• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A B5 question for Estonians

Parun

OK, so I know that the reedited 1998 version of The Gathering was shown on an Estonian channel in 1998 and all the five seasons followed in 2000/2001. And I thought that that's all, there's nothing else of B5 for us Estonians but a few days ago I saw a VHS tape in a R-Kiosk shop here in Tartu named Babylon 5: Mis oli enne... (B5:ITB) with an Estonian cover and subtitles.

So I started wondering about the other telemovies. Have they been shown on an Estonian channel or at least translated? Or are there any plans to do that?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
OK, so I know that the reedited 1998 version of The Gathering was shown on an Estonian channel in 1998 and all the five seasons followed in 2000/2001.

[/quote]
I think it was original The Gathering, not reedited version.
And I thought that that's all, there's nothing else of B5 for us Estonians but a few days ago I saw a VHS tape in a R-Kiosk shop here in Tartu named Babylon 5: Mis oli enne... (B5:ITB) with an Estonian cover and subtitles.

[/quote]
I have borrowed it....very good VHS and sound quality. I was amazed that VHS can be that good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(Although there are some strange translateing (sp?) but thats not a problem for me)
So I started wondering about the other telemovies. Have they been shown on an Estonian channel or at least translated? Or are there any plans to do that?

[/quote]
No and No. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was not aware of that. The only ones I knew of... are the ones aired by Kanal 2. Although I watched part of the series, and part of "Crusade" already earlier on Finnish television.

Yep... what Sigma and Lennier said. No other telemovies have been shown here (well, ItB hasn't been shown either but somehow it turned up on video). And The Gathering, of which I have rather vague memories, was definitely the original version... since I do remember seeing both the "alien zoo" and the "cone of silence" G'Kar created for his talk with Lyta.

Both times I've seen the rest of the telemovies has been on Finnish TV, YLE 2.

YLE 2 did a great job indeed.. I'm from Finland myself and now afterwards I'm amazed that YLE2 showed the gathering + whole b5, all b5 movies (except rangers) and even Crusade. That's pretty unique here in Finland.. Where almost every series are abandoned in the middle... Like Stargate..

No different on Austrian TV - Thats why people rely on german TV. They show series completely - But in synchronised versions - YUK! I have all eps on tape in german but I downloaded them all in english from the net I couldn't handle the german translations anymore.

Yeah, YLE 2 was great. They pretty much showed everything there was to show - plus the telemovies again last year, unless I'm mistaken.

I was half-hoping for the Estonian Kanal 2 to pick up Crusade and the telemovies as well, but of course that was too much to hope for. I'm just amazed they got B5 at all. Must have been cheap enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChiLlBeserker - I can imagine how you feel. I totally hate dubbing - even as a concept. I can understand it for cartoons meant for preschool kids, but that's it. Subtitles are the only way to go. Fortunately using subtitles has, as far as I know, always been the tradition in Nordic countries and here as well - although I'm not sure whether this is just a sign of intelligence or because the country populations are too small in this region to justify the expenses of dubbing (since proper dubbing probably costs considerably more than slapping subtitles on the thing).

Rule: never attribute to wisdom which can be attributed to lower cost. If a company does something right, it usually does so because the other option would not make profit. Remember, some shows (especially soap operas) have dubbing over here too.

As for dubbing in general, I hate it too.
It ruins pretty much half the effort spent by actors.
Luckily in soaps, there is rarely any effort to begin with.

Nope, soaps here don't have dubbing.

A voiceover - read in a monotonous voice by one actor, who does all the parts, and when you can still sorta hear the original dialogue underneath it - is not the same as dubbing.

And yes, I do realise it's probably the cost factor, I think I said as much. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Still, it's also a good way to keep literacy rates fairly high. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course, voiceover is even worse - many times worse - than properly done dubbing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fortunately they only do that for soaps and some kids' cartoons here, no "real" shows or movies.

YLE 2 did a great job indeed.. I'm from Finland myself and now afterwards I'm amazed that YLE2 showed the gathering + whole b5, all b5 movies (except rangers) and even Crusade. That's pretty unique here in Finland.. Where almost every series are abandoned in the middle... Like Stargate..

[/quote]

Well, that's because YLE is a channel owned by the goverment, which means that they don't have to rely on commercial-breaks. They can be very loyal to the small group of fans.

MTV3 in the other hand has to think the money which comes from commercials. And as the Stargate and other scifi-shows have a relatively small group of viewers, those shows can be sacrificed and replaced with such stuff as The X-Files, Dark Angel, Ally McBeal, etc.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Kribu:
And The Gathering, of which I have rather vague memories, was definitely the original version... since I do remember seeing both the "alien zoo" and the "cone of silence" G'Kar created for his talk with Lyta.

[/quote]

OK, if you people say it! I don't remember anything at all from that time. I just believed my TV magazin outcut from that time saying:

Kanal 2
"Babylon 5" (1993/1998)

(It's just fun to look at the announcement again! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I guess they just made a little error there.

Hey, someone actually looked at my site!
Cool!

But that's still far away from all of them. I guess I have to wait for the DVD's to get the others in good quality.

Yes, I think in Into the Fire sheridan actually cites the fact that there are at least 40 races involved in the Army of Light fleet facing off against the shadows. evn with your list, that still leaves us a bit short. It would be nice if we could have a poster depicting the Milky Way with arrows pointing to the location of the different races and homeworlds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back