• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

I think a lot of shows are going for the season-by-season arc more than the 5-year gamble of B5, because it's a lot easier to guarantee that you won't get axed in the middle of one season. This can lead to some disconnects to those of us raised on B5, but it's still a big improvement over "ep by ep, a two-parter at most."

The ones that run longer are at their best, however, when they refer back to prior arcs.

The master wanker in this area must be Rick Berman though. I remember reading an interview with him in the very early days of Enterprise's run .. when future guy was the great big mystery.

.. and he kept going on about how ... "oh, we don't know yet who he is. But I'm sure we'll think of something!"

That's another great example. Yet another reason I detest Berman. That was the one part of Enterprise at the start that I thought would be cool, but clearly, as he admitted, they didn't even know what they were going to do from the start. So weak.

Yeah Enterprise, I am surprised no one has mention the crap series with Gene Roddenberry name attached to them, GR Earths Final conflict, and GR Andromeda. EFC was only good with the first protagonist and totally went down the drain the final season pulling a Sliders. Andromeda started as a one of action show no arc then changed writing staff and did more arcs but some of the stuff was more like acid trippy stuff, something about one of the characters being a star incarnate something.

JMS was still flexible about how and where certains things came to happen though. I remember reading in interview how he had held back on offing Kosh... but eventually the character himself mentally prompted JMS to do the deed.

Absolutely, I never said different. That falls under the "some but not all of how it middles". The important point was that he knew what the final destination was to be.

It wasn't meant as a correction or disagreement... more of an addendum. Sorry for any cofusion there.

Andromeda started as a one of action show no arc then changed writing staff and did more arcs but some of the stuff was more like acid trippy stuff, something about one of the characters being a star incarnate something.

Trance always was going to be a humanoid incarnation of a star, even under Robert Hewitt Wolfe before they booted him unceremoniously from the show. What he had in mind for her though was FAR better than what ended up being crapped out by whatever boring writers they brought on the show after they fired him. When the show ended, he wrote a quasi-episode to outline for those who liked the show when he was writing it to see where he was taking it. In it he revealed that Trance and her people were literally Lucifers, aka Lightbringers -- conscious stars -- who actively sought to fight against the endless pull of the Abyss and keep the universe from being pulled by gravity back into a tight point that existed before the big bang. And that Trance's people are the ones that caused the big bang out of being bored from being forced to exist in the infinitesimal point of coexistance that the Abyss held them all in.

According to wikipedia, Apollo is the CAG right now .. link.

Maybe he wasn't demoted, but decided for himself that he prefers a Viper over CIC. Who knows.

Eh, look at Lee's promotion to commander as a brevet. He returned to his previous post when the need for his promotion dissappeared....or blew up in this case. It's like a battle field promotion that is rescinded once the hostilities are over.

To backtrack a bit back onto the topic ..

I'd agree in principle.

HOWEVER, with that piss-pot Helo still acting as XO of Galactica - at least till last week - there were higher positions for Apollo that he was qualified for.

Considering all that Galactica & Co. have been through, it's easy to understand that the chain of command has gotten a little muddled and wonky. After all, hasn't Apollo openly broken with Adama at least twice? Adama has been very forgiving with his crew, because they're a good crew, doing their best. And on the flip side, in other circumstances Gaeta and Doualla would have been promoted long ago for their extraordinary service. In other words, it's getting the point where everyone's the same rank, underneath the Old Man, and they do their jobs not because of military discipline, but because that's what they're good at, and they have to to keep the race alive.

I mean, think about it. D doesn't have to take orders from Apollo if she doesn't want to. Nobody has to listen to Tigh unless Adama makes them. Helo's in the XO slot on Adama's suffrance, and Tigh will slide back into that slot if he's willing because Adama wants him there. Starbuck doesn't take orders from anyone except Adama, or at least there's always the off-chance she won't follow them, and on one or two occasions she's avoided Adama's command as well...

In other words, Adama is God -- all else is negotiable.

(May I briefly express my frustration that the first time I'm actually able to watch an ep live, it's not on the air? Ah well.)

Well, like a lot of people in power, Adama values loyalty. His relationship with both Tigh and Thrace bear this out. While Apollo may have had command experience over Helo, he wasn't going to shove him to the side. Helo stuck with Adama over their year in orbit. True, that might have had something to do with Sharon probably not being too welcome down on the planet. Regardless, he stayed. So Adama is willing to let him grow in the position. Plus, while being the CAG is one thing, having your son be your XO is just a bit too much on the nepotism scale.

Well tonight's episode was very interesting.

I liked the backstory (as dark and un-romantic as it might be) as to how Lee ended up marrying Dee. Good that they are going back filling in the holes.

I also liked Adama in the ring and his comments afterwards.

Lastly, man. Starbuck. What a mind fuck she is? That is one twisted up bitch. That was some pretty cold and fuckup up shit the pulled back on New Caprica. But I gotta tell you, I think Lee is just as fucked in the head too, considering it looked like at the end of their fight they were both saying how they missed each other. Why, God why, would he miss her after the shit she pulled? Id have never looked back...

Guess the man loves his punishment...

I think we have to remember that Starbuck is going to be fucked up no matter what. She suffered abuse as a child, and she feels responsible for her fiance's death by passing him in basic flight when he didn't have the "feel" for flying. She was held prisoner for months by a Cylon, killing him over and over, while he tries to get her to love him in his twisted way. Who knows what else has gone on in her life. These usually aren't the things that form a grounded, stable person.

I pretty much agree with Recoil, though. Good episode, and I'm glad not to have seen Baltar except for a little cameo, or any of the bad Cylons.

and I'm glad not to have seen Baltar except for a little cameo, or any of the bad Cylons.

I share the sentiment and that saddens me. What fun is a show where you can't dig the baddies?

I liked the flashbacks because I would have loved for the planet-side story to have lasted longer anyway. However the whole boxing premise was silly (sexism warning) 'cause there's no way a chick can take on a guy who knows what he's doing in the ring.

I *heart* Laura Roselyn, boxing fan.

You all get the feeling that either something did happen, and they haven't told us about it yet, or that something almost happened between Adama and Roslyn?

Well I think it was strongly implied that Adama and Roselyn would've hooked up had everyone stayed on the planet, but that Adama felt it was neceassary to maintain a presence in space and that he had to lead it.

That was pretty intense. Arguably the best ep so far this season, although the ep where Ellen died and everybody got rescued was pretty darn good too.

This, though... this restores my faltering confidence in the show. The writers seem to have remembered where the show's strength lies: the Adama/Roslin dynamic, the Lee/Kara dynamic, and doing bad things to our characters. (Another strength is James Callis playing an insufferable asshole, but that does get a little old.) I was a Lee/Kara shipper almost as soon as I saw them together in the miniseries. So I watched Friday's ep unfold with a mixture of fascination and serious discomfort. I want Kara and Lee together... and I'm convinced their relationship is toxic, and will likely lead to Bad Things in the near future.

Yup. As long as they keep making our heroes miserable, I'll keep watching.

PS: did anyone else feel that Adama's "I'm not going to win" didn't bode well for Galactica's long-term mission?

I personally found this week's episode to only be so-so. I'm glad they went back and showed us more stuff from the time on New Caprica. What they showed in this episode explains what caused the rift between Lee and Kara that we saw at the end of season two in the jump forward when she needed medicine for Anders' pneumonia, so that was good. But I very quickly grew tired of watching characters boxing for so much of the episode. While the revelations were character-significant, as the episode went on the footage of boxing felt more and more like filler. I'm definitely not a Lee/Kara shipper; they've always felt too brotherly-sisterly to me, so them together feels somewhere between uncomfortable and cringe-inducing. I just start getting bored when it seems that nearly every show ends up deciding to throw the most main opposite sex characters at each other in sexual situations in order to drag some form of character conflict into the story. I grow tired of seeing the most prominent male character and most prominent female character (of similar ages) eventually end up together in one way or another. It makes it too formulaic and expected.

While the character developments were .. well-done .. I did find the enormous amounts of boxing .. tiring. Yeah, it's their way of dealing with anger, bla bla bla. Right. To me, it was just a bunch of guys beating eachother up - as boxing generally is. And it did, indeed, make little sense that Starbuck was a match for Apollo.

And is there NOONE on Galactica that isn't interested in boxing? I guess it really is the military.

As for Starbuck and Apollo .. yeah, it all made sense. But it also made the point I've believed in for a long time - they're truely pathetic. Both of them. :D

kosh fan, just off of adama's statement i get really bad vibes, but personally loved the episode, the boxing was a little overdone, but remember it was all about purging. i don't think roslin and adama was tired though, it was certainly expected but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, for example i expect to buy a PS3 when they are released in Europe, is that a bad thing? and i definitely think someone got some presidential pussy on new caprica.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back