• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest Speculation thread

Look, here is something that people aren't noticing yet. The Film Jerk article (which could totally be made up or false rumors, but who knows) only said that Galen was re-cast. There could be a number of reasons for that (if its true and hes even in the movie in the first place) including schedule conflicts. They did say that Tracey Scoggins was going to be in it...so if she isn't why wouldn't other characters be in as well.

Oh, I'm not suggesting they wouldn't be. But it does say "new lead character Colonel Joss Morgan", and doesn't mention any characters from the original B5 series except Lochley. If those three paragraphs are describing the main plot of TMoS, then it at least sounds like new characters are going to be front and center, with the original characters having more of a supporting role.

Frankly, Im a bit skeptical on the film jerk article anyway, but Im just saying...

I'm incredibly skeptical on the Film Jerk article. It's just that it got me to thinking....many of us had been assuming that TMoS would be about the Telepath War, simply because JMS had gone to such great lengths in the past to "write around" the events of the Telepath War. The TW also provides the possibility of including virtually everyone in the original cast. But now with these new rumors about Diane Baker and Joss Morgan, I'm just wondering: Might it not be about the TW even though that might have been JMS's first choice? And might the reason be that WB wasn't interested in a story that centered on the original characters?

I know all about the recasting issue. But this is a separate question. Would JMS center the film around other *characters*, or is he absolutely committed to using the original *characters*?

From everything I've read, he's always seen the eventual theatrical release as a reward for the actors who stuck with him through the series.

That said, I doubt if JMS ever promised all of them that they'd have parts in a theatrical movie. That would depend completely on the story. We *know* that the script was written and then revised after Rick's death and at least once after that.

As for centering the film around other, new, characters. Keeping in mind that this film needs to draw in new fans who won't have encyclopedic knowledge of the B5 universe, I wouldn't be surprised. There's bound to be a fair amount of exposition needed and it'd be less awkward to do it while updating a new person on the scene. I don't *think* he'd ever want to do a film with none of the original characters.

Jan

Heck, when there were talked about a Stargate SG1 movie being made...people asked if it would have the Series Cast or the cast of the original movie...and there was an overwhelming reply saying that the SG1 Series cast would have a shot at the bigscreen, not the original cast.

Why does everything have to be different in B5...

*sigh*

Okay, all of the recasting fiasco aside...who is this Amy Lawrence of FilmJerk, and where did her information come from? This Joss Morgan character isn't mentioned in ANY of the other leaked or blind items. And she even seems to know that Lochley and new character Diane Baker are friends. Is this a legitimate item? Does she often break film items that other outlets don't? Does she have any credibility whatsoever, does anybody know?

Thanks,

Amy

Frankly, Im a bit skeptical on the film jerk article anyway, but Im just saying...

Me too! It sounds too much like the Techno-Mage trilogy, and I don't think JMS would want to film something that someone else has written.

/IamS

I'm curious that it was mentioned first item on scifi.com's main news page. scifi is a widely read, officially sanctioned media outlet affialiated with the station/corporation.Seems like stepping on the toes of a competitor since WB hasn't officially announced TMOS.

I'm curious that it was mentioned first item on scifi.com's main news page. scifi is a widely read, officially sanctioned media outlet affialiated with the station/corporation.Seems like stepping on the toes of a competitor since WB hasn't officially announced TMOS.

Huh? What are you refering to? Are you saying that the Film Jerk article is up on Sci Fi Wire? I don't see it there.

I can say I would rather have a story dealing with the Crusade arc than the Telepath War I think. But I also believe it would be a LOT harder to have a quality movie surrounding Crusade (supposed to be a 5 year arc) than it would a single instance like the Telepath War.

But the actors are not getting any younger, that's the main problem. If you are gonna wait any longer to tell the telepath war, I won't blame WB if they recast.

Why do actors always have to be so young? I thought the Baby Boomers were supposed to be such a huge generation! Why can't they make some films for *us*? I am so bored by the younger actors of today. They have no depth. They are boring. I wish the studios would make more films for people like me. B5: TMoS would definitely be a film for me, with the original cast of course! :D

Tammy

Why do actors always have to be so young?

Because our society has an obsession with youth?
Because the younger male audience members are more likely to spend their money where the advertisers want them to than older folks?

Why do actors always have to be so young?

Because our society has an obsession with youth?
Because the younger male audience members are more likely to spend their money where the advertisers want them to than older folks?

Films like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (sorry, series, not films, but series of films) show that a combo seems to work quite well.

I just thought I'd mention that. :)

A 29 year old marine colonel is a little young. Fast promotion normally means that the people above you got killed. He is too young for the Earth-Minbari war. Sheridan fought a space war so not many marines will have been killed in the civil war. Clarke's military build up may have taken him to full lieutenant but beyond that he need a full promotion every 2 years. That is not easy in a downsizing peacetime army.

Fast promotion normally means that the people above you got killed.

Well, it would likely mean a lot of attrition above you. That doesn't necessarily mean that they were KIA (though that is most common).

How many slots were created when first Clarke's Night Watch lead purges decimated the ranks, and then the counter-purges of Clarke loyalists / officers who enacted criminal orders happened after the Civil War?

I don't think all of Clark's loyalists were purged. I think throughout EarthForce there was a lot of "let's pretend the rule of Clark never happened" and people tried to move on.

True, but those who had been forced to make a decision, and decided wrong, were purged. But they didn't get rid of all the "potential" war criminals.

Given the Hollywood North Report story, as well as the My Entertainment World casting call that Channe linked to in the "news only" thread, I now think this whole Diane Baker / Joss Morgan story first floated by Film Jerk is almost certainly accurate. Just wondering though, does anyone disagree? Anyone still thinking that the Film Jerk plot might be B.S.?

I also wonder if this means that an official announcement is imminent. How much longer can WB continue to deny that this movie exists?

Oh, and one more thing. I agree with someone who, on the jmsnews site, suggested that the "diplomatic conference" refered to in the HNR article is going to be the plot device used to explain the appearances by many of the old characters. Who might attend a "diplomatic conference" on B5? Sheridan, Delenn, Londo...

And if the new characters do turn up Shadow technology, and it's part of EarthGov, who will they turn to? Why, the folks who beat the Shadowtech-armed government last time....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back