• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Movie Ratings

D

**DONOTDELETE**

On Monday, "Thirdspace" got a 0.5 coverage household rating, a drop-off of 1/3rd the rating of its lead-in.

On Tuesday, "River of Souls" got a 0.4, a decline of 60% from its lead-in.

Yes, it seems that I can block out the Sci-Fi channel soon. They are likely to stop showing B5 since it is in it's umpteenth set of repeats. It is only natural the ratings will slide. Especially for these two tv-movies. I think they are not the best of what B5 has to offer.

Then it's off to horror land for Sci-Fi. And I'll probably never watch them again if the next Dune installment isn't better than the first one was. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Bye-bye, Sci-Fi. Hope you don't need people like myself in your demographics.

Thirdspace and River of Souls are more like long episodes than movies. Very good episodes, of course, especially Thirdspace.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by SavantB5: </font color>
On Monday, "Thirdspace" got a 0.5 coverage household rating, a drop-off of 1/3rd the rating of its lead-in.

On Tuesday, "River of Souls" got a 0.4, a decline of 60% from its lead-in.

[/quote]

In that case, I'd expect TLaDiS to get a 0.2 or so. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif How did John Edward do after the three B5 movies?

At any rate, there were the three worst B5 movies. "A Call to Arms" and "In the Beginning" were FAR, FAR better.

It'll be interesting to see how Crusade does at 5PM in October.

And was I in a coma? Or were there still NO promos for the soon to be released season 1 DVD? What the frel is with that????? /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

1) The DVDs aren't "soon to be released" They're being released nearly two months from now. You don't advertise a DVD two months before the release date. Two weeks would be more like it. Even more likely would be waiting until it is actually in the stores.

2) Apart from major theatrical releases, DVDs (like books) are rarely advertised on television. (The A&E video and DVD sets - which they produce and sell themselves - don't count.) TV ads are expensive to produce and expensive to run. It doesn't make sense to spend the money on a title unless you're already sure the profits are going to be high enough to cover the additional promotional costs, and likely to add more sales on top of that. B5, especially with its recent ratings and Warner Bros. uncertainty about how well the episodes will do, almost certainly doesn't qualify for this kind of extraordinary treatment. Blade II or Fellowship of the Ring, yes. B5 S1, no.

Even the Warner Bros. B5 DVD Launch Page does not mention television advertising under "Marketing Support". But they do list substantial on-line and print advertising - which we can expect to see when the discs are a lot closer to showing up in the stores.

Regards,

Joe

In the UK I have seen Babylon 5 VHS cassettes advertised on the Woolworths department store TV adverts. A crafty way of getting someone else to pay for the adverts.

I still don't see how they could expect to sell any discs at all if they wait almost on top of the when the release date is given most people aren't going to say oh B5 's coming out on dvd let's go and get it. I wouldn't 70 bucks or so is alot of money to blow on one set and I would think some people would need to think about whether they want to spend that kind of money.

I still don't see how they could expect to sell any discs at all if they wait almost on top of the when the release date is

[/quote]

The purpose of a TV ad for most things is to put the product in the mind of the consumer, so that next time he/she is in the store, the ad is remembered and a purchase is made. Do that when the product isn't in the store, and you risk ticking people off. TV ads for movies are different, because people tend to plan going out to the movies a bit in advance, and the majority of ticket sales still happen Friday through Saturday (even though most movies open on Wednesdays.) So it makes sense to get people thinking about them a little in advance.

While it is the case that most DVDs will sell the majority of their copies during the week and month of their first release, they do continue to sell. It isn't like the discs are going to be pulled off the shelves in two weeks. So people who need more time to make up their minds will have plenty of it.

Again, this is how DVD advertising is normally handled, and it seems to be working since DVDs have been outselling VHS tapes for awhile now (despite there being many times as many VCRs as DVD players out there.)

Regards,

Joe

"Legend of the Rangers" did a 0.6. Its lead-in, that "Beyond Belief" show did a 1.4.

That show has been doing okay in the ratings, but I had never seen it that high.

Maybe more people tuned in than normal to escape the "9/11" coverage and then went looking for something else when the Rangers movie came on.

John Edward isn't getting very high ratings on SciFi anymore.

I don't watch it, but I believe there has been a "flip-flop" in how they do it. It used to appear on SciFi first and then in syndication. Now syndication is getting the "first broadcast" rights and SciFi's telecasts are the second. John Edward did a 0.5 and 0.4 at 11 and 11:30.

BTW, B5 itself did a 0.4.

"Legend of the Rangers" did a 0.6. Its lead-in, that "Beyond Belief" show did a 1.4.

[/quote] TLaDiS did a 0.6? Well, it has been shown a lot fewer times than Thirdspace and TRoS.

That show has been doing okay in the ratings, but I had never seen it that high.

Maybe more people tuned in than normal to escape the "9/11" coverage and then went looking for something else when the Rangers movie came on.

[/quote]
I'd bet that most people would tune out during the minefield scene/scream fit.

John Edward isn't getting very high ratings on SciFi anymore.

[/quote]
Well, there's one good thing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BTW, B5 itself did a 0.4.

[/quote]
Not surprising, given how many times it's been shown.

From The Zocolo Today, which I just received from Sandy Bruckner in the email:

RATINGS: Top 10 SCIFI Shows: Stargate SG-1 1.9; Tremors 3 1.8;
Pythons 2 1.3; The Dead Zone 1.1; They Nest 1.1; Tremors 2 1.1;
Farscape 1.1; Beyond Belief 1.0; Komodo 0.9, and Hideous 0.8. Source:
Nielsen Galaxy Report, 8/12/02 - 8/18/02.

Hideous got a 0.8 ??? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
There is no justice.

RATINGS: Top 10 SCIFI Shows: Stargate SG-1 1.9; Tremors 3 1.8;
Pythons 2 1.3; The Dead Zone 1.1; They Nest 1.1; Tremors 2 1.1;
Farscape 1.1; Beyond Belief 1.0; Komodo 0.9, and Hideous 0.8. Source:
Nielsen Galaxy Report, 8/12/02 - 8/18/02.

[/quote]

Wow...10 reasons, well atleast 8 reasons PBS is lookin' good!

Back