• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

15 certificate?

MrFlibble

OK, something I don't quite get. Why is the series 4 boxset rated 15 when the videos were rated 12? I know its a petty question but it just baffles me, just how do they judge whats suitatabl;e for 12 yr olds and whats not. Lord of the Rings was rated 12 and that had way moire constatnt violence than B5!
Just realised, if you're living in America (Or anywhere else apart from Britain) you may have no idea what I'm talking about. So here goes:
U= Suitable for all
PG=general viewing but some scenes unacceptable to children
12=no one below 12 allowed to watch
15, 18=Yopu can probably work this out by now.
Feel free to put me in my place if anywhere else has this really crappy rating system :eek:

There is one file classified 15 - the Gag Reel.

We must teach the actors not to use swear words when they swear. Even with all the bleeps there is still too much swearing left. :rolleyes: :mad:

Ah yes, the gag reel. i'd forgotten all about that. I wasn't condemning the 15 certificate (i'd love to see a more adult babylon 5)I just found it a little puzzling :rolleyes:

Lord of the Rings was rated 12 and that had way moire constatnt violence than B5!

If it is as AM Swallow says, that it's because of the swearing (I realize this may have been a joke, but I have not yet watched the gag reel so I can't confirm), than that's f(bleepbleep)ucked up.

Yeah, swearing is bad - dismembering people is Ok. :)

Yeah, swearing is bad - dismembering people is Ok.

There was a lot of fighting and killing in LotR, but I don't remember it (them) being that "gory". Given the original subject matter and the fact that the story is founded on war and killing, it is not out of context for the movie to show that.

And surely context is what counts, particularly where home videos and DVDs are concerned. Without the gag reel, the rest of the season box set should be rated 12 as per the highest rating on any of the individual VHS tapes.

However, if the whole set had been rated that, how many parents would have been angry that one of the special features their kids were watching suddenly exploded in expletives, as it were. By giving it a 15 rating, the VSC at least warns people that there is content here suitable for an older audience.

That said, the gag reels are my two children's favourite bits of the S2, 3 and 4 sets and they are only 8 and 7. We just tell them that the bleeps stop us hearing the naughty words.

:eek:

Without the gag reel, the rest of the season box set should be rated 12 as per the highest rating on any of the individual VHS tapes.

Just a point of curiosity:

Were the original UK VHS tapes the full US versions of the episodes or were they the edited versions originally aired in the UK? I seem to remember that what was aired in the UK occassionally had some of the violence edited out. One example was that Franklin's stabbing wasn't shown in the UK (at least during the original run).

IF (and I know it is a big "if") the VHS tapes had been the UK edited versions, then that could also explain the difference in rating.

Just a thought.

The UK VHS casettes were the full version of the episodes, they were classified as 12.

The censorship took the programs down to PG, making then suitable for yong children.

The UK VHS casettes were the full version of the episodes, they were classified as 12.

The censorship took the programs down to PG, making then suitable for yong children.

Actually, IIRC, because S4 was shown at 10:40pm it was the only B5 season to actually be shown uncut in its first run.

Conversely, seasons 1-3 were shown on a weeknight at 6:00pm and S5 was shown at around midday on Sunday (apart from the final five episodes which were shown over a single week at around 9:30 in the morning!) and all were cut to ribbons.

The mind well and truly boggles, does it not?

:rolleyes:

Channel 4, they really do not have a clue about how to do anything except stick the Friends tapes in on random shuffle.
Catching B5 in the schedules was very difficult.

I remember the final 5 episodes of season 5 being shown on a kids easter holiday slot!!!!!

Then there was the whole Angel debacle..... :mad:

I remember the final 5 episodes of season 5 being shown on a kids easter holiday slot!!!!!

It was Christmas/New Year actually, :p but that doesn't make it any better!!!!

Then there was the whole Angel debacle..... :mad:

Now I'm intrigued - what was the debacle? I notice that it is now on C5, I assume the two are related ...

Angel started on C4 and the first episodes were cut dramatically, plus some episodes were missed out altogether. The outcry from fans resulted in the rest of the season (I think) being shown at a later timeslot and the uncut whole season was repeated late night not long after.

Conversely, seasons 1-3 were shown on a weeknight at 6:00pm and S5 was shown at around midday on Sunday (apart from the final five episodes which were shown over a single week at around 9:30 in the morning!) and all were cut to ribbons.
The last 5 episodes of Season 5 were shown between Chistmass and New Year. They formed part of the T4 breakfast show (hence the clock) at midday.

Breakfast at Midday? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back