• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Let me end the silence...(some spoilers)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>UPN would be a great lead-out show for Enterprise though.... two very dedicated fan bases, to very sci-fi shows.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The United Paramount Network taking a B5 series? I guess stranger things have happened (Michael Jackson marrying Elvis's daughter comes to mind) but not often.

(Although the local UPN affliate down here used to run B5 in the last off-network hour right before Voyager.
laugh.gif
)

Glad to see that my pessism re: other homes for the show may be excessive. I may not see any other possibilities, but then, I'm not in the TV business and only speculate based on the information I have.

In any event, I'm not giving up on Sci-Fi by any means. I've already written to the network and twenty-one different show sponors and I'll write more as more information comes in. (I watched the movie on DirecTV, so I may have seen a different mix of even national commercials than someone who watched on DISH or on cable. I've already received an e-mail with the DISH infor, so I'll update my files and posts accordingly.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I live in San Diego! San Diego kicks a**!
smile.gif

Since Dylan wasn't the one who gave the San Diego info, I'll include it in my letter to SFC.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I don't think UPN would pick up the show. I think its a lot more likely that WB would pick it up.

Also I have to say: I hope UPN doesn't get it.

Mainly cause I don't get UPN and I want to see the Rangers series too!

I hope the Sci-fi channel is smart enough to realize that this show would be one of their top rated shows. SPECIALLY if they put it on the same night as NEW Farscape.

*dreams: Farscape, Legend of the Rangers, and Stargate on the same night*

I know what I'd be watching that night!

Anyway, here's hoping that sci-fi channel does the show.

Or WB.

Like I said, doubt UPN or TNT (I know TNT wouldn't pick it up and a lot of us wouldn't want them too) would pick it up.

Most likely home for it, if not on Sci-Fi, would either be USA or WB.

DF2506
" Course this is just me guessing. And hoping."

------------------

Dylan, those smiley faces were like a lifeline!

I sent my letter this morning to Sci-Fi. There's not much else I can do but cheer you guys on, hope, and make a nuisance out of myself at this messageboard.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

If the B5 DVD did as well as it reportedly did - garnering us, REPORTEDLY, the first season on disc - would that factor into the decision for the series - if they know the market is out there for B5 product?

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Being a Pats fan here in the east I HAD to watch the game but saw the movie sun afternoon and taped it also.
I wonder how the old B5 movies did during the week ratings wise leading up to LOTR movie. If they were OK maybe Sci fi can run legends again on a week nite to see how it does and try to get new viewers too. I want a series too.
I place a lot of importance in how strong the Captain acts and is portrayed and Mr. Neal carried it off perfectly.
Thanks and Good Luck
smile.gif

------------------

Hey Das Monkey...........
I'll be your wingman in a B-5 LR dogfight
any day.
laugh.gif

To Dylan
smile.gif
FAITH MANAGES...
cool.gif

I knew the wind would blow in good news.
I can feel something good in the air. This serious is going to go to filming I just know it.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

To De Martino, Semper Fi........

B-5 World FOREVER MORE!!!!!

----------
"You have always been here." Kosh (Speaking to Sheridan,from: All Alone In The Night.)

[This message has been edited by for the one (edited January 26, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris O'Farrel:
Never seen you this down since the whole rebuf of the near C partical beams
smile.gif

Yes this is a setback. Yes it was bad luck. BUt half the people here are acting as if the future is written. Its not (unless this is the Voyager universe in which case we are doomed, DOOMED!)

Errhm (gets under control)

What was it that Lenier said in Atonement? That he would take whatever comes no matter what. Looks like as good a phrase as any.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Near C particle beams? Don't think I have even commented on it.
tongue.gif

This just happens so many times though, remember being there at the beginning of the ITF game, waiting a couple years for it, looking better every day. Then cancellation. But no... hope is there, for another company may buy the rights. And it nearly happens, but doesn't. But no wait... hope... people are campaigning (of which I was a part of), someones bound to take notice. Silence. But no wait... hope... we have the people who made the game having the intelligence to realise the potential so try and get the game made themselves. Sierra salts the Earth. But no wait... hope... there may be a chance of getting it again. Damn, we no longer have any chance of getting the money together. All this over years of trying.

Same with Crusade, which is still going on but is as dead as it was the day we learnt it was cancelled.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Chris... Lennier dies... not the greatest quote when the guy dies years later.
laugh.gif
</font></td></tr></table>

Sure there is a chance of it getting a series, theres a chance the earth will spin out of control tomorrow. Anything can happen. But I've just seen it too many times with B5 over far too many years to be hopeful anymore, I'm hopeful that I'll actually watch the movie in my lifetime though.
smile.gif
And as Gideon would say, I'm a realist.
frown.gif

But like I said in another thread, I can at least hope that I am wrong... which you can set your watch by.
laugh.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If only they'd aired Rangers on either January 5th or 26th, this would not have happened. Clearly someone at SFC was not paying attention.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The NFL moved the playoff games up one week after SFC had set LotR's premiere. At that point, they really couldn't move the movie again because of promotions and selling commercial time.

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

I was thinking of something that might give us more hope. When we were trying to get Crusade back, JMS' relationship with TNT had ended badly. As far as I can tell, JMS & SFC are still on good terms. So at least we're on good footing this time.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:

It got an unusually high rating in large part because it aired in prime time, and this is the first year that the NFL has put playoff games in prime time. Also, the fact that the Saturday playoff games would be in prime time has been known since at least the beginning of the season, and the fact that one of them would be held on January 19th has been known for 3-4 months, since September 11th caused the NFL to delay the playoffs by a week. If only they'd aired Rangers on either January 5th or 26th, this would not have happened. Clearly someone at SFC was not paying attention.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A representative of SciFi announced at Worldcon on Labor Day weekend that the date would be January 19th. Do you have an exact date when the NFL officially announced their playoff schedule? I know there was a question for a while what they were going to do.

Secondly, has anyone noticed that most of the other networks counter-programmed the game with "Female-oriented" programming? ABC did "Mary Poppins", TNT did "Grease". Even HBO had the box offic flop "Pay it Forward". TBS did "Coal Minor's Daughter".
If a guy doesn't like football, there wasn't much for him to choose. The football didn't get *all* the viewing.

(Unless "Anaconda" on NBC is considered serious competition for the male audience for B5LR.)

Maybe SciFi felt that the football might hurt a little but the lack of other real competition would help. It's hard to speculate.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
In fact I must say that I was expecting much worse and am pleasantly surprised by the reaction!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, GREAT JOB!
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
It's quite clear on this board and others that even among fans that were disappointed, most wish to see a series and would give it another chance - what more can you ask for.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It had me wishing I could tune in within a week and see the first Season 1 episode.

Basically we got destroyed by the football game. I guess this shouldn't be too much of a shock considering many of you here stated you would watch the game over the movie if you had to choose,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that wasn't me. You say there was a football game on?
smile.gif
Unfortunately, I don't count, Nielsen-wise.

and if die-hard fans are saying that, how could we expect the 'regular' viewing public to do any differently.
What can I say, I'm as disappointed as all of you. It seems that despite SCI FI's admiral publicity campaign, they simply picked the absolute worst night to air the movie. I think they would have had better luck throwing a dart at a calendar than picking the 19th. I don't know whether the network was aware of the game when it first decided on the 19th, but that game was the highest rated game in over FIVE years!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if they'd air Steven Spielberg's "Taken" across from the Pittsburgh game, and "Taken" got destroyed (a certainty), they'd figure it out.
smile.gif

Now where do we go from here? I am not saying that all is lost by any means! The network is aware of all of this and if I know Doug Netter, he is pitching statistics right left and center in an attempt to make sure the network and studio see the clear picture here. When all the numbers are released I think there will be some good things in there along with the bad. There are many ways to break down Nielsen stats, and I'm sure that is what the network is doing right now.

I think Antony had a good idea in asking all of you to voice your support for a series at SCI FI's website. As I said in my last post, B5 for whatever reason has and may continue to be 'the little engine that could', that uphill struggle aint over, and anything you do to be heard as fans can't hurt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have, but I kept getting shut out due to High Volume, so I sent email and snail mail instead.

Here are some addresses:

Ms. Bonnie Hammer, President
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

b5rangers@www.scifi.com

b5ranger@icarus.usanetworks.com

feedback@www.scifi.com

If I could make a little request here, when speaking of this information, try not to make it sound like somehow I spilled the beans or that I'm the source of all these stats. I'm simply confirming what you already know and felt obliged to 'speak amongst friends' if you will.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't spilled anything. You're just lending some confirmation to something we've already surmised. There's no reason that anybody should mention you in relation to this.

Silence is not a death knell as some have surmised, some things just need to be worked out in due time. We all want Rangers to go, and I thank you again for all your support,
even your criticisms. I've had a good chuckle over many of the posts, isn't controversy fun?!
laugh.gif

Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our support has only just begun.
smile.gif
And so it begins (the letter writing).
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
A representative of SciFi announced at Worldcon on Labor Day weekend that the date would be January 19th. Do you have an exact date when the NFL officially announced their playoff schedule? I know there was a question for a while what they were going to do.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have an exact date, but it was a couple of weeks after September 11th, which is after Labor Day--so you have a point there. (I didn't realize that the Rangers airdate had been set that early.)

Still, they could have changed the airdate once they found out. It seems like changing the date for a TV movie three months in advance would not be so difficult to pull off, given the last minute schedule changes SFC has made in the past. But others probably know more about such matters than I do....

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
A representative of SciFi announced at Worldcon on Labor Day weekend that the date would be January 19th. Do you have an exact date when the NFL officially announced their playoff schedule? I know there was a question for a while what they were going to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know an exact date, but it was definitely after Labor Day that the NFL scheduled a playoff game for the evening of January 19. Under the schedule that the NFL originally announced, there would have been four playoff games the weekends of the 5-6 and 12-13, with one Saturday evening game each. Then there would have been NO games on Saturday the 19 and two games (the conference finals) on Sunday the 20. So the 19th was actually a good pick for a January slot -- no football, and no Super Bowl hype yet.

Then September 11 happened, the NFL canceled a week of games, and took a week or two to decide what it was going to do. Eventually it moved its entire schedule forward one week, and the games scheduled for the 12-13 had to be rescheduled for the 19-20. By then it had probably been at least three weeks to a month since Sci Fi set its schedule. I have no idea whether or not moving the movie was a possibility at that point, but at least we know that when Sci Fi picked the date, they had no idea they'd be competing with a playoff game.

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:

BAAAAAAABYYYYLLLOOOOONNN !!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was your "BAAAAAAABYYYYLLLOOOOONNN !!!!!" you doing a take on Londo before he passed out on the table?
laugh.gif
blush.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

...but in the cold light of day they have to realize that an NFL play-off game, in primetime, pulling record ratings, is tidal wave that is going to swamp a small boat like Rangers every time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a tidal wave that would swamp anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I'm curious to know how the two encore airings did on the East Coast. (If I'd been a Neilsen household they would have shown me watching both the 9 PM and 11 PM airings, because I went back and watched it again after this site crashed.
smile.gif
)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'd been a Neilsen household they would have shown me watching all three airings (taping and cutting a few commercials incase it ran long).
smile.gif
I wasn't about to miss an ending.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
Personally I don't think anything we do will get a series if there isn't really a market for the show I'm starting to think it may be a waste of time and effort.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a market for the show. The problem was that the movie got put up against the 500lb. mainstream gorilla (football playoffs).

What are you investing, a few minutes to write a letter, and a stamp? This is worth it!

Hope may be all we have, but we've got to do our best to increase Rangers' odds as much as possible.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:
If everybody had reacted like you 6 years ago, we never had the seasons 3, 4 and 5 of the original serie.

"Lets dedicate our new combat to all people who predict the death of B5LR. Faith Manages. "

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said!
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
Thanks for making me feel a little better I wish I could take back that awful post but I can't .As the end of s4 I believe says Faith Manages for the beginning of s5 about getting a fifth season .Hopefully sfc will defintely take that consideration into there final decision that it won't be airing opposite a football game we may get a chance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I responded a little harshly to your first post I apologize. I just got to this one. Man, this thread has really taken off!

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Somehow I don't see them going to TNT.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't even say that! Not even joking. *shiver*
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire