• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

yeah but as i watch B5 i general and BSG i have seen enough to make me believe that B5 is the spiritual ancestor of BSG, they are both sci-fi that deals heavily in prophecy, an epic war in which the enemy aren't evil but more a shade of grey (the shadows promote advancement through warfare, ultimately a far more efficient method than the vorlons choice), the ships look really cool, the characters are human and thus make mistakes (i mean human personality or course), they have the coolest space battle including movies, they are both more about human interactions within thier respective situations rather than being about the situations themselves (very rare in sci-fi), the list goes on and on and if you search through sci-fi shows you'd be hardpressed to find another show with as many similarities.

I think Leoben totally and completely manipulating and coercing what he wanted out of Starbuck

And what the hell did he want, anyway? For her to "love" him? Why, just to fuck with her?

That whole story just did nothing for me. I wasn't surprised that the "daughter" wasn't hers since we know that guy is a full-time professional liar, but I just figured he'd do that stuff for some benefit to his people.

It just feels like they came up with all this story for everyone else and at the last minute realised they forgot Starbuck so they whipped this up for her.

Everything else was awesome. Tigh HAD to kill his wife because, as Starbuck's hubby told him, if he won't, someone else will. And they'd probably lynch her. Also, before he found out about his wife, he was sending out suicide bombers and being the ultra-tough guy that preached putting aside ethics for the benefit of survival. His wife's betrayal was the moment where he had to walk the walk.

Tigh has become, by far, the most intereting charcter on the show to me. He's the kind of person right-wing politicians and politically-minded spotlight hogging generals pretend to be but aren't, wereas the real Col Tighs are insular and shut-out of public life.

Speaking of Colonel Tigh, :( did you see Adama's face when his friend stepped off that transport...in that condition...and that he needed help? It was too sad... :(

GKE - Good points about the Tigh thing. Didn't look at it that way, and forgot the comments about if he didn't, someone else would.

Boxie - Yea that was a great scene.

And what the hell did he want, anyway? For her to "love" him? Why, just to fuck with her?

Well, several of the Cylons seem obsessed with love and the fact that they don't exactly experience it (see Caprica Six's statement about that copy of D'Anna having not experienced love used as an insult earlier this season). I view Leoben's manipulation to get Starbuck to say it as a manifestation of him, like the other Cylons, seeking love, but because he doesn't have a clue what love really is, he perverted the reasoning behind why Starbuck said it just to get her to say it thinking it's not far off from really being love, though of course it wasn't close (at least for him, Starbuck did say it, though not mean it, out of a love for Casey).

Well, several of the Cylons seem obsessed with love

Did anyone see the "recap" show prior to the new season starting? I remember thinking I missed a major point along the way... The narrator, Roslyn, said "love" was one of the things the Cylons felt they HAD to achieve, as if it specifically was part of their mission...??

I'll have to play it back and try to get you a quote... :D Let's see how far off I am!! :D :eek: This could be embarrassing!

I remember from back in season one, there was a scene in one episode back on Caprica where Doral was walking down the street with a Six and he was they were talking about Sharon and Helo, and the look on Six's face was an excellent piece of acting, I thought, because her face portrayed how deeply troubled she felt over having never experienced love and the worry that Sharon would with Helo. The pursuit of love has definitely been a major thing, at least for some of the Cylons.

Also, in the last few episodes they have been having that almost Scottish background score in the show, which I think was very well done and added a lot of emotion to certain scenes on the ships. Did anyone else here think back to B5:In The Begining with Londos speech about the humans last part of the Earth Minbari War? Clearly it wasn't the same score, and wasn't a "rip off" of it, but both seemed to have that Scottish feel and both worked very well for where they were used.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like it a lot.

With the exception of the first episodes with the Pegasus, they've always used a score with a celtic hint to it.

I hope that doesn't mean it will be leaving us now that the Pegasus is gone.

I thought it was a great moment when Galactica was falling through the atmosphere of New Caprica before jumping out. Not your typical sci fi battle tactic, eh?

This is the part I didn't really get. They jumped out of the atmosphere and then not long after jumped away again. We saw early on that it takes a while in between jumps, 33 minutes is a number I believe we were given at one point with a perfectly healthy ship and a full crew. Now they're on a skeleton crew with a ship that's damaged to hell and they can do it faster?

The whole space battle was great action, but just kind of ruined continuity for me. So we've got the cylons who destroyed nearly all of humanity's fleet with a numbers advantage against two "out of date" battlestars. Three cylon basestars pound on galactica for 2 minutes just bombarding it with missles and it stays afloat (with its jump engines coming on soon after no less) while the supposedly inferior pegasus takes out an entire basestar with its first barrage on its way to destroying all four basestars?

And why were there only 4 basestars? With jump technology couldn't they have pretty much sent the entire cylon fleet after the humans with them down to their last two ships? I guess the idea is that there's a distance limit but towards the end of season 2 Starbuck jumps all the way back to Caprica from Kobol (so far out they've never even been there before) all in one jump.

And on the ground all the cylons are just....not there. In this episode and the second (with the centurions trying to execute the 200 people at the beginning) they never show any centurions getting killed. How exactly to bullets kill those things anyway? The only time we've ever seen them gone is when they were blown away by a raptor missle, yet in these last few eps they just mysteriously go MIA anytime there's a big fight. With all the resources the cylons have and all that's left of their enemy confined to one place they have only a few centurions on the ground?

Still love the show and loved the ep of course, but it seems these types of things always get overlooked in sci-fi shows.

Tigh has become, by far, the most intereting charcter on the show to me.

Agree, Tigh has always been the character I was most interested in and that position only solidified itself tonight.

Speaking of Colonel Tigh, did you see Adama's face when his friend stepped off that transport...in that condition...and that he needed help? It was too sad...

That whole last scene with Adama being hoisted up and looking back at Tigh, and then showing the expressions on Tigh and Starbuck for a good long while was a great scene. Perfect music and mood, perfect execution by the actors. It really has Tigh set-up for some major screentime in the future and perhaps another big play in things.

i always thought ellen was a cylon, but to bring her back now would cheapen the death scene beyond belief.

Agree, but I still think it will happen. The meeting she gave the map for ended up being too small an event with too little screen-time for that to be the way they got rid of a character that they built up so much for over 2 years, although they could've just been using her as a tool to develope Tigh's character the whole time.

...33 minutes is a number I believe we were given at one point with a perfectly healthy ship and a full crew.

33 minutes was the number of minutes between Cylon attacks on the fleet in the first episode of season one; I don't remember it being a number having to do with recharging FTL engines.

...against two "out of date" battlestars.

The way the Pegasus looked to me, it was a much more modern ship. It might not have been made yesterday, so might not have been the utmost top of the line ship the colonies had in their fleet, but it wasn't out of date like the Galactica was either.

...How exactly to bullets kill those things anyway? The only time we've ever seen them gone is when they were blown away by a raptor missle....

We saw centurions being killed by a particular type of handgun ammunition on board Galactica in season two's "Valley of Darkness" (the second episode of the season).

I don't recall it taking 33 minutes to jump, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 33 min for the entire colonial fleet to get their coordinates set (i.e. the first episode of season 1, I remember the 33.)

Not sure. Anyone else know?

And I agree wholeheartedly with GKE.... Tigh is just an awesome character---so flawed. When he was walking away while Adama was being hoisted into the air, it just about broke my heart.

I thought the Cylons just showed up every thirty-three minutes.... and while it did take time for the jumps to be calculated and that information given out at the last possible moment so the ships being tracked couldn't be tracked, and some ships took longer than others to get ready to jump... :( that's all the time they had. :D Now I have to go back and watch that one, too! Oh well...I don't mind a bit! :)

Back to the "love thing" for a minute, I found the quote from the re-cap show:

Rosalyn said, " The Cylons, though indistinguishable from humans, had one flaw - they could not have children. They believe that perhaps love is the missing element and so they used Helo as part of an experiment hoping to use his love for Sharon to create a hybrid child."

The interesting thing here is she said, "believe"...not past tense. Is it possible, given Sharon did have a child with Helo, that they STILL believe this....??

it's always possible that it's a fact, really we don't know jack about any of this, the show has a deeply religious aspect to it, maybe that is one aspect of the cylon religion, remembering that all the prisoners of the various breeding farms never created a single child.

all the prisoners of the various breeding farms never created a single child.

We don't really know that.

It would be really stupid if "love" is required to breed a hybrid child, since all breeding is purely a product of biology.

it could all be psychological, plus although we don't know the farms never produced a child for a fact, it would negate hera's importance.

The whole space battle was great action, but just kind of ruined continuity for me. So we've got the cylons who destroyed nearly all of humanity's fleet with a numbers advantage against two "out of date" battlestars. Three cylon basestars pound on galactica for 2 minutes just bombarding it with missles and it stays afloat (with its jump engines coming on soon after no less) while the supposedly inferior pegasus takes out an entire basestar with its first barrage on its way to destroying all four basestars?

I seem to remember the reason the Earth fleet fell was due to the virus/shutting down defenses Six set up. Hence why the old ship survived ... they where not networked with the rest of the fleet. And why the fleet fell so easily from the Cyclon attack.

And why were there only 4 basestars? With jump technology couldn't they have pretty much sent the entire cylon fleet after the humans with them down to their last two ships? I guess the idea is that there's a distance limit but towards the end of season 2 Starbuck jumps all the way back to Caprica from Kobol (so far out they've never even been there before) all in one jump.

Didn't it take multiple jumps to reach earth? Didn't they have to plot out 8 jumps or something like that to mount the rescue operation of earth survivors during season two?

Now I feel a bit geekish, recalling all these small details from the previous seasons ;)

S.

Well, he was VP to Baltar wasn't he? In the last episode of Season 2.5, we never saw Zerrick after the year had passed and Baltar was drunk and covered w/colonial hookers. Zerrick was nowhere to be found.

In the first episode of S3, Zerrick was one of the people who was detained and was to be executed. So, that tells me he pissed Baltar off... or pissed the cylons off... or simply wouldn't cooperate. Unless he was dismissed by Baltar (not sure the president can do that--even one as slimy as Baltar who abused his office,) then Zerrick still is VP and thus technically President unless something broke down politically that we have yet to see.

Since he made the comment to Roslyn that he wishes she had stolen the election, I guess I consider that an encouraging remark insofar as Roslyn assuming the presidency again. Perhaps he will stay on as VP. I'm not sure. They will probably explain it more in the next episode, but they have been known to gloss over details like this in the past.

As for the old battlestars standing up against Cylon baseships and so forth, well.. that's what they were built for. =) A tank is pretty formidible, even if it's old. It's still pretty damn tough. I loved seeing Pegasus in battle w/o viper deployment. We finally got to see what a battlestar was capable of.

Speaking of glossing over, Admiral Cain didn't really explain (to my satisfaction at least) how the Pegasus managed to survive the initial attack. Maybe I just need to go back and rewatch.

Also, a few observations/questions:

1. In the miniseries, was it ever established who sent Adama the memo: There are only 12 cylon models? I watched the miniseries again earlier today and he picks up the memo after Laura Roslyn leaves, looks at it, then goes to either open the door or lock it. So, I'm wondering if Roslyn got the memo first and then gave it to Adama. Or, if Baltar left the memo (6 tells him in the miniseries that there are 12 cylon models, she's #6.) Or, maybe Boomer left it during a spell of cylon-sleeper action. Who knows. I've always wondered that.

2. Starbuck and Anders seem to have matching tattoos. I need to get a screenshot, but it looks like wings of some kind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back