives is simply a beginning, not an end. We're not expected to do the kind of writing or acting or related stuff that we'll be able to do in our thirties or our forties or even our fifties. Practice makes perfect and you grow in your craft. And wouldn't it be annoying to think that your peak was at twenty-three and everything is just downhill from there?

Unfortunately, I'll be in Canberra beginning in July... which, although for us Americans is warmth, beauty, and reruns, it's freezing for you. I'll be in perpetual winter for about a year and a half.

And don't worry, SataiDelenn, if you're thirty you're not old enough to be MY mother. I'm gettin' to be an old lady meself...

------------------
-Aeschylus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> And wouldn't it be annoying to think that your peak was at twenty-three and everything is just downhill from there? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Channe, I don't know how to break this to you, but there are many people in Hollywierd who believe exactly That.
crazy.gif

Did you hear the story about the 40something female writer who hired a 20 year old female to go to story conferences for her??
She sent the kid to the conferences and wrote the scripts the studios wanted after listening to tapes of the sessions the kid had been at.

The Kid's instructions were simple:
Look alert.
Ask an occasional SHORT question.
Never express an opinion.
Never disagree with anyone.
Promise Nothing.
Tape record everything.
Deliver the finished scripts.
Bring back the Check.

All the men at those conferences thought she was a Genius.
Until they found out about the ringer.

Then they were Pissed.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Who knows? Maybe I'll swing by in Melbourne next winter or maybe even in February before going back to Perth for studies. Then I can find out whether or not Satai Delenn is such a hotty!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
Rest assured I always put my eyes towards the repectful places.
wink.gif
If I don't, you can always tell because I go as red as a beetroot when I see anything resembling sexuality in front of a woman.
crazy.gif

I wish I studied hardr to go to Melbourne.
frown.gif

If anyone in Aussie wants a particular episode of B5, I've got good news for all of you. I've recorded most of season 2, 3 and 4 on tape so if anyone wants to borrow, I'll only charge postage fees.

Long live JMS and Joss Whedon!!!

------------------

Channe, I'm surprised!

America is described as such a politically correct nation that you can get sued for whistling at a woman walking past! I would have expected more of Yankee men!
crazy.gif

Producer Rick MacCallum of Star Wars Episodes I and II said in an interview in one of our magazines that the reason he loved working and living in Australia during the production of both films, was because Australia was the last country in the world where noboddy cared about politcal correctness. We're a bunch of barbarians and love it!
laugh.gif

I'm ignoring the comment about you almost being an old lady! *laughs* If you knew the absolutely stupid anxiety I went through when my age ticked from 29 to 30 this year, you'd be out in major sympathy for me! Granted at 30 people usually don't look their age, we all still usually pass for twenty something, but life is so focused on youth and looking youthful you do fall victim to it! I hate that about our society. I have students in their late teens and just hitting 21 who are terrified of getting old. And old to them is anywhere between 25 and 50. Both male and female. Men are terrified of losing hair, muscle tone, all of that... and it doesn't happen if you take care! Women, well, as one you know all of our irrational fears.

I chose the handle 'Satai Delenn' because to me Mira Furlan is a fantastic role model. She's a woman well and truly into adulthood who is simply gorgeous, talented, and courageous. For me, Delenn is very much in a way I guess, a role model.

Your teachers are right. You mature as an actor as you age. When I look at the video of me in productions I was in back when I was in Uni... I'm shocked. The last role I had was in a short film, I was 27. In comparison I went from one of those Brady Bunch kids to Meryl Streep. I'm no where near Meryl in real life, but the change in me was so startling. SMG is obviously coming into her own.

I also agree with Bakana. The reason I got out of the industry, they want young, beautiful and sexy more often than not. I was still young, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I was and am not and never will be sexy. I'm far to cerebral and serious for that, and don't really like sexy. That's for bed, and the person I choose to be with. It's not for the rest of the world!

Oops... there's my soapbox again!

I'd better shut up now! *laughs*

Channe, your possible crisis if you make it to Aus is my dream! I love winter. I'm not a summer person, I despise the heat!

Our Winters get bad, but nothing like what you are probably used to. No Hurricanes, snow is rare unless you're in the high country, and our temperatures average minus 9 at the worst, to usually something like 4 to 6 degrees celsius for both Canberra and Melbourne. Canberra is a cold place in Winter, it gets bitter and will snow if it's cold enough, but you'll do fine. Our winters are often clear but crisp beautiful blue days. Australia is really blessed with the weather we have.

Chris Farrell... that's a very good question! How many Aussies are there here, we seem to be taking over the board!!

------------------

bakana -

Strangely enough, I think I've heard a variation on that story, actually.

Women writers only get respect in the academic world....

------------------
-Aeschylus

SATAIDELENN: I so understand where you are coming from. I ticked over from 30 to 31 this year, and for some reason I really felt it more than last year.

You see, I am still in the acting biz and here in NZ they put you in age brackets when casting. They also insist on you saying your actual age when you do the ID. (which I think is rude and very wrong)

This year I graduated to the 31-35 bracket. The annoying thing is that with my asian blood, my screen age is more mid twenties. And so I get put up for mother type roles etc and never seem to get them.

Most recently I had a part in a feature playing a young twenty something trickster. It was a fun role, and I'm hoping people will start to look past my actual age at last. Time will tell.

I go through cycles of wanting to chuck the whole thing in, it truly is a mean industry for women and I feel the pressure... but then a guest role or something comes along and I feel happy again for a while.

So right now I'm assessing what I want to do with my life, I have other interests but acting will always come first. I miss theatre work and may try to go back to that for a while - no money in it really, but good for the soul.

The reasons why you admire Delenn and Mira Furlan are sooo in synch with my own feelings....and when you got up on your soapbox I was right with ya girl!!!
wink.gif

Anyhow, I'd love to here more about your experiences in Oz. Drop me a line sometime
scully@ihug.co.nz

CHANNE: Here is a repost about why I am really enjoying Buffy and Angel...

I've just started diving into Buffy and Angel now that they are available on DVD a vid here in NZ and I must say I'm impressed.
Before watching some marathons I thought 'cheap thrill, nubile heroine and fluff dialogue and plots'...

Oops I was wrong.

G'kar is quotable here, I really had a bad case of making assumptions. Buffy and Angel have both proven to have fantastic characters who develop and change over time and who break out of their seemingly stereotypical moulds (sp?), actions do tend to have consequences, the writing is mostly very snappy and clever but also insightful when it needs to be. There are story throughlines, and dramatic payoffs, and Joss Whedon and crew do tend to love fore-shadowing and re-incorporating stuff. I also like the irreverant tone the sometimes creeps into the writing, when a poignant or sad moment us undercut by humour or farce.

I'd recommend both series.

Oh and while the two shows are generally lighter in tone than B5, there is still a lot going on dramatically, and the exploration of the dark side of vampires and the supernatural underworld is very engrossing.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Zoriah (edited November 05, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

Back