B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father
A -- Excellent 3 14.29%
B -- Good 11 52.38%
C -- Average 5 23.81%
D -- Poor 2 9.52%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28th 06, 17:06   #31
Joseph DeMartino

Re: EpDis: The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father

Since I was originally responding to hyp's point about P10s being rare (which obviously meant "rare within Psi Corps") I naturally meant my bell curve comment to apply to the subset of the population that consists of teeps, not the entire population of Humans. If you're talking about the distribution of different levels of telepathic ability it seemed obvious to me that you would exclude people who, by definition, don't have any telepathic ability. That's precisely why I used the example of NBA player in my later post Granted I also mentioned intelligence in an example using the entire human population, but notice the difference: Intelligence is a defining Human trait. All Humans posses it to one degree or another, so it makes sense to include all Humans in examining the distribution of degrees of intelligence. All Humans in the B5 universe do not have telepathic abilities, so it makes no sense to include the non-teeps in an examination of the distribution of telepathic ability. You'll distort the results badly, in fact. Similarly it would make no sense to include every Human being alive or every Human being who has ever played basketball in examining the distribution of talent within the NBA.

But it is clear now that this was all much more obvious inside my own head than it was in my posts. Sorry.

Quote:
I wonder if Bester would think the end justified the means if the means were his own death.
I'm sure he would. There's nothing in Bester's nature that suggests he's a coward. He's even honorable, by his own slightly twisted lights. I'm sure Bester would willingly, even happily lay down his life for "his" teeps if that was absolutely necessary. (If the only way of stopping Edgar's teep virus involved Bester strapping a nuke to his back and landing on Edgar's roof, I don't doubt that he'd do it.) The problem is that Bester places such a high value on his own talents and abilities that to his way of thinking there aren't a lot of things that could happen to Teeps that would be worse than the loss of Bester himself. Thus he's willing to sacrifice others to not because he's afraid of death, but because he's afraid of what will happen to "his" teeps when he's gone. He sees the period he lives in as one critical to "homo superior" and himself as a key historical figure who will help usher in the Age of the Telepath.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th 06, 00:00   #32
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

So here's the next question: how are we classifying those people with the telepathic gene but no actual telepathic abilities? We know from G'Kar that the Narns still have the genes kicking around, just not strong enough to express as actual telepaths (and, totally off-topic: do the Narns ever get their telepaths back?). Presumably the humans have a similar situation going.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 08, 05:35   #33
Elipsis
Commander

It's always interesting to see what threads go on and on... you people continue to surprise me.

I actually wasn't particularly impressed with this episode. I thought it was actually going to be an entire episode centering around Bester (and was hoping for this), but once we get to B5 its the same old same old, and did this episode even have a B plot? We've already seen that sometimes Bester is right, so there was no need to demonstrate that, and this episode didn't do anything new or interesting for me. (Other than the logo.)
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 08, 18:09   #34
hypatia
First One

You didn't find it interesting to see a Bester trip from the other point of view? From the intern's perspective, Bester was really treated like crap. And the "mundanes" did act pretty mundane. And you get to see Bester acting kindly, something we don't really see at any other time in the series.

It also showed Bester receiving some teen adoration, which probably no one would have guessed. And it showed a lovely young woman, sweet and charming, casually (even eagerly) toss a man out into hyperspace. Under that sweet, innocent exterior, the corps had already done its job well (dehumanizing the mundane population).

For me it was the interaction between the girl and Bester that made the episode. But, as always, different folks like/dislike different episodes of the show.
Old April 25th 08, 18:18   #35
Elipsis
Commander

The interaction between Bester and that girl really reminded me of the relationship between Vir and his wife.

"Hey sweety, I really want to impress you. Let me do this murder."
Elipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 08, 21:10   #36
hypatia
First One

But Vir's wife was controlling and manipulative. Bester's female intern was simply in complete adoration of him. Also the intern's actions could be explained/understood as a young woman's typical behavior (apart from the extent to which she'd already been conditioned to think of mundanes as inhuman). Vir's potential wife was far too old to be going through that phase in life.

Both had been completely conditioned to see this one type of "person" as being no more than an annoying pest to be eliminated. And both did anticipate the approval of the one they were out to impress. But as character types, I admit I don't see them as being the same at all. One of the frightening and disturbing things about the girl was how young she was to be already so callous about life. Vir's wife had had decades to become that way.

But good observation. Both certainly felt that killing would be an excellent way to "prove themselves" to the one they adored.
Old April 25th 08, 21:26   #37
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Decades???

I don't think Lyndisty was as old as that implies. I'd have pegged her as late 20's early thirties (earth equivalent).

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th 08, 21:32   #38
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah, Lyndisty struck me as being about 19.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 08, 01:25   #39
hypatia
First One

O.K. Two decades then, give or take. She'd certainly been raised since birth to think that way.

What's the average age a psychic is identified? I remember the one episode where the girl seemed only a bit younger than Vir's potential wife when she was discovered. I forget if any are discovered at birth. One commercial seemed to indicate maybe 12 or so was a likely age to see an emergence, right?

A lot less "programming" time. But obviously their programming is quite effective.

Last edited by hypatia; April 26th 08 at 01:30.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 08, 03:12   #40
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
What's the average age a psychic is identified? I remember the one episode where the girl seemed only a bit younger than Vir's potential wife when she was discovered. I forget if any are discovered at birth. One commercial seemed to indicate maybe 12 or so was a likely age to see an emergence, right?
The young girl who becomes a telepath is Alisa Beldon in "Legacies". I suspect the character was 12 but the actress was older.

Last edited by A_M_Swallow; April 26th 08 at 17:17. Reason: I worked out who was meant
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote