• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Series Admission?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Just to add more confusion to the mix... if you check out the scifi b5rangers site Myriam Sirois has a credit "B5: To live and Die in Starlight" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so confusing. "To Live and Die in Starlight" IS the title of the movie.

Legend of the Rangers is the title of the SERIES of which the movie is, essentially, Episode 001.

The first _Regular_ episode would then be Episode 101 with the inital digit designating the first season.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
No mistake. The overall title for the project is Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers. The TV movie is a pilot, in effect a two-hour sample episode, just like The Emissary was a two hour pilot for a series called Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Encounter at Farpoint was a two-hour pilot for a series called Star Trek: The Next Generation. (For that matter when the original B5 pilot aired it was simply called Babylon 5<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the clarification, Joe.

The thing that confused me was that A Call to Arms was a B5 movie, and therefore carried the title of B5. However, the following series (Crusade) did not carry the title of B5.

I assumed that LotR was going to follow the same format = B5 movie, non-B5 series.

It appears I was wrong!

------------------
Be seeing you

Joe:

You'd proably know this. I could swear the original working title of Crusade was
The Babylon Project: Crusade (or maybe Crusade: the Babylon Project).

Am I mistaken?

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taichidave:
I could swear the original working title of Crusade was
The Babylon Project: Crusade
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it was, but somehow that was never shown when it aired. Even on the video's I have they only say "from the creator of Babylon 5"

Maybe TNT was affraid to relate it too much to B5 because of the bad Season 5 ratings.
crazy.gif

------------------
"I don't watch TV. It’s a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media-elite."

At various times during the development period Crusade was listed as both Crusade: The Babylon Project and The Babylon Project: Crusade.

TNT actually did distance Crusade from B5, removing all references to Sheridan from "their" first episode, chopping the title down to just Crusade and pushing for Lochley, a character introduced during "their" season, to be the only carry-over character among the regulars.

TNT takes the typical Hollywood view that the audience is stupid. (Given the some of the stuff that gets big ratings, they may have a point.
smile.gif
) They thought they would lose more people by tying the sequel to the original (because folks would think that they had to watch all five years of B5 before they could watch or understand Crusade) than they would gain from name recognition. (They figured the hard core B5 fans would know it was a sequel anyway.)

JMS had to fight this kind of mind-set in getting B5 on the air. Nobody thought that the audience would be able to follow a continuing story. (As though millions of people didn't do exactly that watching soap operas every day, and as if shows like Hill Street Blues and Wiseguy had never existed.)

I think JMS tried to make a virtue of necessity, and tried even harder from his own point of view to give Crusade an identity separate from B5. Obviously neither he nor Sci-Fi see this as an issue with Rangers.

The credit for TLaDiS probably comes from the actor's own resume. Usually when they do press releases like this they'll either ask the cast for information or hit the IMDB. Then they select the bits they want to use and write the release. Whoever actually wrote this thing probably knows nothing about the show. So when the actor listed TLaDiS - which is probably what is on the cover of her script along with the series name and/or logo - the copywriter had no idea it was the same project and just put it in the piece.

By the way, the bulk of what is on the page came straight out of the original Sci-Fi Channel press release that announced the movie back in March - including the part about its being a "pilot for a potential series."

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> TNT takes the typical Hollywood view that the audience is stupid. (Given the some of the stuff that gets big ratings, they may have a point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you mean Wrasslin' and BoobWatch??

Or is that ButtWatch??
shocked.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Just one more question:

As TLaDiS is the pilot episode to the series, does that make the movie's full title:

Babylon 5 : The Legend of the Rangers : To Live and Die in Starlight

?

Phew!

------------------
Be seeing you

jms has stated that the new movie will be a B5 movie, with the subtitle "To Live and Die in Starlight" and the series will be called "Legend of the Rangers".

However, the promo clearly states "Babylon 5 - Legend of the Rangers".

Is this a reference to the series (as well as the movie?) If not, it's the same as referring to the B5 movie "A Call to Arms" as "Babylon 5 - Crusade" - ie, a mistake.

------------------
Be seeing you

No mistake. The overall title for the project is Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers. The TV movie is a pilot, in effect a two-hour sample episode, just like The Emissary was a two hour pilot for a series called Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Encounter at Farpoint was a two-hour pilot for a series called Star Trek: The Next Generation. (For that matter when the original B5 pilot aired it was simply called Babylon 5.)

The title of the two hour sample episode for Rangers is To Live and Die in Starlight. But the title of the proposed series remains the title of the proposed series. The fact that this is what Sci-Fi is using to promote it doesn't tell us anything about the status of the show.

JMS and Sci-Fi have generally referred to both the movie and the proposed series as Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers, certainly in all the official press releases and the like. JMS only shortens in it casual communications. And JMS drew a distinction between Rangers, which he called "a B5 project based on B5's ratings", and Crusade, which he considered its own project. (This when answering a fan's question about whether Rangers meant SFC was no longer interested in Crusade)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited June 15, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bester:
Babylon 5 : The Legend of the Rangers : To Live and Die in Starlight
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice, short, memorable and to the point.
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

I guess, the title of the new movie may change. It's too unmemorable
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What, you mean Wrasslin' and BoobWatch??

Or is that ButtWatch??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it all depends on your point of view!
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
I guess, the title of the new movie may change. It's too unmemorable
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope it does change!

I think they should drop the "Babylon 5" and shorten the series title to just "Rangers".

"Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight" sounds like a much more workable title for the movie.

The 3 series would then be known as:
1. Babylon 5
2. Crusade
3. Rangers

Muuuuuuuuch better!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Be seeing you

We haven't been told where the Rangers will be stationed. They have to have a headquarters somewhere and it would probably be in Toozanor(sp) where Ranger 1 is living. However, it could also be on Babylon 5.
crazy.gif
If B5 is in the title one would suppose they would call there from time to time and maybe run into our old friend Lochley
frown.gif
Let's hope it goes to series so we can find out the answer to all these questions
crazy.gif

------------------

I somehow don't think that the HQ of the Rangers could be on B5. They were on Minbar before (all the learning centres/recruiting offices), and with the headquarters of the ISA being in Tuzenor now, it would make sense to have the Rangers HQ there as well.

Of course, an occasional visit by any Ranger to B5 is possible, but I doubt that. Still, I won't rule out anything... and I *do* hope that a series will follow!
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited June 16, 2001).]

JMS seems to have no problems with long titles. After all 'And the Rock Cried Out, No Hidding Place' has a word or two in it.

------------------
Bus
"Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and increadibly foul mouth." Kent Brockman

As I recall, Marcus came from a Ranger facility that was not on Minbar in the ep Matters of Honor. It's a good strategy not to put all your eggs in one basket, a lesson the Minbari learned at the end of the prior shadow war.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

The title Legend of the Rangers seems to imply some sort of Legend. In my mind, a legend is something important that happened a long, long time ago, not contemporary people mopping up after the most recent great war. Has anyone heard any speculation about possible flashbacks to the creation of the Rangers 1000 years ago? That sounds like more of a legend to me, even it would be inconvenient to dress everybody up in Minbari headgear.

------------------
Peace be with you

The whole B5 saga has always been treated as a history told from the perspective of the future, rather like The Forsyte Saga or a series about the American Civil War would be for us. Even the fourth season narration is not intended to be the words of the individual characters but "the voice of history."

When people today retell the Legend of King Arthur and the Round table the narrative is always contemporary. The people don't know their actions are going to become the stuff of legend. To Gawain and the others their actions are merely their way of dealing with present circumstances.

The series will be about things that the Rangers do that will make them a legend to future generations. It is certainly not going to be about the early days of the group, not even in substantial flashbacks. (If it were, there would be regular characters from the past time period. The rare show like Kung Fu that actually incorporated flashbacks in every episode had regulars who appeared only in the flashbacks. There is no hint that JMS is thinking along these lines.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back