B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 13th 06, 20:03   #1
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Kosh and Song

I'm curious what people think about these passages spoken by Ambassador Kosh:

Talia seeks understanding, to which Kosh tells her "Then listen to the music, not the song.

He later tells Sheridan (in the dream Sheridan had aboard the Streib Ship) "I listened to the song. Your thoughts became the song.

I'd love to hear what people think this means metaphorically and symbolically. =)
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 20:09   #2
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Re: Kosh and Song

My first analysis is that he's telling Talia to stop listening to the song and hear only the music. He's telling a woman who is well-trained in the skill of mind-focus to pay more attention to the music than the words themselves. To stop thinking and analyzing.

Yet, he tells Sheridan that his "thoughts became the song" and that Kosh listened to it. Perhaps he meant that Sheridan's mind was becoming sharper? More focused?

thoughts?
Old July 13th 06, 20:30   #3
fisheggs
Techno-mage

I always figgured that JMS was comparing Mental to Musical Talent. Telepaths "hear" the whole and learn to focus on the specific in their training, ie searching for specific thoughts, not the entirety of a person and Vorlons tend to deal with a larger symphony, their ability to listen to and influence many minds at once, exhibited by Kosh's emergence to save Sheidan. That's for Talia. With Sheridan I felt it was foreshadowing Sheridans position as a Nexus. When he "sings", the universe tends to "sing along".
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 21:18   #4
puzzle
Telepath

I did wonder if Kosh took notice of Sheridan's thoughts because it found itself featured in his dream. It could be an ambiguous way of telling something like:

"You seem to have been thinking of future, and your thoughts included my role. I hope you don't mind if I pirated a copy and also thought about it."

Kosh is obviously a bad-ass music pirate, with no phear of RIAA or anything. It just has very odd taste, and considers other people's thoughts a form of audiovisual entertainment. I wonder if Sheridan's dream passed for a punk rock concert, opera or musical?
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th 06, 21:48   #5
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Wow, you guys have some amazing stuff here. and LMAO, puzzle! Some food for thought for sure.

Do you think it could also have to do with certain songs and how the artist may sing (lyrically) about one thing, but the tone of the music is really giving you another message. For example, a singer is singing about how he hates his ex-GF, but the music is very soft and loving, almost suggesting that he is still in love with her despite what he says in the lyrics.
Old July 13th 06, 22:16   #6
hypatia
First One

Quote:
I'm curious what people think about these passages spoken by Ambassador Kosh:

Talia seeks understanding, to which Kosh tells her "Then listen to the music, not the song.

He later tells Sheridan (in the dream Sheridan had aboard the Streib Ship) "I listened to the song. Your thoughts became the song.

I'd love to hear what people think this means metaphorically and symbolically. =)
I sometimes wonder if JMS really had anything specific in mind with many of his Vorlon lines.

Quote:
"Then listen to the music, not the song.
One guess: this is saying stop looking at the final result, look to the source instead.

Quote:
I listened to the song. Your thoughts became the song.
Perhaps this is how Vorlons perceive language. Or thoughts.

Again, if they really mean anything specific at all, and were not just designed to sound cryptic and mysterious.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 06, 01:15   #7
vacantlook

Quote:
Perhaps this is how Vorlons perceive language. Or thoughts.
Well, some of the canon novels describe Kosh's ship as humming along to Kosh's song, or something close to that.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 06, 04:01   #8
RW7427

And Dr. Jacobs said that Kosh's ship sang to him when he was inside it.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 06, 04:14   #9
hypatia
First One

I wonder what it was saying.

"Who is this jerk you so rudely stuffed into me?"
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 06, 04:39   #10
vacantlook

Quote:
"Who is this jerk you so rudely stuffed into me?"
Well, the way that the ship is described in the books, if I remember it all correctly, it seemed to take pleasure in doing whatever Kosh told it to do regardless of if it understood what all was going on. That whole Vorlons and order thing.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote