• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question about the Commodore Amiga computer's use in Babylon 5 ?

Found_In_Space

In the Commodore retrocomputing scene, the Amiga is often credited with providing the visual effects for Babylon 5. But some sources indicate that the Amiga was only ever used in the 1993 pilot for Babylon 5, and that for the five seasons of the actual TV series, other computers were used - i.e. PC, DEC Alpha, and Macintosh.

Does anyone know for certain if Amigas were only used for the pilot? Were Amigas used at all during the five seasons of the TV series?

I tried to join the Foundation Imaging Facebook group to ask, but they're not letting me in.

Thanks.

In the Commodore retrocomputing scene, the Amiga is often credited with providing the visual effects for Babylon 5. But some sources indicate that the Amiga was only ever used in the 1993 pilot for Babylon 5, and that for the five seasons of the actual TV series, other computers were used - i.e. PC, DEC Alpha, and Macintosh.

Does anyone know for certain if Amigas were only used for the pilot? Were Amigas used at all during the five seasons of the TV series?

I tried to join the Foundation Imaging Facebook group to ask, but they're not letting me in.

Thanks.
The person to ask would be the gentleman that ran the B5 Scrolls website, he interviewed a lot of the animators for his website b5scrolls.com. You can reach out to him on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls/.

Hope that helps!

Thanks.
In this post JMS mentions they were used for the first season, too.
We were the prisoners to the tech that was available to us at the time (for the
first season we were using home Amigas, no less).
But it would be better to ask somebody who worked on them, I'm sure.

In this post JMS mentions they were used for the first season, too.

But it would be better to ask somebody who worked on them, I'm sure.

Thanks for that link!

It jives with what I just recently read in the book The Future Was Here: The Commodore Amiga by Jimmy Maher. In the book, it says that Amigas were used up until the summer of 1995, so that would mean it was used for the entirety of the first season.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back