B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Rising Star
A -- Excellent 7 28.00%
B -- Good 7 28.00%
C -- Average 4 16.00%
D -- Poor 5 20.00%
F -- Failure 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8th 06, 00:54   #31
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: EpDis: A View From The Gallery

Although that probably wasn't JMS' original intention, I thought he made the aliens deliberately generic, and a bit comical, the better to serve as a backdrop for Mac and Bo. Part of what makes me think that is their helmets, which looked like something out of the 30s version of Buck Rodgers.
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 03:09   #32
Joseph DeMartino

I really don't see the objection to the one stop aliens.

A location mid-way between the various powers is not necessarily one surrounded by the various powers. If the leaders of the leading countries on both sides of the Paciifc decided to create a meeting place roughly equidistant from all of them, they'd literally end up at Midway - Midway Island. Which is not notable for bordering much of anything.

In fact, B5 is where it is because the region is unimportant and not worth anyone's bothering with. Which makes it a perfectly reasonable spot for someone moving from point-A to point-B to travel through on their way elsewhere.

People are talking about B5's position like we are looking at national boundries on a map - countries on the surface of a globe. Space, as people keep forgetting, is three dimensional. The aliens could be coming from any direction and there may be no known sentient life along the line they've followed.

That's why they call it "space", folks. Because there's a lot of it.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 15:13   #33
KoshN

Quote:
I really don't see the objection to the one stop aliens.
Where'd they come from? What was their name? Who'd they conquer, or were they "attack and loot" sort of aliens, just passing through?

I gave it a D (Poor) and I thought that was being charitable. It was pure filler, like they had to crank out an episode and nobody could think of anything, so they threw together this padding piece.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 15:23   #34
hypatia
First One

But that's likely what it would be like with a view from the gallery, so to speak. They aren't exactly at the information center of the station.

And not every episode need be arc-related.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 15:50   #35
KoshN

Quote:
But that's likely what it would be like with a view from the gallery, so to speak. They aren't exactly at the information center of the station.
IIRC, Lochley (at the center of information) is overheard being briefed about or talking about the aliens, and she doesn't know, either. Nobody really knows much of anything about them, except that they've been attacking other races and B5 is likely the next target on their path.

Quote:
And not every episode need be arc-related.
It's really nothing to do with being arc-related. It's just lack of background information making the episode seem thin.

I'll have to rewatch the episode, but from what I remember of it, I found the bit about the aliens very unsatisfying.
Old October 8th 06, 16:07   #36
hypatia
First One

O.K.

I simply liked how we got, literally, a different view of B5. A view from the grunts doing the grunt work.

But I know some people hate the episode, some hate all of season 5.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 16:15   #37
Londos6
First One

Quote:
I gave it a D (Poor) and I thought that was being charitable. It was pure filler, like they had to crank out an episode and nobody could think of anything, so they threw together this padding piece.
Ditto.
Londos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 16:30   #38
KoshN

Quote:
...some hate all of season 5.
Not me. Far from it. The Centauri/Drakh arc of Season 5 contains some of the best episodes of B5, IMHO. Seeing Londo accept that keeper, and his last (pre-keeper) meeting with G'Kar. The clips we got showing Londo's descent. Great stuff.

Once Byron is gone, the episodes get a lot better. Every time Lyta says "Remember Bryon." I think "Shut up. I'm trying to forget."
Old October 8th 06, 16:52   #39
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
Where'd they come from? What was their name? Who'd they conquer, or were they "attack and loot" sort of aliens, just passing through?
We don't know. Which is sorta the freakin' point. There are still mysteries and unknowns out there. Not everything is going to be tied up with a neat little bow and come with a card listing all the particulars. Since we never did see them again, and they didn't stay to conquer and occupy any of the systems they did hit, I'd say the logical inference from the information that JMS does give us in the episode is that they are the "'attack and loot' sort of aliens, just passing through?" See, there's an answer to one of your questions, and it was right in front of you the whole time.

They're a reminder that the Shadow War and the formation of the Alliance didn't solve everything, that the universe is still full of surprises and that history (even fictional future history), unlike a story, never ends. They're a glimpse of the million and one tales that could be told in the B5 universe, but never will be. Why is this a problem for some people? Any really well imagined "sub-creation" (I think Tolkein's word applies here) is going to have the potential to generate many more stories than a thousand writers could produce in a thousand lifetimes.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th 06, 17:30   #40
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:
We don't know. Which is sorta the freakin' point. There are still mysteries and unknowns out there. Not everything is going to be tied up with a neat little bow and come with a card listing all the particulars.
Some particulars would be nice. A hint. A rumor. A legend.

Quote:
Since we never did see them again, and they didn't stay to conquer and occupy any of the systems they did hit,
Do we even really know that last part, they didn't stay to conquer and occupy any of the systems they did hit? Maybe it wasn't important enough to even mention in another episode.

Quote:
...I'd say the logical inference from the information that JMS does give us in the episode is that they are the "'attack and loot' sort of aliens, just passing through?" See, there's an answer to one of your questions, and it was right in front of you the whole time.
That's it! They're Reavers! The Firefly universe couldn't hold 'em. Some of 'em escaped.

Really, they're just throwaway aliens, an overall background/overall event to tie together the "Mack & Bo wander about the station." episode.