B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Eyes
A -- Excellent 13 39.39%
B -- Good 18 54.55%
C -- Average 2 6.06%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9th 05, 04:04   #1
vacantlook

EpDis: A Voice In The Wilderness Part 1

Next.

Refresher Links:
Lurker's Guide Main Page for A Voice In The Wilderness Part 1
Lurker's Guide Extended Synopsis for A Voice In The Wilderness Part 1
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 09:57   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: EpDis: A Voice In The Wilderness Part 1

I never thought much about this episode -- until I'd finished the series and then watched it again. A lot of foreshadowing and character development there....

Overall I liked it mostly because it started out slow and only gradually built, giving us a bit of a sense of how the station worked on the, oh, four or five weeks total that the world wasn't falling apart.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 12:54   #3
RMcD
First One

It's weird that B5 only produced two 2-parters in five years. I suppose that once the episodes became so heavily serialised, it just wasn't necessary..

A Voice in the Wilderness is a little slow, I think, especially towards the end - there isn't quite enough plot to spread it out. A couple of random thoughts: I like the way that the Mars revolt is slipped into the background, though it's actually a major blip on the B5 timeline - it helps give a sense that there's a big universe out beyond the station. And Lise Hampton - who'd have thought from this that she'd be making appearances right up to the end of S5?

It seems strange that G'Kar is absent, though there are some neat moments for the other characters.

Also, I'd never fully appreciated the extent to which this episode pays homage to the film Forbidden Planet until I saw it recently - everything from the Great Machine to certain CGI background shots.

I always laugh at the alien at the end who manages to learn English in the course of issuing an ultimatum - must have been tough on the actor.

This episode gets a B+ from me.
RMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 13:04   #4
Shaal Mayan
First One

I give this on a C grade average nice setup for future story lines but the whole episode could have done in one .
Shaal Mayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 16:25   #5
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
It's weird that B5 only produced two 2-parters in five years. I suppose that once the episodes became so heavily serialised, it just wasn't necessary.
I've always seen Messages From Earth/Point of No Return/Severed Dreams as a three-parter, since there's next to no intervening time between them.

Quote:
And Lise Hampton - who'd have thought from this that she'd be making appearances right up to the end of S5?
Ah, Babylon 5 -- where even insignificant extras can be catapulted into importance. Lise Hampton, Lt. Corwin, and best of all, Ta'Lon.

Quote:
It seems strange that G'Kar is absent
I was just noticing this myself. See my new thread....
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 17:22   #6
GKarsEye
First One

I like Draal, this one much more than the blustering, slapstick one we see later.

The first thing I think of when I look at this episode is Londo. It's his last hurrah, last noble and "fun" adventure before entering the darkness that would consume the rest of his life. Once you've seen the series straight through, Londo in this episode takes on a whole new meaning- the first viewing, it's comical or silly. The second one, it's bittersweet.

Delenn continues to be pious and arrogant and annoying. I really don't like her as a person those first couple of seasons. After she hits bottom and claws her way on top and starts to kick ass, I'm in love with her.

What really bothers me about the Great Machine is that they didn't know it was there. There just happened to be one of the most powerful and mysterious devices in the galaxy sitting little right under the station and- oops- no one had the foggiest notion. Ok.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 18:03   #7
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
What really bothers me about the Great Machine is that they didn't know it was there. There just happened to be one of the most powerful and mysterious devices in the galaxy sitting little right under the station and- oops- no one had the foggiest notion. Ok.
That is simply good camouflage. If the Great Machine does not transmit and keeps its doors closed only a detailed survey would find it several miles underground.

The odd thing is that one of the Zathras brothers did not take Draal to Babylon 5.
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 18:18   #8
hypatia
First One

Quote:
The odd thing is that one of the Zathras brothers did not take Draal to Babylon 5.
Man, that never occured to me before. Maybe he didn't have a shuttle?
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 19:07   #9
vacantlook

Quote:
I don't understand this statement. Why would a Zathras brother transport Draal to B5 from the Minbari homeworld? Do you mean why didn't a Zathras brother transport the dying Varn from the planet to the station instead of leaving it up to Ivanova and Sinclair to go down to the planet and bring him back?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th 05, 19:24   #10
hypatia
First One

That's what I assumed he meant, VL.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote