• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Alternative Universe

miock

We all know that JMS had built in escape traps so that if a major character was unable to continue, the rest of the story didn't fall apart. So after one season, with Michael O'hare (he was a really nice chap) ill health Bruce Boxleitner, took over Babylon 5's command, so my question is if Michael had continued, would we have seen his girlfriend Catherine Sakai going to Z'Ha'Dum and Sinclair going after her, as Sheridan chased after his wife Elizabeth? of course we then have a problem with, who was Valen?

We all know that JMS had built in escape traps so that if a major character was unable to continue, the rest of the story didn't fall apart. So after one season, with Michael O'hare (he was a really nice chap) ill health Bruce Boxleitner, took over Babylon 5's command, so my question is if Michael had continued, would we have seen his girlfriend Catherine Sakai going to Z'Ha'Dum and Sinclair going after her, as Sheridan chased after his wife Elizabeth? of course we then have a problem with, who was Valen?
Well...no, to all of it. In the outline JMS published in the script books, there was no mention of Valen. Nor of Shadows. And the outline covered two five-year series (not in great detail, mind) and B4 actually went into the *future* after B5 was destroyed in a rekindled Earth/Minbari war. So there were a lot of changes due, I'm sure to the cast issues as well as JMS thinking of directions he'd rather explore.

would we have seen his girlfriend Catherine Sakai going to Z'Ha'Dum and Sinclair going after her, as Sheridan chased after his wife Elizabeth? of course we then have a problem with, who was Valen?
The original plot was going to have Sakai go missing while out exploring on the Rim, and then coming back altered by the Shadows, so that part of the storyline would have remained roughly the same (though not sure it would have involved Sinclair going to Z'Ha'Dum). As was implied by the ending of Babylon Squared, Sinclair would have ended up with Delenn, as Sheridan did, and their son would have been important.

As Jan mentions, B4 was originally meant to go into the future after B5 is destroyed by the Minbari warrior caste in retribution for Delenn and Sinclair having a child and damaging the purity of their race as the warrior caste saw it (as seen in Signs and Portents, and the flash-forward battle we see in Babylon Squared). That would have signalled the end of the first five-year series and the launch of a new series, Babylon Prime, that would have seen our heroes use B4 in the war against the Shadows. Apparently B4 had engines so they could fly it around the galaxy?

There was a (very) old thread on here that detailed most of the main points of the original plot. I'll see if I can find it.

Welcome the board, by the way!

I really hate it when we go down these roads............ because it makes me cry that we don't have more and more and more!!!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭🤪🤓

Welcome to the Boards Miock! Thanks for making me cry. ;)(y)

Read something once that listed a lot of "possibilities". Saved the link a while ago, and it is --
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
-- but no idea what was in the works, rumor, or pure speculation.

That’s one of the things that was so exciting about the idea of a reboot. The original story was significantly different from what ended up being created, time passing would change even more. I so want to see what a reboot could do. With the entertainment world being sucked up by buyouts and restructuring, I’m not sure where that is.

And another “welcome to the board”. You asked a great question.

That’s one of the things that was so exciting about the idea of a reboot. The original story was significantly different from what ended up being created, time passing would change even more. I so want to see what a reboot could do. With the entertainment world being sucked up by buyouts and restructuring, I’m not sure where that is.

And another “welcome to the board”. You asked a great question.

Thank you so much for the welcome, I must admit to not watching B5 for so long, but have started watching the series again and am up to all along in the night. I was an active member of a number of B5 newsgroups(yep I’m that old) back in the day, mainly the uk ones and we had to be very careful of spoilers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back