B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The River Of Souls
A -- Excellent 1 3.70%
B -- Good 13 48.15%
C -- Average 9 33.33%
D -- Poor 4 14.81%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1st 07, 21:43   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: The River Of Souls

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for The River Of Souls
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for The River Of Souls
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 03:17   #2
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Re: EpDis: The River Of Souls

I liked it and gave it a B.

I hadn't seen season five when I watched it so was a little confused over the Lochely thing but soon found my feet.

Loved the holosuit scene where she is pleased that her likeness is one of the most rented out but was disapointed to see homophobia take a grip.

No need for her to look pleased then disgusted at the true source of her popularity.

Apart from that,loved it.

Always wanted to see more Soul Hunters

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 05:07   #3
RW7427

The best part of the whole damn movie is the Love Bat.
Old April 2nd 07, 10:22   #4
raw_bean
Commander

Always felt to me like a very mediocre episode of B5 padded out to twice the length. Even the worst B5 has the occasional moment of greatness, but with all honesty (and I know this is going to sound like me being snarky and disingenuous, though I'm not) I don't think I've ever actually watched this the whole way through without dozing off. Seriously. Since I got the UK B5 Universe boxset, I've watched the entire B5 universe through three times with friends I've got into B5, and twice on my own, and I may have been tired from watching a marathon of B5 each time I've gotten to RoS but I always drift off somewhere about halfway to two thirds of the way through!
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 10:23   #5
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Loved the holosuit scene where she is pleased that her likeness is one of the most rented out but was disapointed to see homophobia take a grip.
I'm not sure it is particularly fair to accuse Lochley (actually JMS, really) of homophobia. There is a big difference between harbouring an irrational prejudice about gay and lesbian people and finding out that they are renting a likeness of you to have sex with.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 11:01   #6
RMcD
First One

I think what disappointed me most was that I wanted to see a movie involving that 2263 B5 crew that was hinted at in Objects in Rest - Captain Lochley, Lieutenant Corwin (surely that should be Commander Corwin by now?), Dr Hobbes, Narn Ambassador Ta'Lon, Centauri Ambassador Cotto, Security Chief Zack Allen, and perhaps a brand new Minbari ambassador to mix things up.. Throw a Soul Hunter in among them, keep the beginning and add a climactic ending, and you'd have a good movie.

The idea was okay, but I think they deliberately set their goals too low when they decided to spend the budget on relatively big-name actors. The direction wasn't inspiring, some (not all) of the effects were poor, and the station sets never looked so ugly. That doesn't mean there aren't some positives to be found in there.. I think Martin Sheen can't help being likeable, and this was the first time I really started to see Lochley as an independent character, rather than just Ivanova's understudy. But the B-plot, the forced humour, the lack of a strong ending, the fact that after the excellent opening it feels less like a movie and more like television than most episodes of B5, all make it difficult for me to enjoy.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 12:20   #7
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
I'm not sure it is particularly fair to accuse Lochley (actually JMS, really) of homophobia. There is a big difference between harbouring an irrational prejudice about gay and lesbian people and finding out that they are renting a likeness of you to have sex with.
She was happy to hear it was popular then changed her attitude when she found out it was through women.

I'm not accussing JMS of homophobia,the scene wouldn't exist if he was homophobic in my opinion.

She did react to it so I'd have to say she had an issue.

It was just something I picked up on,probably nothing

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 14:52   #8
Sindatur
Techno-mage

JMS, I don't think is homophobic in the slightest, Talia and Susa, and Day of the Dead implied Zoe and Lochley were more than friends at one time, Marcus and Stephen posed as husbands, and there was even one or two background scenes of guys having lunch or whatever together that look 'date-like".

I think it was just Lochley's problem.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 19:32   #9
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
and Day of the Dead implied Zoe and Lochley were more than friends at one time
It did?
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd 07, 20:38   #10
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
It did?
Well, it seemed to me at least

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote