• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Members of the Interstellar Alliance

Springer

Regular
While re-watching The Road Home the other day, I noticed that the ISN newsreader said that there were 12 members of the ISA. I set about wondering if I could name them all:

Earth
Minbar
Narn
Drazi
Brakiri
Hyach
Pak'ma'ra
Gaim
Vree

Who are the other three members? By this point in the show the Centauri had pulled out of the Alliance. Mars might be a member if they've ratified their independence? We haven't seen the Llort or the Grome since early in the show but I suppose they might be in the ISA. Am I missing anyone obvious?

This site lists more then 12. In addition to your nine they also list:

Abbai, the "mohawk race" from the episode where Sinclair infiltrates the terrorist group. This would be the best known of the "unknown races".
Balosian, I don't recall them. Maybe a one-off from The Gathering?
Cascor, never heard of them before
Iksha, seen once in the Deathwalker episode, blink and you'll miss it
Llort, seen from time to time, but not much talked about
Markab, but they are still pretty much extinct during "the road home".
Onteen are listed on this site, but I don't think they are part of the council / alliance. It's the race with the dying child where Franklin overstepped his boundaries. Maybe they joined the council / alliance after this?
Yolu, I think the only known Yolu is the guy announcing fights at the Mutai. Not much else really.

In addition to this list I might add the Enphili (spelling?). The race that requested protection from the alliance against the Drazi. They indicated they wanted to join, but I am not sure if at this stage they already have.

edited to add link:

This site lists more then 12. In addition to your nine they also list:

Abbai, the "mohawk race" from the episode where Sinclair infiltrates the terrorist group. This would be the best known of the "unknown races".
Balosian, I don't recall them. Maybe a one-off from The Gathering?
Cascor, never heard of them before
Iksha, seen once in the Deathwalker episode, blink and you'll miss it
Llort, seen from time to time, but not much talked about
Markab, but they are still pretty much extinct during "the road home".
Onteen are listed on this site, but I don't think they are part of the council / alliance. It's the race with the dying child where Franklin overstepped his boundaries. Maybe they joined the council / alliance after this?
Yolu, I think the only known Yolu is the guy announcing fights at the Mutai. Not much else really.

In addition to this list I might add the Enphili (spelling?). The race that requested protection from the alliance against the Drazi. They indicated they wanted to join, but I am not sure if at this stage they already have.

edited to add link:
They're all members of the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, but given that TRH says there's only 12 members of the Alliance, it seems some joined and some haven't (yet). I liked the Iksha's spacecraft and it was a shame we didn't see them again. And yes the Abbai, that was the race where Robin Curtis played the ambassador in Deathwalker. They seemed to have a lot of clout in the League, maybe they joined too. I just wondered if there was an official list of Alliance members.

The same site has which are just in the interstellar alliance.
Then another link on the site to those that are in the League of Non-Aligned Worlds.
The ISN newsreader in The Road Home definitely describes it as a "12-world alliance". The B5 wiki lists more than 12 worlds, and to be honest I don't know how trustworthy the wiki is (I'm pretty sure the Enphili were not in the alliance, for example) . The B5 Encyclopedia doesn't list the member states. I presume when JMS wrote that line in TRH he had 12 worlds in mind, I just wondered if there was a list that is considered canon.

And lest we forget..... Looney says that TRH is in an alternate timeline - all of it. Now I just need JMS onboard with my thinking. It is a good way to explain away issues like the Digital Likeness problem. ;)

"12-world" seems... small. Especially considering the Earth Alliance alone had at least three inhabited planets at the beginning of the show (Earth, Mars, and Proxima 3).

"12-species and some of them are pretty big" seems more legit.

Which suddenly makes me wonder if any of the various governments we saw represented ever had more than one race under them. Voluntarily, that is -- I wouldn't count when the Centauri ruled Narn, for instance. Were there any genuine cross-species governments before the Alliance?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back