• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

4400 Discussion Thread

The Mini-Series was meant to lead to a Series, if everything goes well (IE: If the ratings showed it was worth continuing with)

Exactly...think of this as a mini-series that was to serve as a pilot into a possible series. Just enough info, speculation, and goodies dropped into it to explain some stuff...get you the jist of what is going on...get you into the characters a bit...and leave you with questions and wondering in hopes of a series.

I thought it was pretty decent. The ending with Tom's son was "interesting" to say the least, as was their explaination as to what this was all about. If there is a series I will watch it and check it out further. I can't say I am surprised by the explaination...only surprised they said as much as they did so early. Frankly I think leaving everyone wondering WHERE they came from would have been better...and that they should have revealed something else. As far as I am concerned much of the wonder has already been explained (assuming that it is 100% true an accurate and Tom wasnt just being told something that was untrue to guide him elsewhere).

But the explaination was one of two that I considered to be what happened since day 1.

Re: SPOILER TIME!

Yes, the 4400 was conceived as a limited series with possibility of renewal. I think by the second episode, USA gave the series a greenlight. I've heard some people call this the greatest science fiction they've ever seen. I think that's a bit much. It's entertianing but derivative of so many sources it's hard to even name them all. So now we know where the 4400 came from (or went). Is anyone else surprised that a group of Trek vets came up with the idea of Earth people from the future altering humans and "dropping them back into the timeline" to prevent a future catastrophe? Oy!

I also found it interesting to see, im addition to al the ex-trekkers in the credits, the names of Robert Hewitt Wolfe (creator of "Andromeda") and Steve Geaghan (production designer for B5: Legend of the Rangers).

It's like a sci-fi halfway house.

I've managed to get hold of the series and have to say I really enjoyed it :) A bit cheesy in places but what isn't these days!

If they're going to continue the series, I hope they're quick about it. I'm waiting impatiently.

I was just looking through the forum on the 4400 website and saw this thread. It's an unofficial statement, but it looks like there may be another 15 episodes :D

Here is a post from one of the people from that other thread...who is the USA Forum Administrator and a friend of one of the actors in this series:

By the way, they made the 5th episode end the way it did, because when they filmed it, they weren't sure if the show would continue or not. They closed it off enough so you figured out where they were, why, etc, but they also left it open for many new story lines incase it got picked up for a full season.

I think anyone who watched the miniseries realizes this, but this sort of emphasises to me how much I *DONT* like the way they do these miniseries-which-could-get-picked-up-into-a-series things.

I understand the logic. Have a short miniseries and if it is highly watched you know you have an audience who would be interested in the series. It is better than trying to slip in a 1 hour pilot and trying to get people to watch.

What I DONT like is that usually they do have to treat the miniseries as a standalone...and thus have SOME closure to it. While that makes sense and is a good thing if the series doesn't get picked up, I think its bad when they do. In the 4400's case I think a majority of the mystery was answered in that last episode. I think they could have had a whole season or two dealing with buildup as to what they were and why they were. Instead...its already explained. Now the show, imo, is reduced to almost an X-Files format. No big overall mystery per say, just dealing with the individuals.

I think that is a letdown for this series, but I will still give it a chance. I think Battlestar Galactia was done well for a miniseries as it showed how things began...and didnt answer much.

I think back to the 80's and "V" and THAT first miniseries was a PERFECT setup for a series. It showed how the resistance started...but left it VERY open for a series. However they fucked that up by first doing "V: The FINAL Battle" and then the series after THAT (guess it wasnt so final). Either way they really screwed it up with those last 2, but thats another story.

So Im not a big fan of doing shows like this because sometimes you have to give away too much of the story.

Could you imagine if B5 started like this? A 6 episode miniseries that by the end had to reveal what the hole in Sinclair's mind was? Ick!

I guess it wouldnt have been so bad if they would have treated it like some others and just left things open...

I suppose that makes me a fan of miniseries to be TV shows for them leaving it open and not resolving things. THAT would make me watch the series more. If it doesnt get picked up...well its just one more untold story.

What can I say--I *hate* cliffhangers! It's a good thing I caught all but the 5th season of B5 in the reruns--it's so much easier wathching episodes 4 days a week and seeing the whole show in about 4 months than having to hold your breath for 5 whole seasons. I can't wait to see the *real* Farscape finale.

Personally, I think the writers of the 4400 left plenty of questions for the series.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

*How* is Kyle's dad supposed to help the 4400? What's with that baby? What's going to happen to the little girl? Will Kyle remember anything? What's going to happen with Sean, especially now that he's gone to live in the rich creep's alleged haven? And what's that rich creep really up to?

Back