• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Daily Show

I've now started watching this show because of this thread. :cool: Almost as good as Royal Canadian Air Farce. :p

Clinton definitely has his speaking points, which isn't surprising because he's been speaking a lot. It's too bad that he is now considered such a polarising figure (even though he's probably the most moderate nationally famous politician) because he makes more sense, and provides more political insight, then both candidates, all the pundits and media.

Everyone has been talking about optimism after the Convention, but Clinton's optimism is genuine and practicaly and, considering what his political enemies did to him, admirable. His point about not winning with policy leading pols to attack character is so important. He also dismissed Stewart's worry over the media by claiming it's balancing itself out after its post-9/11 apathy.

The funniest joke last night was (before the interview) when they played a clip of McCain condemning the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth TV ad (full of lies about Kerry's service). Then Stewart says with exaggerated exasperation an a deep breath, "But... I still support the campaign of George W Bush," deep breath out, eyes rolling. :LOL:

I've now started watching this show because of this thread. Almost as good as Royal Canadian Air Farce.

Gah, I gave up on Air Farce years ago, I find it dated and unfunny. This Hour has 22 Minutes is better, but it too has lost some of it's edge. It feels unpatriotic to say this, but ... I think The Daily Show has trumped Canadian political satire. Which is a change, I always thought our political satire was better.

Clinton definitely has his speaking points, which isn't surprising because he's been speaking a lot. It's too bad that he is now considered such a polarising figure (even though he's probably the most moderate nationally famous politician) because he makes more sense, and provides more political insight, then both candidates, all the pundits and media.

Everyone has been talking about optimism after the Convention, but Clinton's optimism is genuine and practicaly and, considering what his political enemies did to him, admirable. His point about not winning with policy leading pols to attack character is so important. He also dismissed Stewart's worry over the media by claiming it's balancing itself out after its post-9/11 apathy.

This was my first experience with Clinton in an interview, I'd heard his speeches, but seeing him one-on-one with Stewart really impressed me. Clinton came across as very intelligent and thoughtful. Best line of the night? Paraphrased, "When people think, Democrats win." I'm so considering adding that to my sig.

The funniest joke last night was (before the interview) when they played a clip of McCain condemning the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth TV ad (full of lies about Kerry's service). Then Stewart says with exaggerated exasperation an a deep breath, "But... I still support the campaign of George W Bush," deep breath out, eyes rolling. :LOL:

I loved that bit.

Thanks, Kraig. The one interview I wish I hadn't missed they don't seem to have: the one with Bill Clinton.

Maureen Dowd was on yesterday. I never knew she was so pretty.

Ed Helms' technology report was as funny as usual.

Thanks, Kraig. The one interview I wish I hadn't missed they don't seem to have: the one with Bill Clinton.

They will hopefully get around to posting it sometime before the end of the month. If you're luck.

I liked the show last night as well. Showing Alan Keyes, a right-wing pundit and former presidential and senatorial candidate who lives in Maryland, has announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate on the Republican Party ticket in Illinois in 2004.

Alan Keyes in 2000 - "And I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton’s willingness to go into a state she doesn’t even live in and pretend to represent people there. So I certainly wouldn’t imitate it."

Yeah, they always do stuff like that, play clips of people saying conflicting things. It's great.

What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise? Cackling like an ass at every little thing. I guess he thought since it's a comedy show he should fake excessive joviality. Even Stewart raised an eyebrow or two at it. I'll give Cruise credit, though- he still looks like the Risky Business kid (which is why I had such a hard time watching him in Last Samurai and probably will when I rent Collatoral).

Cruise did the same thing on Late Night with Conan O'Brian. O'Brian could hardly get a word in.

Last night it was Cheney bashing Kerry for using the word sensitive in connection with war followed but a clip of Bush using sensitive to the exact same group Kerry spoke to one day later.

The sad thing is that none of the normal news orgs will do this.

For those readers outside America it should be noted that the international edition of CNN carries the Daily Show. I think it's around 11 pm GMT (roughly).

It really is a great show. I usually forget it but I did catch the interview with Clinton and it was just great.

The interview was pretty cool.

My favorite question: "What kind of loyalty oath do people have to sign to get into your political rallies?"

I was impressed with how cool Kerry handled the swiftboat issue. Stewart brought up how they're slamming his character and he claimed he's faced worse (this would of course include his '96 campaign for re-election to the Senate, where one of the SBVT guys was supporting his character back then :rolleyes: )

There was a fantastic joke before the interview: he played a clip of Bush/Cheney campaign guy dismissing the connections between the SBVT and Bush as similar to the 6 degrees of seperation with Kevin Bacon game. Stewart then "played" and connected Bush w/ SBVT in two, then one. Then he says, "I tried playing that game with Hussein an Al Queda- didn't work"

I was watching Sky News (a 24 hour news channel here in the UK (and maybe elsewhere)) this morning and they had a segment on the Daily Show and how politicians are appearing on it to get in touch with younger voters. They talked about how John Kerry appeared ("Upon being slapped as a baby, John Kerry applied for and received his first Purple Heart". Followed by a clip of Kerry laughing). They then said something along the lines of:

"With George W. Bush being such an easy target, it might be reasonable to assume that John Stewart would want him to be re-elected in Novemeber to provide him with more material"

When they put this to John Stewart, he replied something along the lines of:

"You think that I want the world to go up in flames, just so that I can make more jokes? I didn't realise we appeared that.... soulless."

Yeh...just a little warning to folks, though this warning should also be stated in the political threads: Sky News is the international wing and sister network to none other than FNC.

Welcome to hell.
:D
CE

Stewart made the excellent and what should be blindinlgy obvious point on his show recently about the criticisms that the show is "liberal": Republicans control all three branches of government. OF COURSE they're going to get hit more- they're the ones in power.

I thought I had heard that his own politics were rather conservative. I have not noticed a slant in that direction from what I've seen of his show. If it's true, he does a great job of balancing. :)

Too bad it's such a late air time for me. :eek:

The jokes have definitely been directed more at Bush. The three things that pushed it over, I think, were:

1. That whole Iraq thing
2. Valerie Plume (he regularly refers to Robert Novak as a douchebag or "The Great Douchebag of Libery")
3. Now the swiftboat thing.

He slams Kerry regularly for his speaking style and has come down on the "anybody but Bush" sentiment as well, particularly in a brilliant political "ad" that promotes Kerry as patently "not Bush."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back