B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Confessions And Lamentations
A -- Excellent 28 53.85%
B -- Good 16 30.77%
C -- Average 3 5.77%
D -- Poor 3 5.77%
F -- Failure 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20th 05, 01:42   #31
RW7427

Re: EpDis: Comes The Inquisitor

Good old Wayne Alexander! He played lots of parts on B5, and IMO, played them all quite well.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 05, 02:16   #32
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Good old Wayne Alexander! He played lots of parts on B5, and IMO, played them all quite well.
Especially the ones I didn't notice.

Seriously, though, that is the curse of the excellent character actor. The better he is, the more he disappears into the part.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 05, 20:13   #33
QMCO5
Ranger

I give the episode a B, not for any lack in the acting, but I guess more the tone and premise. JMS with his psychology major loves to rip open the human psyche for emotional and values exploration, especially with the prisoner format. The only humor I saw in the episode was Lennier attempting to explain or defend Kosh's request in front of Sheridan. I doubt very much whether the Vorlons believe any of that impure motive yields impure results stuff.

I found the plot incredible that the virtually omniscient, and certainly telepathic, Vorlons should have "doubts" or even need confirmation after all they had done to set up Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan to maintain the order of the universe as they saw it. If Kosh had approached Sheridan to be the prisoner he probably would have told Kosh to stick it. Sheridan was quite prepared to go off and take on the Shadows single handed.

QMCO5
QMCO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 08:25   #34
Boxie
Telepath

Send a message via MSN to Boxie Send a message via Yahoo to Boxie

I loved the episode and gave it an "A"! I loved everything about it!

The whole cast was just wonderful! I couldn't agree more with what has been said about the talented Mr. Alexander, he honestly kept me spellbound. I remember holding my breath during the last of his dialogue as the Inquisitor, and then saying aloud with him one word...."Jack". Amazing!
Boxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 10:25   #35
deaded
Telepath

Quote:
Unspeakably great. Mira blows me away every time. Witness:

"Am I close, Mr Sebastian?" Strong, defiant.

"This body is only a shell. You cannot touch me. You cannot harm me. I am not afraid." Serene, victorious.

Magnificent. And I don't know why, I know it's coming every time, but that last ".....known only as Jack." makes me go cold to my soles every time. Astounding.
I'll bet you're a big Greg Benford fan too?

Ah... Wayne Alexander! He's da MAN! He's as much a B5 icon as Lyta or Vir. He must have been close to the casting director or JMS or somebody cuz he's all over the place. And he's so good that the only way I knew it was him was the credits. Actually, I never even suspected that he was Sebastian until I read it here. He's one smoooooth dude.

... oh, and I gave this ep a B. I liked it, and I like the continuity and growth of Sheridan and Delen. Also you see their love really bloom here (not that it's a good thing). I'm just so sick of the whole, "Jack the Ripper," thing. I mean, if it had not just been done by STTNG, then ok, but it makes it seem copycatish to me. I mean, I guessed that he was JtR way too soon in the show. A twist would have been nice here and a whole episode dedicated to an extremely predictable end just doesn't cut it in my book. I can't see this standing up to episodes like, "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum," "Falling Toward Apotheosis," "Into the Fire," "Epiphanies," "Z'ha'dum," or, "War Without End." I mean, it's good, it's B5, but it's not, "WOAH!"
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 14:41   #36
hypatia
First One

The Next Generation did a Jack the Ripper episode? That one escapes me. Do you recall what its title/season is?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 16:56   #37
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
The Next Generation did a Jack the Ripper episode? That one escapes me. Do you recall what its title/season is?
Ditto.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 17:36   #38
Stanley
Ranger

Quote:
IIRC, he was Jack, Lorien, the Drakh in s5 (Shiv'k'la or something), the Drazi in Intersections in real time, and various other bits requiring a decent actor behind an alien mask.
According to his website, he was G'Dan in "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place."
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 05, 17:59   #39
Stanley
Ranger

Quote:
I found the plot incredible that the virtually omniscient, and certainly telepathic, Vorlons should have "doubts" or even need confirmation after all they had done to set up Sinclair, Delenn and Sheridan to maintain the order of the universe as they saw it.
jms said, "...the test was in some ways (most, actually) more for Delenn's benefit than Kosh's...."
Old October 21st 05, 19:09   #40
Stanley
Ranger

Quote:
Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: Who Was Jack The Ripper Really???
To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 7/25/1998 7:20:00 PM

Who was the one person whose wife actually wrote a letter to the London Times suggesting that the ripper maybe was trying to tell them something, and that maybe he'd stop if they listened? Who was the last person to see at least two of the victims alive on missions of mercy to the jail? Who was reported to have become unhinged by the filth in the area around the murders when he found a rat in his breakfast? Who had medical experience? Who left England suddenly after being questioned, with the murders stopping soon afterward? Whose transcripts of interviews with church officials and British police are *still* kept under lock and key? Who is the sort of person who might say -- as the only witness to hear the ripper reported hearing him remark to one of his victims -- "You would do anything but pray?" Who had the same last name -- and was a likely relative -- of the man living with the very last victim, the only one killed in her room (suggesting she knew the killer)?

The Reverend Samuel Barnett. That's my choice.
jms
Whether or not he's right about this, the idea that Sebastian was a clergyman gone mad makes perfect sense.