B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 26th 09, 21:25   #51
Urban Roy
Lurker

Re: Movie and seasons order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Oooh...will this be your first watch of the series? How exciting, definitely share your thoughts along the way so we can live vicariously through you.
Yes it will (bar some half remembered random episodes that I came across when it was first going out). I've read so much about it that I'm trying not to build it up so high that it can never meet expectations! I'm really looking forward to having people who know what they are talking about to share it with as I go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
First things first, check that none of the discs are loose and/or scratched. You want to get this cleared up now, rather than discovering it as you come across the discs as you watch the show (possibly outside of any exchange period you may have.). Check every disc, and re-seat it properly on the hub.
Top tip. Fortunately everything looks fine (maybe the region 2 disks were packed at a different site) but I've been caught out before so know it's always worth checking. Lets hope that I haven't missed anything. I've got the UK Amazon set which has the main 5 series, Crusade, the films and The Lost Tales so probably luck rather than judgement that there wasn't a problem with at least one of the disks.

Another question, if I may, on watching order. I've never really got on with pilot episodes for me they never quite seem to catch the true spirit of a series. I will get to it eventually but will I be missing crucial background if I dive straight into Episode 1, Series 1 rather than watching The Gathering first?
Old February 26th 09, 21:40   #52
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
Yes it will (bar some half remembered random episodes that I came across when it was first going out). I've read so much about it that I'm trying not to build it up so high that it can never meet expectations! I'm really looking forward to having people who know what they are talking about to share it with as I go along.

Top tip. Fortunately everything looks fine (maybe the region 2 disks were packed at a different site) but I've been caught out before so know it's always worth checking. Lets hope that I haven't missed anything. I've got the UK Amazon set which has the main 5 series, Crusade, the films and The Lost Tales so probably luck rather than judgement that there wasn't a problem with at least one of the disks.

Another question, if I may, on watching order. I've never really got on with pilot episodes for me they never quite seem to catch the true spirit of a series. I will get to it eventually but will I be missing crucial background if I dive straight into Episode 1, Series 1 rather than watching The Gathering first?
Some characters change from the Pilot, and the Pilot is tough for some to get into, so you may not be bad off getting addicted to the series first, and then watching the Gathering. I think the main important thing for the first 7 episodes is "There is a hole in your mind"

One thing to remember though with Babylon 5, JMS didn't do random things often. "If a gun is used in Act 3, you can almost always see it on the wall in Act 1". In other words most things are indeed set up and introduced before they play out.

I would suggest you watch The Gathering before you watch "And the Sky Full of Stars"
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 21:58   #53
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
I would suggest you watch The Gathering before you watch "And the Sky Full of Stars"
That episode title -- "And The Sky Full Of Stars" -- even comes from a line of dialogue in "The Gathering", and I've always liked that particular scene. I agree: I don't think you have to watch "The Gathering" before watching some of the show, but I would watch it before "And The Sky Full Of Stars".

Although, some of the brewing, subsurface tension in "Soul Hunter" might not be as apparent without having watched "The Gathering" first.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 09, 02:05   #54
KoshN

Quote:
Why you lucky! Maybe the UK (Region 2) set uses a better hub design and better materials (plastic that's more "plastic" and not so hard and likely to cause scratches), and maybe the set is assembled with more care.

Quote:
It's best to watch "The Gathering" first. At least you'll be watching the second version, the one without the "zoo" scene. The Delenn makeup, and androgynous nature can be jarring, but once you get past it and into the series, you'll be fine. Just remember that between the pilot and the series, things change. The makeup wasn't all ironed out yet. The weapons weren't nailed down yet. Some of the characters changed a bit. Some of the actors in the pilot, show up later in the series as a different character (e.g. Ed Wasser as Guerra in the pilot, and as Morden in the series.). Watch "The Gathering" for the story, not for all the little details about the show.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 09, 08:21   #55
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
That episode title -- "And The Sky Full Of Stars" -- even comes from a line of dialogue in "The Gathering", and I've always liked that particular scene. I agree: I don't think you have to watch "The Gathering" before watching some of the show, but I would watch it before "And The Sky Full Of Stars".

Although, some of the brewing, subsurface tension in "Soul Hunter" might not be as apparent without having watched "The Gathering" first.
Curiously that line also matches dialogue from a character in C.S Lewis's "The Silver Chair" and Sinclair's situation has certain parallels with Prince Rilian in this tale.

However when pressed, JMS revealed he had never read the book. But I do find the coincidence extraordinary.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 09, 13:15   #56
Urban Roy
Lurker

Quote:
Why you lucky! Maybe the UK (Region 2) set uses a better hub design and better materials (plastic that's more "plastic" and not so hard and likely to cause scratches), and maybe the set is assembled with more care.
I think that it's partly to do with the very slimline boxes that most of the DVDs come in. There are two DVD's in each case and if the disk drops off the hub then they don't shut properly which means that they in turn don't fit inside the cardboard series box. So in order to leave the factory they would have to be inserted properly Anyway I can feel things drifting off topic so I will shut up about the minutia of DVD case design.

Thanks all for the comments on The Gathering. I think that I take from this that if I can bear it I should watch it first but as long as I get it in before epsiode 7 then not to worry over much. To be honest I think that the most important thing is to stop faffing about and start watching (which was the plan for the weekend but the weather is so nice...)!
Old July 24th 09, 16:20   #57
Roberto
Lurker

I have read some times in the thread about some lines Kosh say in the special edition of The Gathering. What exactly are these lines? I have both versions, but I can't remember this.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th 09, 17:00   #58
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
I have read some times in the thread about some lines Kosh say in the special edition of The Gathering. What exactly are these lines? I have both versions, but I can't remember this.
Just one line, IIRC, where we hear Kosh's thoughts; he thinks "Entil'zha Valen" when he recognizes Sinclair as Valen [spoiler] (who Kosh & Ulkesh met 1000 years ago. Dell #9 "To Dream in the City of Sorrows")[/spoiler]. It's not really Sinclair, but the Minbari assassin in a changeling net. It's one of those quick lines that means nothing to the newbie who doesn't know anything about Valen yet, but it pays off later, in Season 3 Episodes 16 & 17 "War Without End Parts 1 & 2."

Damn! Is nothing working today. Spoiler function not working, and I can't even camoflage it with making it background color. Argh!!!
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; July 25th 09 at 20:22.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th 09, 17:17   #59
jnk5y
First One

Quote:
Just one line, IIRC, where we hear Kosh's thoughts; he thinks "Entil'zha Valen" when he recognizes Sinclair as Valen [color:"#081640"] (who Kosh & Ulkesh met 1000 years ago. Dell #9 "To Dream in the City of Sorrows")[/color]. It's not really Sinclair, but the Minbari assassin in a changeling net. It's one of those quick lines that means nothing to the newbie who doesn't know anything about Valen yet, but it pays off later, in Season 3 Episodes 16 & 17 "War Without End Parts 1 & 2."

Damn! Is nothing working today. Spoiler function not working, and I can't even camoflage it with making it background color. Argh!!!
wait a sec... Sinclair is Valen?!?!?!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! you just ruined it for me
jnk5y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th 09, 11:05   #60
Roberto
Lurker

Oh yeay I remember now. That is kinda cool of course.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote