B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Mind War
A -- Excellent 16 41.03%
B -- Good 16 41.03%
C -- Average 7 17.95%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22nd 04, 11:29   #41
GKarsEye
First One

Re: EpDis: Deathwalker

Quote:
Did we ever see a Vree?? Are they the ones with the "gas mask" look?
You are thinking of the Gaim, perhaps. They have those "gas masks" and speak through glowing orbs.

The Vree are X-Files type grey aliens. You see one in the beginning of Grail, where one is being sued by a human because his grandfather was abducted by the Vree's ancestor. The implication is that the Vree are the Roswell/UFO/conspiracy aliens that visited Earth.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd 04, 12:30   #42
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

We'll pretend that I didn't just simultaneously post the exact same thing.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd 04, 23:39   #43
RW7427

Oh, I forgot to add that I like Na'Toth (the one played by Julie Caitlin Brown) because she kicks ass. And she does in this ep literally.
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th 04, 21:26   #44
GreenMonkey
Lurker

Quote:
"You and the rest of your kind take blind confidence in the belief that we are monsters--that you could never do what we did. The key ingredient in the [serum] cannot be synthesized; it must be taken from living beings. For one to live forever, another one must die. You will fall upon one another like wolves. It'll make what we did pale by comparison. The billions who live forever will be a testimony to my work, and the billions who were murdered to buy that immortality will be the continuance of my work. Not like us? You will become us. That's my monument, Commander
Make the episode a B, right there.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th 04, 23:07   #45
hypatia
First One

Thanks for the quote, GreenMonkey. I had forgotten the "testimony" and "continuance" part of that quote.

It really is one of the early, excellent examples of writing that really does make everything in the episode, for a moment, stop.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th 04, 04:51   #46
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
Make the episode a B, right there.
I agree. I give this episode a B+, and if the editing (it's a little jumpy in spots), the handling of the League characters, and the computer graphics for the League ships had all been slightly better, I would have upped that to the A range.

It's still in my Top 5 of Season 1.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th 08, 21:20   #47
Cell
Telepath

New review,

http://worldsoforos.com/secondviews/...-109/#more-498
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th 08, 15:24   #48
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

A fair analysis, but I dispute your contention that Talia's second personality was a "retcon." Here's JMS on the subject, courtesy (as always) of the Lurker's Guide:

Quote:
One other thought on Talia...one of the motifes we've played with from the start was always showing Talia in mirrors...in Race, in Z'ha'dum and others...always showing the reflection, her opposite, just to set stuff up on an emotional/symbological level.
Quote:
The Talia situation likely could've been finessed more smoothly than it was, no mistake. Sometimes there are going to be ragged spots. It's going to happen.
There's also stuff about how it was Talia's alternate personality that was "Control" in "Spider in the Web."

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 08, 02:13   #49
Cell
Telepath

I know all about that, but I don't buy it. The Talia as traitor was a retcon, that's the way it always came across to me. It wasn't a bad retcon mind you, but I do think JMS is being delusional by trying to claim that it was set up from the beginning, when by watching the series you can see it clearly wasn't. They were setting up for Talia to change, but not into another personality. All the mirrors and stuff like that was a nice way of setting up her eventual turn from the Corps and the life she knew to her new superpowered ways with the Vorlons. If JMS's explanation works for you that's cool, but to me it's an obvious retcon.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st 08, 04:44   #50
maneth
Ambassador

What struck me most about this episode, aside from the awesome Deathwalker, was that Kosh spoke a clear and unambiguous line for once: "You are not ready for immortality". He's usually so cryptic that when he isn't, it stays with you...