B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Legend of the Rangers
A -- Excellent 4 9.30%
B -- Good 8 18.60%
C -- Average 20 46.51%
D -- Poor 10 23.26%
F -- Failure 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16th 07, 07:11   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for The Legend of the Rangers
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for The Legend of the Rangers
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 07, 09:25   #2
GaribaldisHair
First One

Re: EpDis: The Legend of the Rangers

Looked at as a piece of standalone TVSF LotR was actually pretty good. Looked at as a part of B5 I was disappointed. I thought it had some good ideas (and some bad ones, whether forced on the production team or otherwise) but just failed to gel them together into anything resembling the sort of quality we had from 5 years of the original show.

That said, I do pull it out occasionally, watch and (as long as I disengage my B5 level expectations) enjoy it.

Overall, an everage from me.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 07, 12:43   #3
Babylon5fan07
Ranger

Send a message via Yahoo to Babylon5fan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
Looked at as a piece of standalone TVSF LotR was actually pretty good. Looked at as a part of B5 I was disappointed. I thought it had some good ideas (and some bad ones, whether forced on the production team or otherwise) but just failed to gel them together into anything resembling the sort of quality we had from 5 years of the original show.

That said, I do pull it out occasionally, watch and (as long as I disengage my B5 level expectations) enjoy it.

Overall, an everage from me.
I haven't quite gotten to that episode yet...even though I've seen all 5 seasons with the movies twice already my best friend bought me the Legends of the Rangers for last Christmas so I'm going to hold off watching it until I complete watching the series on my own again..(on my own I just have to watch The Fall of Night in 2nd season then season 3) of course I will be watching all the shows again with my wife and best friend. I want to keep the lineage that's why I'm holding off.
Alex
"The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening title narration from Babylon 5)

"Oh, boy, is this Great!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House
"Faith....Manages--"Delenn and Lennier from B5
V "For Victory. Go and tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
Babylon5fan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 07, 15:07   #4
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Eh...I think if it wasn't for the whole weapons fiasco, and it had gone to series, we would have seen much more in LotR. The Gathering, viewed by itself, is certainly no stellar movie (Heck, some of us are afraid of showing it to potential B5 converts as a first episode), but, viewed as part of the 6 year arc, gains much more appreciation from me.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 07, 15:32   #5
RW7427

I loved it!
Old April 16th 07, 22:38   #6
KoshN

This is the only "F" (Failure) I've given to any episode or movie in the B5 universe. It almost makes it up to the level of "D" (Poor) because of Dulann, Na'Feel, Firell and David. The only other things to get an "F" from me are Dell #4 and Dell #5.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 07, 08:34   #7
torkste
Ranger

I gave it a B.

When I think back on The Gathering, I remember buying it on vhs i Norway way back when, as a movie, and at the time I knew nothing of plans for a TV serie.
I watched it several times, didn't like it that much.
This was when vhs tapes were expensive, and numerous tapes with so-so movies on it, got a tape strip so the tape could be re-recorded.
Somehow The Gathering survived, probably because it was SF and had aliens in it, and years later I got hooked when B5 was shown on TV.

Then LOTR came, and it can be looked at from different angles.
Was it Great ? Maybe not, but it was ok.
Was the targeting system silly, maybe, but to me that is not important.
Why a B ?
To me it was the chance to start a new series, taking place before the aborted Crusade, planned with a 5 year arc, that would catch up to the events in Crusade, and hopefully answer a lot of questions.
And had events happened a little different (you Americans sure a crazy when it comes to sport events), the Nielsen rating may have been good enough to launch the series.
torkste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 07, 16:08   #8
hypatia
First One

I am not sure if this is true at all or not, but:

I kind of got the impression that another factor in Sci-Fi's not adopting "Rangers" was their programming shift at the time. That was back when they wanted more "psychics talking to the dead" and stuff.

But yea, the ratings competition certainly didn't help.
Old April 17th 07, 16:27   #9
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Funny that. With BSG and numerous Stargates they seem to like the space shows now ...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 07, 21:46   #10
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
Funny that. With BSG and numerous Stargates they seem to like the space shows now ...
Well, they cancelled SG-1, so after these last 10 episodes (205-214) air, all that's left is SG-A of the Stargate franchise on The Sci-Fi Channel.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote