B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 24th 16, 16:05   #1
Wulf
Ranger

Audio levels

I can't recall if this has ever been discussed before, but is anybody else bothered by the audio of the show?

I never noticed this while it was on TV, most likely because I was younger with perfect hearing and no need to ever be quiet, but lately my biggest issue with rewatching episodes is the audio.

I have to crank the volume up to understand the characters speaking and at that level all the various sound effects are rather loud. A minor problem if I want to watch it without straining to hear after the kids are in bed, without the other effects being disturbing.

It does it on a few different TVs, and doesn't matter if I'm watching them on my computer or through my PS3. Other shows are comfortably mixed, so it's not (just) my sound setup.

Does anybody else notice this or am I just weird?
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th 16, 23:38   #2
JoeD80
Commander

Re: Audio levels

Babylon 5 is done in Surround Sound so that is possibly related. I don't have a good speaker setup to test this theory. The DVDs do seem awfully quiet to me as well.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th 16, 00:46   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

The only thing I've noticed for certain is that when the show aired I used to be able to hear the links 'breep' but now I almost never do. I just figured it was age.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 16, 14:29   #4
Wulf
Ranger

Hmm. I wonder if anybody's uploaded their old VHS rips from way back then to compare against.

I don't think I'd want to scour the depths of the internet to find such things, but it would be neat to see if something was lost going to DVD.

At least I'm not alone, either in age or poor speaker arrangements.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 16, 20:23   #5
JoeD80
Commander

The episodes on Vudu are the original fullscreen versions (with the exception of four or five episodes) which I downloaded recently and started watching to see the original CGI and composites in full. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the audio on the DVDs though; that would be interesting.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd 16, 16:12   #6
estube
Lurker

I just downloaded this. Thanks for sharing
estube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th 17, 03:10   #7
Looney
Ambassador

I know I have mentioned this elsewhere, but listening to the streaming on Go90 with earbuds I swear I am hearing back ground stuff I've never heard before. Little beeps and so on and even things in the music.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th 17, 03:54   #8
hypatia
First One

Although I've never heard an episode that way, I have noticed that earbuds/earphones really do let you hear a lot more detail.
Old June 16th 17, 04:12   #9
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I'm having a completely different experience with audio this time through the show, but for an equally complete different reason: my partner is partially deaf, and so we're watching with the close captioning. The challenge for me is to remember to watch the show as opposed to reading it. My guess is that even if we had superior quality sound, my sweetie wouldn't hear the links and the door beeps anyway.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th 17, 04:05   #10
Looney
Ambassador

Well I am loving every minute on Go90. I think maybe it is a combination of earbuds and I've been able to play it through some surround sound. I had it on while I was doing some work and I was just listening in the background. Points of Departure, 2.1, was the episode. Sheridan is questioning Kalain. In the background there is a sound that seems like we're supposed to assume it is general station ambient noise. It is not a new effect, but the scene is pretty quiet, as is this background sound, and it sounds like there is either a thunderstorm going on or a battle going on in the distance under their conversation. I was just a great audio moment for me so I thought I'd share. Just be glad I am limiting these updates because I am hearing all kinds of stuff in every episode.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote