B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 14th 13, 17:19   #101
Demonn
First One

Re: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheggs View Post
I'm thinkijng about starting the Dresden Files. Should I start with the DVD? And should I change the viewing order?
Tough one... I started with the show. At the time I thought it was GREAT... but then I started reading the books & my opinion of the show slowly started to drop. I now think the show sucked.

If you start with the tv show... watch it like it was the pilot for B5.

If you start with the books, keep in mind that... (IMHO) They don't really pick up until you get to Grave Peril (the 3rd Book), or Summer Knight (the 4th Book)... & be warned, (also IMHO) by the time you get to the end of Dead Beat (The 7th Book), the series will turn into an addictive substance, & you'll need to keep reading & rereading to get your fix.

[EDIT]

& I forgot to answer the second question... go me.

In watching the show, keep in mind that... Storm Front (aka Episode 8) was the pilot episode for the show and it was basically the 1st book pancaked into a crappy tv episode. Hair of the Dog was the pancake they made out of Fool Moon (the 2nd Book). It doesn't really matter what order you watch the show in because they did each episode as like a "stand alone" & I don't really think they tied into each other.

Watch Storm Front first though... then the rest as they come along.

Last edited by Demonn; March 14th 13 at 17:34. Reason: & I forgot to answer the second question... go me.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 13, 09:31   #102
KoshN

Like Demonn, I, too, started with the TV show. I agree with 99% of what Demonn said, but I'm a little more forgiving of the show and wouldn't say that the show necessarily "sucked." When you watch the show, take things with a grain of salt, not like what the show says is cast in stone or is gospel. If I were you, I'd start with the show, Storm Front first. Here's the best order IMHO:

DvdEp, SciFi Airing, Production Order, Airdate, Title
D2E4, 8, 1x01, 18-Mar-07, Storm Front
D1E4, 4, 1x02, 18-Feb-07, Rules of Engagement
D1E1, 1, 1x03, 21-Jan-07, Birds of a Feather
D1E2, 2, 1x04, 28-Jan-07, The Boone Identity
D1E3, 3, 1x05, 11-Feb-07, Hair of the Dog
D2E3, 7, 1x06, 11-Mar-07, Walls
D2E1, 5, 1x07, 25-Feb-07, Bad Blood
D2E2, 6, 1x08, 4-Mar-07, Soul Beneficiary
D3E2, 10, 1x09, 1-Apr-07, What About Bob?
D3E1, 9, 1x10, 25-Mar-07, The Other Dick
D3E3, 11, 1x11, 8-Apr-07, Things That Go Bump
D3E4, 12, 1x12, 15-Apr-07, Second City

It's too bad that Sci-Fi scrambled the order and that it went that way onto the DVD set (like what happened to Crusade, with the TNT crappy order being used for that DVD set. )

I find that watching the show first helps me, as a starting point, to visualize the characters in the books. After that, I use the descriptions in the books to modify the look and personality of the characters. For characters who never appeared in the show, I cast actors who I've seen in the past for the roles that seem to suit them here. Then, as I read the books, it all plays out like a movie in my mind's eye.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; March 15th 13 at 09:52.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th 13, 15:41   #103
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Welll. I can finally pick up my hold from the library. It;s curious, when I requested this I was 3rd on the list. I requested Game of Thrones, S2 at the same time. I was 183rd on that list. I watched it 2 weeks ago. The good news is that IMCPL has all the books and they have low to no holds on them, and the author is young and healthy (urghmm, The late Mr Jordan) and publishes regularly AND frequently, with an end game in sight (Urghmmmm, Mr george RR martin). I'm looking forward to getting started.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st 13, 21:16   #104
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Funny thing happened while watching DF: My DVD player died. On a Saturday night. I went Sunday morning to get a new one. I had checked the nearby BestBuy's web page and saw they had an open box panasonic 3d bluray and decided to upgrade. While there I noticed they had a 50' 3d panasonic plasma open box for under $800, incliuding tax, with free delivery. I now have a new 3d system.

I rather enjoeyd the show. Any program that has Pat Tallman and Claudia Black as guest stars is a good show. Good call on watching Storm Front first. The hockey stick didn't bother me: I've spent a good deal of time in Chicago and wouldn't bat an eye if someone wandered by with one. He did use the drumstick in jail, to create a hologram. The FX were adequete, not brilliant, but not "cheesy". Paul B was a good casting choice, the lady cop ... not so much. I think it probably deserved a second season and if it had been on the CW network, would have gotten it. I'm rather impressed by CW's ability to foster shows and actually give them a chance, other networks should take heed.

I look forward to the books.

Last edited by fisheggs; May 31st 13 at 21:19.
Old August 3rd 13, 18:52   #105
KoshN

Quote:
Funny thing happened while watching DF: My DVD player died.
Perhaps you have some latent wizard talent.

Quote:
On a Saturday night. I went Sunday morning to get a new one. I had checked the nearby BestBuy's web page and saw they had an open box panasonic 3d bluray and decided to upgrade. While there I noticed they had a 50' 3d panasonic plasma open box for under $800, incliuding tax, with free delivery. I now have a new 3d system.

I rather enjoeyd the show. Any program that has Pat Tallman and Claudia Black as guest stars is a good show.
Claudia, yes, but I don't remember Pat being in The Dresden Files.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; August 3rd 13 at 18:55.
Old August 3rd 13, 22:55   #106
fisheggs
Techno-mage

She was the mother, of the kid. I forget which ep. I'll have to "hold" it at my library. And watch again. If it wasn't her, then it was her evil step twin.

As far as wizard talent, not yet. But I'm Irish: I believe in Luck.

Old August 4th 13, 02:54   #107
KoshN

Quote:
She was the mother, of the kid. I forget which ep. I'll have to "hold" it at my library. And watch again. If it wasn't her, then it was her evil step twin.

As far as wizard talent, not yet. But I'm Irish: I believe in Luck.
1. Can you remember anything about the plot of the episode you think Pat was in? If you threw me some clues, I could probably check it out. I OWN the DVD set.

2. Wizard talent is at odds with electronics. That's part of the reason Harry drives an OLD VW Beetle (WWII~Korean War era Jeep in the TV show). That's one of the areas where the TV show screwed up; they showed Harry and a girlfriend watching a DVD at Harry's. The more a wizard is using his/her powers or the more emotion they have going at the time (e.g. anxiety), the more likely the wizard will fry any electronics nearby, and the nearer, the worse the damage. Modern cars with computers won't survive long around Harry. PCs are of course out of the question.Sometimes he can keep himself restrained enough to use a modern car for a fairly short trip in a pinch.
Old August 13th 13, 14:17   #108
Demonn
First One

I think it was that bird man episode & the mom wasn't Pat Tallman, but she was a redhead. I remember Claudia Black but not Pat Tallman being in the show...
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 13, 18:06   #109
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
I think it was that bird man episode & the mom wasn't Pat Tallman, but she was a redhead. I remember Claudia Black but not Pat Tallman being in the show...
"Birds of a Feather" - the ones with the guys who were crows, who were thought to be menacing, but were really protecting the boy? Marie Ward (Sheryl Sharpe, the boy's mother).
Old September 28th 13, 16:01   #110
KoshN

Demonn, you know what one thing I did like of the TV show over the book? The Jeep. To me, that makes more sense than an air-cooled VW beetle. Yes, with even that Jeep (looks like WWII or Korean War era), you have a water coolant system that can go wrong, but still, a no frills Jeep like that is rugged. Another Jeep weakness is the soft top (no protection) but it's also a strength, because Harry could blast things overhead more easily.

Maybe it's just that I like Jeeps (WWII thru Wranglers).