• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Jeremiah" Press Release from MGM

B5LR

Regular
\"Jeremiah\" Press Release from MGM

<font size="+1">"Jeremiah" Press Release from MGM</font>
<font size="3">Cast, production and story details</font>

MGM has issued an official press release about JMS's upcoming Showtime series, "Jeremiah" The relevant portions follow:

New MGM Sci-Fi Series JEREMIAH Coming to SHOWTIME in 2002; Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner to Star
SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--July 27, 2001-- Showtime Networks has greenlit its latest series from MGM, a new Sci-Fi series, JEREMIAH, starring Luke Perry ("Beverly Hills, 90210") and Malcolm-Jamal Warner ("Malcolm & Eddie"), it was announced by Hank Cohen, President of MGM Television Entertainment. Created for television by sci-fi icon J. Michael Straczynski (Creator & Executive Producer of "Babylon 5"), JEREMIAH is based on Platinum Studios' award-winning graphic novel series by Belgian author Hermann Huppen.

In his long anticipated return to series television, Perry will play the lead role of Jeremiah. Warner, formerly of the critically acclaimed "Cosby Show" also makes his return to series television.

Stated Cohen, "We're thrilled to bring together such a powerful talent roster that expands our strength as a leading provider of quality Sci-Fi programming."

Based on a European comic book, whose characters have achieved cult status in the U.S and Europe, the 20-episode series is slated to debut in early 2002. JEREMIAH is being produced by Jeremiah Productions Inc. in association with Lion's Gate Television and Platinum Studios and will be distributed by MGM Worldwide Television Distribution. This new series marks a continuing partnership between MGM and SHOWTIME on such highly successful sci-fi series as "Stargate SG-1" and "The Outer Limits," as well as the much anticipated "Leap Years" which debuts on July 29th on SHOWTIME.

Straczynski will serve as showrunner and executive producer, alongside Sam Egan, who has produced and written for "The Outer Limits" and "Northern Exposure." Russell Mulcahy (SHOWTIME's "Queer As Folk") will direct the two-hour premiere. The executive producers also include Luke Perry, Joe Dante ("Small Soldiers," "Innerspace," "The Howling," "The Burbs," "Twilight Zone: The Movie"), Michael Finnell ("Teaching Mrs. Tingle," "Small Soldiers," "Twilight Zone: The Movie," ), Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, who developed the hit film "Men In Black," Ervin Rustemagic and Gregory Noveck, who are both co-producing several upcoming live-action features for Platinum Studios with Rosenberg. The creative executives for Showtime are John Vasey and Randy Runkle. For MGM the creative executive is Craig Roessler.

JEREMIAH is set in a future post-apocalyptic world where, almost a decade before, a deadly virus wiped out the world's adult population sparing only those who haven't reached puberty. Now in their 20s, the oldest survivors of the pandemic include Jeremiah and the colorful but cynical Kurdy. Jeremiah is on a personal quest to relocate a mysterious place called Valhalla, which his father claimed might hold some hope for the survivors. As Jeremiah falls into a reluctant partnership with Kurdy, both explore new areas and encounter other groups of young adults who are divided into rival social groups. In the course of the season opener, Jeremiah's smaller personal quest is redirected when he discovers a group of highly organized survivors who want to enlist him to orchestrate peace among the warring factions and to try and prevent the killer virus from returning.

MGM Television Entertainment handles television development and production for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. Its series lineup includes the forthcoming "Leap Years," slated to debut in July, "Stargate SG-1," "The Outer Limits," and "Poltergeist: The Legacy," as well as original made-for-television movies such as the upcoming "Oooph!," starring Paul Reiser, Joe Mantegna, and Christine Lahti and "In The Time Of The Butterflies," with Salma Hayek and Edward James Olmos.

I can see what JMS means about the new show having a much bigger budget than "B5." Perry and Jamal-Warner alone probably will probably cost more per week than a typical "B5" episode.
smile.gif
Sounds like the show will be interesting, which means I'll have to break down and order Showtime next year.
frown.gif

Re: \"Jeremiah\" Press Release from MGM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5LR:

Based on a European comic book, whose characters have achieved cult status in the U.S and Europe, the 20-episode series is slated to debut in early 2002
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this 20 episode's the first season? Or are they going to tell the whole story in 20eps ?

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Staring Theo Huxtable and the guy from 90210(never saw it so don't know the character name), well we'll see
crazy.gif

I thought Joe Dante wasn't involved anymore. Was that just as director meaning he retain producer status?

Calling it a twenty ep series may be a poor choice of words. It sounds like twenty eps is the whole series in that sentance but calling it a series to begin with implies to me more than that. I would guess that's only the trial order until it proves itself. Of course now that I've said that I'm waiting for DeMartino to correct me.

------------------
Bus

"How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me?"-Lisa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I would guess that's only the trial order until it proves itself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Undobtedly, since the studio would have never gone along with a series that would only run 20 episodes. They wouldn't be able to earn any money on it.

If you want to see how good an actor Luke Perry really is, skip 90210 and watch the movies 8 Seconds or Normal Life (w/Ashley Judd)....
Also try to catch an episode of the HBO series OZ with him in it....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

I don't have pay cable. I will never have pay cable. I can't afford pay cable.

I wish I was morally bad enough to bring myself to take part in a black-market Jeremiah tape exchange.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Everything JMS has written about Jeremiah, beginning with his initial references to Joe Dante all the way through the "TWCBN" period, suggest that this is a continuing series. What they're about to shoot is the first season. It will actually be a two-hour introductory movie, followed by 18 weekly episodes, for a total of 20 hours this season.

This is by no means an unusual number of episodes for a pay-cable original series. Not being tied-down to the conventional "fall through spring" season of the broadcast networks (and given that they often cost more to produce than network shows) pay-cable series often go for "odd" numbers. I think the first three seasons of The Sopranos all had different numbers of episodes, depending on how many shows the producers thought they needed to tell that part of the story.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back